How Much Impact Will Tavon Austin Have for the Rams?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":157ir9e6 said:
Thanks for the opinions, guys. they really varied which is nice to see.

My opinion...

It wouldn't take much for him to improve our KR/PR position. We had a plethora of guys trying to fill the roles last year. A few off the top of my head are Jenkins, Pettis, Givens, Pead, and Richardson. None really did worth a darn. Surprisingly, Danny Ammendola has been our best returner the last couple seasons. We know that story.

Coincidently enough, Austin will be filling the role of Ammendola role this season. What did Ammendola do for us last season? Danny made his money running typically shorter routes where his elite quickness was lethal. In fact, he was our only pass catcher last season who could consistently get open. I don't think it's a stretch to say he was nearly uncoversble 1 on 1, but teams did take him away with when their scheme was right.

What really has me excited is Austin makes Ammendola look a little sluggish, his speed and quickness is nearly unmatched. If Ammendola could do what he did with his skill set, then Austin, in theory, will be able to do much more.

Here is the kicker, though. Who REALLY replaces Ammendola for the Rams? Jared Cook typically lines up in the slot, as well. At 6-5, 250 lbs, 4.49 40, and a 41" verticle, he could be as big of a match up nightmare as Austin. So when Austin and Cook are both on the field, the Rams can put Cook in the slot and line up Austin anywhere, including halfback. That is potentially a devastating formula for the Rams's opposition.

So, the options on offense with Austin and supporting cast are seemingly endless right now. Rams fans haven't been able to say that in nearly a decade. I hope this sheds light on our enthusiasm.

Be honest, don't lie. How many Titans games did you actually watch last year? You gave all of Cook's measurables. I want to know what you saw.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2554kvhz said:
Be honest, don't lie. How many Titans games did you actually watch last year? You gave all of Cook's measurables. I want to know what you saw.

You know what's awesome? You can go watch all 16 games in ~8.5-9 hours then come back in give an opinion with NFL Game Rewind, lol. Maybe if he doesn't respond until tomorrow, we'll know that's what he did. :)

candyman4881

Reaction score
As a Rams fan, I am very encouraged to finally see offensive playmakers and speed. That being said, I see Austin struggling a bit in the first part of the year at least. The one positive I see of him over Harvin is that he appears to avoid contact, and has a little Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt in him to get out of bounds and go to the next play rather than fight for an extra yard to two and risk being blown up/injured. That is why I do not see him as an injury prone player - I dont believe he missed a single game at West Virginia because he knows to avoid contact.

On Jared Cook, I saw a few games of the Titans last year, and what I saw was really shoddy QB play. I dont think that Locker is an NFL caliber QB, and hopefully him and Bradford can form a formidible bond. The Rams offense SHOULD be fun to watch - I dont remember the last time I said that....

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3sooihdp said:
mr.stlouis":3sooihdp said:

My opinion...

It wouldn't take much for him to improve our KR/PR position. We had a plethora of guys trying to fill the roles last year. A few off the top of my head are Jenkins, Pettis, Givens, Pead, and Richardson. None really did worth a darn. Surprisingly, Danny Ammendola has been our best returner the last couple seasons. We know that story.

Coincidently enough, Austin will be filling the role of Ammendola role this season. What did Ammendola do for us last season? Danny made his money running typically shorter routes where his elite quickness was lethal. In fact, he was our only pass catcher last season who could consistently get open. I don't think it's a stretch to say he was nearly uncoversble 1 on 1, but teams did take him away with when their scheme was right.

What really has me excited is Austin makes Ammendola look a little sluggish, his speed and quickness is nearly unmatched. If Ammendola could do what he did with his skill set, then Austin, in theory, will be able to do much more.

Here is the kicker, though. Who REALLY replaces Ammendola for the Rams? Jared Cook typically lines up in the slot, as well. At 6-5, 250 lbs, 4.49 40, and a 41" verticle, he could be as big of a match up nightmare as Austin. So when Austin and Cook are both on the field, the Rams can put Cook in the slot and line up Austin anywhere, including halfback. That is potentially a devastating formula for the Rams's opposition.

So, the options on offense with Austin and supporting cast are seemingly endless right now. Rams fans haven't been able to say that in nearly a decade. I hope this sheds light on our enthusiasm.

I saw a struggling offense lead by a shaky locker and an average at best Hassellbeck. Not to mention the Titans emphasize on running the football. Cook had a few nice moments and some frustrating drops. You think he wanted to remain a Titan? He fought to get out of there by arguing he deserved a WR franchise tag over a TE. He's in one of the best positions he could be in now. Just wait...

Can't believe you compare the two situations at all, really. Why don't we just have a debate about apples and oranges, shall we? Hmmm?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":mq8m5ljg said:
I saw a struggling offense lead by a shaky locker and an average at best Hassellbeck.

Look at Bradford's career stats and explain how he's anything better than average at best.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3odajmry said:
mr.stlouis":3odajmry said:
I saw a struggling offense lead by a shaky locker and an average at best Hassellbeck.

Look at Bradford's career stats and explain how he's anything better than average at best.

Explain to me how his supporting cast wasn't below average. So if his play was better than his supporting cast's play, just imagine what he'll do with an above average supporting cast!!! Winning!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":1mmasdsx said:
Scottemojo":1mmasdsx said:
mr.stlouis":1mmasdsx said:

My opinion...

I saw a struggling offense lead by a shaky locker and an average at best Hassellbeck. Not to mention the Titans emphasize on running the football. Cook had a few nice moments and some frustrating drops. You think he wanted to remain a Titan? He fought to get out of there by arguing he deserved a WR franchise tag over a TE. He's in one of the best positions he could be in now. Just wait...

Can't believe you compare the two situations at all, really. Why don't we just have a debate about apples and oranges, shall we? Hmmm?
You didn't answer the question. How many games did you watch? You spouted a couple of things you think are known facts about the Titans. No facts other than some combine measurables.
Because I watched every play from last year, and a lot from the previous two so I could see his progression (he was a free agent, and I wanted him for the Hawks until I watched him play, I cant say if my opines are still on here in the NFL forum, but I panned the guy after watching him)
Cook is not a QBs best friend. Great athlete, average awareness. Fast, not quick. At best, average blocker. He will do some damage in the seams, down the numbers, because that is where Bradford is best. But the sum is less than the parts.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":37s8nke5 said:
Explain to me how his supporting cast wasn't below average. So if his play was better than his supporting cast's play, just imagine what he'll do with an above average supporting cast!!! Winning!
I didn't say it wasn't. I said a good QB makes his receivers better, and that's an irrefutable statement of fact. So, you say his supporting cast is below-average; I guess that tells us what we need to know about Bradford. ;)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
heyu123":2jplp1ig said:
RolandDeschain":2jplp1ig said:
volsunghawk":2jplp1ig said:
And isn't Brian Schottenheimer their OC? The guy who was the Jets OC for 5-6 years and never fielded much more than a middling offense?

You mean the guy that had an offense that carried horrible QB extraordinaire Mark Sanchez to two AFCCGs in his first two years? Yes, yes he is.

Football Outsiders offensive efficiency DVOA for Jets: 22nd in 2009, 16th in 2010. Not bad for Sanchez. I mean seriously, look at Sanchez's stats. He makes Bradford look like what a couple of our resident Rams fans think he is. Sanchez didn't even have a 55% completion rating in either of those years, and his rookie year he had 12 TDs to 20 ints, and in 2010 he had 17 TDs to 13 ints.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his offense that carried them to the two AFCCG's. That was Rex and his defense.

Do I blame him for the jets terrible offense 100%? No, but his offenses were consistently dull and easy to defend. He had a tremendous running attack too in those years so he did have things to work with. 22nd and 16th is hardly impressive.

This was my point. Thank you.

AvengerRam

Reaction score
I don't think many Rams fans are expecting him to catch 80+ passes or have 1,000 yards receiving.

What we are expecting/hoping for is a consistent big play threat.

If he is able to give us 20 plays of 20 yards or more from scrimmage, along with a few big plays in the return game, he'll add an element to our offense that we've been sorely lacking.

rlkats

Reaction score
You better hope Kam does not put a Vernon Davis hit on lil Austin or the lil guy will break in half

Fitz the Ram

Reaction score
I think the Rams will improve a lot this year, but be even more dangerous next year when Quick and Givens are entering their third year and Bailey and Austin are in their second and understand the system better and get more acclimated to the NFL. Austin is good at avoiding big hits and going out of bounds, if he can continue doing that in the NFL i think he will be fine.

As for the Schotty, Sanchez had his best year under him in his last year with the Jets. 26 td's, 3,400 yards. also had 18 int's, but its sanchez....

So not to bad for a shabby.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the Schotty hire but hoping for the best with all these weapons.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Austin is savvy. At least he was as a college player. He presents himself as one who is likely a stable guy in the community. He has elite speed and elite athleticism. Qualities that should have been prized perhaps more than they were on this guy in the draft. I think there will be teams that regret not drafting Tavon Austin.

I'm not gonna lie... I wanted the Hawks to draft him when he was being talked about in the mid-20's range of the first round early on. I was hoping that wasn't a smoke screen, but didn't believe for 5 seconds that he wasn't "the" elite talent to be had in the draft. I felt the Hawks did the right thing picking up Percy Harvin when JS probably realized Austin wouldn't be within the reach of the Hawks. In the short term, I felt PH was the better get (if he could manage to stay healthy. Sigh.)

Anyway, Austin has always been honest about his capability and I think he is smart in that he knows what roles he can fill. Before the draft, he laughed when they asked if he could play RB in the NFL. He knows he's a slot receiver. In a more recent interview, he said the biggest adjustment to the NFL is the playbook instead of relying on signals. That will be key for his rookie year. Not sure how much improvizing will happen in the first season trying to get on the same page. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training- ... o-NFL-life

I have had my sons watch Tavon Austin highlights to compare some of his moves to Walter Payton because they play skill positions in their youth tackle leagues. (One of them is athletic enough to benefit from utilizing that stutter stride in the open field with one defender to beat - which is what he needed. It helped.) Not as much detail and quality video on YouTube of Walter Payton. Not a complete comparison, but I can see some of the same athleticism.

I have a high view of Tavon Austin which isn't very pleasing being that he plays for a divisional opponent. He comes across as a player that is tough to root against. I trust the Seahawks Defense will be able to account for Austin. They better.

Go Hawks.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm with Teamofthecentury, I would have loved seeing the Seahawks grab Tavon. Cracks me up the posters on this board ripping on him and proclaiming how he wasn't worth a first round pick. He is the type of guy I would watch a game just to see him play. He is a game changing type player and I look forward to watching him play this year I just wish he wasn't in the NFC West.

JFair

Reaction score
AvengerRam":1twf1fzz said:
I don't think many Rams fans are expecting him to catch 80+ passes or have 1,000 yards receiving.

What we are expecting/hoping for is a consistent big play threat.

If he is able to give us 20 plays of 20 yards or more from scrimmage, along with a few big plays in the return game, he'll add an element to our offense that we've been sorely lacking.

I was hoping the Hawks would get him at the end of the first. What you described is what I hoped he would be. Very reasonable to want this from him. I don't see him being a huge factor as a receiver, but he will make some big plays every now and then. He should factor in the return game nicely.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Just watched a sideline interview with him from camp. Liking this boy a lot, even moreso after watching him talk.

Avenger is correct on his assessment of what is expected. I'm starting to feel pretty happy we have him for the next few years. I expect good things this year, but don't expect him to be THE answer. Love his attitude about the game and his quiet way of talking. Seems like a solid guy.

I have higher hopes for Cook this season and expect he will be a big difference maker for our O.

Tons of Austin love though. Hope he has a season he is proud of.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RedAlice":32rz2gg9 said:
Just watched a sideline interview with him from camp. Liking this boy a lot, even moreso after watching him talk.

Avenger is correct on his assessment of what is expected. I'm starting to feel pretty happy we have him for the next few years. I expect good things this year, but don't expect him to be THE answer. Love his attitude about the game and his quiet way of talking. Seems like a solid guy.

I have higher hopes for Cook this season and expect he will be a big difference maker for our O.

Tons of Austin love though. Hope he has a season he is proud of.
Hey, I hope you make the playoffs. And Fisher had CJ, he knows how to use speed. I still think his biggest impact is on specials, and that is no small thing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":37glux60 said:
heyu123":37glux60 said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't his offense that carried them to the two AFCCG's. That was Rex and his defense.

Do I blame him for the jets terrible offense 100%? No, but his offenses were consistently dull and easy to defend. He had a tremendous running attack too in those years so he did have things to work with. 22nd and 16th is hardly impressive.

This was my point. Thank you.
My point was, he got basically average-rated offenses with Mark Sanchez at the helm. I know the Jets defense was by far the superior unit, and played a much bigger role in their success at the time. How often does an out-and-out BAD quarterback get to back-to-back AFC/NFC championship games, though? That literally might be the ONLY time that has ever happened. The Jets offense was considerably worse per DVOA in 2012 than in any of the first 3 years of Sanchez, and 2012 is the first year Schottenheimer wasn't the offensive coordinator with the Jets. I'm not saying he's some guru, or anything; but can anybody argue that someone else would have gotten any better with Sanchez? If so, I want to know who you're referring to.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
You guys cant get enough of what I say, but you have a very sour way of showing your admiration. You feel you need to reply, because I'm amazing, and yet all you wanna do is crucify me with your babble. It's all good, I understand.