I Just Cannot Contain My Excitement

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Of the POTENTIAL of the Seahawks Pass-Rush Going Forward...

Just looking at Sacks without emphasis on QB hits or Hurries, while keeping history/past sucess and relative potential (where dominant players open things up for others) as well as independent potential (where players improve on individual skill) in mind... I can see the Seahawks close to 60 Sacks if Quinn keeps attacking with a variety of players in a variety of ways.

Michael Bennett- 12 Sacks (Team Total by Stacking)

Arguably everyone's favorite new but old Seahawk. Some call him the Big Homeless but he's more like a supersonic bowlingball of crouching tiger, hidden dragon style. Plus, the dude's a force against the rush.

Cliff Avril- 10 Sacks (22)

A lot of people had some bad things to say about Avril. And he didn't change perceptions being injured all off-season. I think he got a bad rap being the most notable weakness on a bad run defending defense being asked to line up on an island in the wide 9. Without elite run-stopping personell in the 2ndary and Lber corps, that's a mismatch every time running at the isolated player.

Seahawks put Avril in the Nickel LEO role at LE for now but could line up at other positions as he continues to knock off his injury rust. Avril so far has thrived and I think he will only continue get better as the team continue to evaluate his strength and weaknesses within these scheme on the fly. Also, did not know he was the master of the strip-sack. He made Kaepernick his bitch with a little help from his friend, Bennett

Chris Clemons- 8 Sacks (30)

I suspect Clemons will take a small step back physically but because he won't be burdened with carrying the pass-rush and having a better supporting cast he will still flourish as an all-around DE who can get a tad streaky at times at finishing but plays with consistent effort on each down.

Bruce Irvin- 8 Sacks (38)

In my head I think he can go 12 sacks in 12 games. But its hard to determine his snaps with so many players deserving of rotation. While others have strongly disagreed, I think Irvin is going to be special down the road. This season however with so many experienced play-making pass-rush talent around him, he's going to be one hell of a clean-up artist. Any QB flushed quickly out of the pocket will be hearing Noms Noms as Irvin flashes and feasts

The Other DTs- 16 Sacks (52)

McDonald- 6 Sacks, Mebane- 4 Sacks, McDaniel- 2 Sacks, Bryant- 2 Sacks, Hill- 2 Sacks.

McDonald is beasting his return, making a statement. I just love that he looks the part. No gut with power and quickness. Mebane seems like a lock to always put in 3 or 4. And I think McDaniel will put in 2 or 3. Bryant is due, eventually he won't get a QB who will escape barely as he collapses the pocket. Hill, will be the odd man out in terms opportunities but I think he will flash in limited chances much like Scruggs.

Linebackers/ Other LEOs- 10 Sacks (62 Total)

In this group you have 6 players with decent to quality pass-rush ability: Schoefield, Smith, Mayowa, Morgan, Wagner, and Wright.

Defensive Backs- 3 Sacks (65 Sacks)

Quinn will creatively dial pressure and at times it might be successful.

However, 65 seems a little excessive, and we have to take into account that this Defense does not allow many opportunities in terms of opposing offensive snaps at least they haven't thus far so I think it would be reasonable to shave 15 sacks off the POTENTIAL which gives us a more realistic 50. Which would have been 4th in the NFL in 2012. Depending on the match-ups, it might be even more realistic to put it at 50 +/- 5 for a 45-55 sack range.

However, I will admit the Seahawks have a wall to climb having just 7 sacks in 3 games which is good for 38 sacks on the season. Averaging 3.0 sacks a game the rest of the season would put the Seahawks at 46 total. Averaging a crazy difficult 4.0 per game would put them at 59. In 2012, the best pass-rush teams both averaged 3.25 sacks per game... if we matched that the rest of the way in 2012 equates to 49-50 sacks.

Although doing the research shows that the 60 sack goal I've been dropping was ill informed to the reality, I will say that, on this short season, the Chiefs are on pace for 80 sacks. 4 other teams are on pace for 60 plus with a lot of other teams within a 40-50 pace as well. But as they say defenses are better than offenses early on.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not to brag but I've been getting better at using the keyboard on my phone too.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think you'll see offenses adjust with max protect and three-step drops once the D-line really gets rolling, which makes 60 seem out of reach, but that's a good thing. Having that much firepower in our front seven will prevent good QBs from sitting in the rocking chair and picking the secondary apart. Even the LOB won't be able to cover everyone for plus-5 seconds.

The potential for those numbers is there, which is awesome!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":369tehgl said:
LOL....way to go!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pandion, what keyboard do you use on your phone? You should try Swype if you haven't. Takes a while to get used to, but it's amazing and makes typing on a phone far less arduous.

In regards to the topic at hand, I have a question. Is there any problem with our team that John Schneider and Pete Carroll can't fix when they put their minds to it? It seems like they go "overboard" in trying to address problems, and they do it with serious success.

The offensive line might be their bane now that I think about it, though. Hmmm...

ivotuk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1mpaxl78 said:
Pandion, what keyboard do you use on your phone? You should try Swype if you haven't. Takes a while to get used to, but it's amazing and makes typing on a phone far less arduous.

In regards to the topic at hand, I have a question. Is there any problem with our team that John Schneider and Pete Carroll can't fix when they put their minds to it? It seems like they go "overboard" in trying to address problems, and they do it with serious success.

The offensive line might be their bane now that I think about it, though. Hmmm...

Swype is fantastic. I have it on my galaxy and kindle fire and it makes a huge difference. It's part of the reason I sold my ipad and bought the kindle fire.

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1b9bure7 said:

No sarcasm- that's something worth bragging about. I've typed a few big posts on a phone before. It sucked.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2egs2ezm said:
I think you'll see offenses adjust with max protect and three-step drops once the D-line really gets rolling, which makes 60 seem out of reach, but that's a good thing. Having that much firepower in our front seven will prevent good QBs from sitting in the rocking chair and picking the secondary apart. Even the LOB won't be able to cover everyone for plus-5 seconds.

The potential for those numbers is there, which is awesome!

Our CBs are the best press man corners in the game. That tends to take away a lot of the routes in a 3 step drop. You need to establish the run against this team, then hit them with PA over the LBers heads. Or try spreading them out and see how you match up against our dime CB.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":3qs28kiq said:
Swype is fantastic. I have it on my galaxy and kindle fire and it makes a huge difference. It's part of the reason I sold my ipad and bought the kindle fire.
High five, broseph. I've been pimping it to everyone I know for years.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Erebus":iu2a0q48 said:
I think you're way too optimistic on McDonald. Six sacks would put him in the Pro Bowl.

McDonald has 1.5 sacks in 2 games. I know it was vs Jax but he was already flashed brightly vs the 49ers.

Right now, if he keeps up his average which he won't he'd have about 11 sacks.

To reach my way too optimistic goal of 6, McDonald would have to average about .35 sacks in 13 games. Or realistically about 1 sack every 3 games or 1.5 sacks every 4 games. Either way he would reach my goal in 12 games with a game to spare.

With Dan Quinn and his D-Line genius plus 6 more home games to play with the 12th man... 4.5 sacks in 13 games doesn't seem too hard to accomplish.

yeastmode

Reaction score
Great OP. I think they way we are built on defense right now makes us match up very well against pass first teams we could see in the playoffs like GB and Atlanta, or NE and Denver in a possible SB match-up. The one thing that concerns me about loading up on all these 280-ish pound hybrid D-linemen and playing them in the middle as we seem to be doing is it leaves us potentially vulnerable to a power rushing team that decides to hog up and run right at our smallish interior D-line.

Not that there are just a whole lot of teams that emphasize a power running game first anymore, but we might get a a dose of it this weekend against Houston - who are ninth in the league in rushing yards so far - and will most certainly get a dose of it in two weeks against Indy - fourth overall in rushing and looking to improve. Getting Hill back will help with the interior bulk somewhat, but as things stand we are the twelfth defense against the run so far this season - respectable if not especially impressive. If we continue to go for speed over size on the interior of our D-line in an all out attempt to get the QB every play, I would not be surprised to see teams take the ball out of the QB's hands and run right at us with delays, draws, etc. If that happens it will be interesting to see what, if any, success such a strategy has, and what adjustments we make.

Largent80

Reaction score
Looking forward to Bruce coming back and Clem hitting his stride. A nice problem to have.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I also to the sub convo...

I do have swype but I have one of the smaller smart phones and fat fingers (although women have never complained).

They sell styluses for smart phones right... like with the heated tip? I could invest in one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep.

Houston makes me VERY nervous.

Combined with the loss of one of our most important pieces (our LT), and it is almost dread.

These next two games are going to go a long way in illuminating just what kind of team we have, the one that struggled with Carolina or the one that manhandled SF (which might not be much of an accomplishment since Indy did the same thing to them in SF).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":13ho3gsa said:
I also to the sub convo...

I do have swype but I have one of the smaller smart phones and fat fingers (although women have never complained).

They sell styluses for smart phones right... like with the heated tip? I could invest in one.
Just buy a Galaxy Note 3 for your next smartphone. It comes out in the U.S. in like, days. They do sell all manner of stylus, but frankly, I'm not a fan of them in general because they don't interact very precisely with capacitive touch screens. They were designed for resistive touch screens. The Galaxy Note series also has its own custom stylus built right into the phone, so regardless for a person with big hands, that phone is MADE for you.

Latest posts