How Special is This Team?

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
History says it’s pretty special…
This is the 37th season in the history of the Seahawk franchise. In all that time, longer than some fans have been alive, there have been only 6 double digit win seasons, three in the Holmgren era and two in the Knox era.

With this 11-5 record it ranks third all time, behind only Holmgren’s 2005 season and Knox’ 1984.

In those 37 years there have been five they have scored more than 400 points, despite a slow start, with 412 points this season they rank third, again, to only the ’05 and ’84 seasons.

There’s been only three other Seahawk teams to have over a 100 point differential between offensive points and defensive points, this makes the fourth and at 167 it ranks behind only the ’05 team.

They have ranked in the top 10 in both offense and defense (in either yards or points) only five times including this year.

With 245 points this is the best defense to ever wear a Seahawk uniform and their highest ranking ever, in points and yards (at 1 and 4 respectively).

So yes this is a very special team indeed and could be the start of another very special era…

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Does what you do in the playoffs count towards how special your team is?

They need to get at least one, or they are not even as special as that 7-9 beastquake team.

hai

Reaction score
VaporHawk":ewz2ontu said:

They need to get at least one, or they are not even as special as that 7-9 beastquake team.

Also considering that i think this Redskin team is not as explosive or... experienced as the Saints team then, and MH had to really carry that offense with some huge running by Lynch. And we totally showed our weakness against the Bears the week later in the trenches, reason why we went O-line again next season with Carp and Moffit.

However, we now consider that Cutler is with Marshall again is so amazing, Marshall practically catches everything Cutler throws at him. The Bears defense was #2 or something and we played a very physical game, and hard fought with our new and improved Offense after losing to Miami in the prior week.

So, with a #4 overall ranked defense, and a very balanced and effective Offense, i don't know how we can lose this game unless our supposed strength on defense this year and last year before Bryant got hurt, was stopping the Run, which is Redskins strongest area. And Sherman and maybe Browner harassing Santana Moss, and i see Irvin having a good game on the edge this weekend, but our secondary isn't a weakness either, and our Linebackers are intellect beyond their years, when was the last time a team offensively scored on us at will, don't recall.

Now were back to our offense with Wilson and Lynch doing their magic, i see a very fun game, two of the OROY candidates battling it out for reign and chance to move further to their dreams. Can't wait.

Hope they get at least one.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hai":1g8mib1l said:
VaporHawk":1g8mib1l said:

Also considering that i think this Redskin team is not as explosive or... experienced as the Saints team then, and MH had to really carry that offense with some huge running by Lynch. And we totally showed our weakness against the Bears the week later in the trenches, reason why we went O-line again next season with Carp and Moffit.

However, we now consider that Cutler is with Marshall again is so amazing, Marshall practically catches everything Cutler throws at him. The Bears defense was #2 or something and we played a very physical game, and hard fought with our new and improved Offense after losing to Miami in the prior week.

So, with a #4 overall ranked defense, and a very balanced and effective Offense, i don't know how we can lose this game unless our supposed strength on defense this year and last year before Bryant got hurt, was stopping the Run, which is Redskins strongest area. And Sherman and maybe Browner harassing Santana Moss, and i see Irvin having a good game on the edge this weekend, but our secondary isn't a weakness either, and our Linebackers are intellect beyond their years, when was the last time a team offensively scored on us at will, don't recall.

Now were back to our offense with Wilson and Lynch doing their magic, i see a very fun game, two of the OROY candidates battling it out for reign and chance to move further to their dreams. Can't wait.

Hope they get at least one.

Huh?

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
VaporHawk":xd41qd62 said:

Well let’s see…

We beat every play-off team we faced and knocked 10-6 Chicago out of the play-offs
Beat the NFC East representative we faced (when they were healthy) 27-7
Held the best scoring offense in the league to 23 points
Scored 42 points on the “second” best defense in the league
We’re 4-1 against like opponents in this game

So I like our chances to be "even more special",,,

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
And this was in Seattle with Rex Grossman and Roy Helu just last season. I know RW >> Tavaris Jackson but I like our chances at home. If our D plays the way it did against Dallas, I like our chances.

Team Stat Comparison
WSH SEA
1st Downs 22 15
Passing 1st downs
15 8
Rushing 1st downs
4 6

Total Plays 65 62
Total Yards 416 250
Yards per play 6.4 4.0
Total Drives 13 12
Passing 306 126
Comp - Att
26-35 14-30
Yards per pass
8.7 4.2
Interceptions thrown
2 1
Sacks - Yards Lost
1-8 2-18
Rushing 110 124
Rushing Attempts
29 30
Yards per rush
3.8 4.1
Red Zone (Made-Att) 1-3 1-2
Penalties 10-115 9-91
Turnovers 2 1
Fumbles lost
0 0
Interceptions thrown
2 1
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
Possession 33:20 26:40

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
This just shows that on any given Sunday a team can win, so yeah I agree there. I like our chances a little more though, especially with a better LB group out there than what we had last season.

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":tf9drv3y said:
This just shows that on any given Sunday a team can win, so yeah I agree there. I like our chances a little more though, especially with a better LB group out there than what we had last season.

True, and we were on a 6 game losing streak last year before that game. Apparently players from each of the teams had to be separated before the coin toss and our players took offense and played with a chip on their shoulder, esp the 1st and 4th quarter.

Should be interesting...you have a 7-9 team that's now 11-5 and a 5-11 team that's now 10-6 playing each other.

Both Pete Carroll and Shanahan are on the 3rd year of their contract, with this being the first year real results have begun to be reaped.

Both teams have really picked well in the draft, particularly the later rounds...most notably people like Chancellor and Morris.

Should be a great game. I'm not as scared of the Seattle offense being a mismatch for our secondary as I was Dallas, but your ground game is much better and Lynch is a beast. Your defense has real fight this season and has like you said improved LB play...and you have Chancellor molding his game after Sean Taylor so he in essence is a safety that plays like an extra LB himself. The Dallas LB play was a joke last week and that's a major reason we were able to gash them on the run when they played 2 safeties deep all game.

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":2iaphy4d said:
And this was in Seattle with Rex Grossman and Roy Helu just last season. I know RW >> Tavaris Jackson but I like our chances at home. If our D plays the way it did against Dallas, I like our chances.

Team Stat Comparison
WSH SEA
1st Downs 22 15
Passing 1st downs
15 8
Rushing 1st downs
4 6

Total Plays 65 62
Total Yards 416 250
Yards per play 6.4 4.0
Total Drives 13 12
Passing 306 126
Comp - Att
26-35 14-30
Yards per pass
8.7 4.2
Interceptions thrown
2 1
Sacks - Yards Lost
1-8 2-18
Rushing 110 124
Rushing Attempts
29 30
Yards per rush
3.8 4.1
Red Zone (Made-Att) 1-3 1-2
Penalties 10-115 9-91
Turnovers 2 1
Fumbles lost
0 0
Interceptions thrown
2 1
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
Possession 33:20 26:40

Personally I hope Griffin throws the ball 35 times, that would mean

A.He’s playing from behind by a score or two
B.He’s had to abandon the run game
C.He would be playing into the Seahawks strength and is more likely to make a mistake

Now if he throws less than 25 times and runs less than 5 times THEN I’ll be worried...

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
This team is special. If we hold on to most of, or all of our core players for at least three more years, I think we can very well do outstanding things and top what we did this year, next year. Granted, we do have to get it done in the postseason, where it matters most, this time is very special.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am not sure if this makes me excited thinking this team is special or just sad about the past........

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
This team is special because they are consistently improving and they are so young. Every year since PC took over has been a step forward, even game to game.

There aren't band-aids in place to compensate for the lack of talent, there isn't a single part of the team's play where one says "we have to make a lot of improvement there".

We have seen it coming together at a very methodical pace, when PC took over, we saw it in toughness and physicality, in 2011 we saw it in the run game and defense, in 2012 we saw it in the passing game and the whole time the other pieces sustained and grew.

Even the road games, in 2010 we were getting killed on the road, in 2011 the team had one road blowout against the Steelers early in the season. That would be the last one. In 2012 the 5 road losses they had were by a total of 24 points. TOTAL. Think about that. The Hawks handed the Niners a road loss by 29 points in one game, the Hawks biggest loss? By 7 to that same team earlier. Oh yeah, they were 8-0 at home no matter how you break it down and played in a division that is notably better than most.

That is what makes this team special, but they are still growing and that is what makes them dangerous.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
go one and done in the first round my answer is "meh". Mediocrity is no longer acceptable. Who cares if you go 11-5 if you take a dump in the 1st round of the playoffs.