How is this game not on Bevell

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3gm670ne said:
The Oline sucked, that is why we sucked.

Do people not see the trend? Here i'll try to outline it.

When the Oline is good, Bevell is one of the best OC's.

When the OLine sucks, Bevell is one of the worst OC's.

Anyone see the trend?

The trend is far too many forum members have dug their heels into the sand and refuse to come off of their agenda of hating Bevell.

So their narrative is when we win and the offense looks great, it's in spite of Bevell..........and when we lose and the offense looks terrible, it's Bevell's fault.

Which is a very shallow disingenuous opinion to have, and shows a naive uneducated way of viewing a team game like football. Logic would dictate that when the offense is doing well, all members of that offense including the players, coordinators, coaches, etc should receive credit, i.e. team game...............and when the offense does poorly those same people are ALL too blame, most of the time equally.

But hey, hater's gotta hate. So these threads are not surprising to me anymore. In fact after losses they're expected.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":aasqyy45 said:
Hawk-Lock":aasqyy45 said:

Anyone see the trend?

The trend is far too many forum members have dug their heels into the sand and refuse to come off of their agenda of hating Bevell.

So their narrative is when we win and the offense looks great, it's in spite of Bevell..........and when we lose and the offense looks terrible, it's Bevell's fault.

Which is a very shallow disingenuous opinion to have, and shows a naive uneducated way of viewing a team game like football. Logic would dictate that when the offense is doing well, all members of that offense including the players, coordinators, coaches, etc should receive credit, i.e. team game...............and when the offense does poorly those same people are ALL too blame, most of the time equally.

But hey, hater's gotta hate. So these threads are not surprising to me anymore. In fact after losses they're expected.

Yes the offensive line sucked. Yes Joey Hunt turned in the worst individual performance I can ever remember. But when you can't figure how to score more than 3 points against the 24th ranked defense then I am going to place most of the blame on the guy coordinating the offense.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9lbsddyb said:
Hawk-Lock":9lbsddyb said:

Anyone see the trend?

Your just a Bevell lover. J/K

Agree with you completely. The thing I think I laugh at the most though is the comments like mine above. If your not ready to blame Bevell for absolutely everything you are just an apologist or a Bevell lover.

Bevell has his faults like any OC and is most definitely tied to the execution of his players but to ignore how poorly this entire team played against Tampa and heap all the blame on Bevell for this one is beyond critical thinking. It's just crazy talk.

To be fair this isn't every poster that dislikes Bevell. There are some that still have the ability to dislike him without blaming him for everything from poor execution to bad weather.

I'm on the fence with him. Pretty simple really. If Pete decides to go another direction after the season I won't be sad and if he believes Bevell is our best option, I am fine with that as well.

Ozzy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3q73mro9 said:
FlyingGreg":3q73mro9 said:
And when the Panthers D line wrecks us, you will say "bring on the Packers".

:2thumbs:

What's your Xs and Os perspective on our O line against good pressuring defenses?

My perspective is the O-line handled the Eagles and they have one of the best pressuring defenses in the NFL.

Honest question was losing Britt the sole reason the drop in performance? I didn't watch closely enough to see how much of it was communication and how much was just getting beat.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
andyh64000":ktf3p0cw said:
Yes the offensive line sucked. Yes Joey Hunt turned in the worst individual performance I can ever remember. But when you can't figure how to score more than 3 points against the 24th ranked defense then I am going to place most of the blame on the guy coordinating the offense.

Most smart football people blame the players on the field actually playing the game, and in our case yesterday horrifically playing and executing said gameplan and plays.

"You know, Russell throwing picks all day, overthrowing receivers, going 1-12 on 3rd down, the WR's dropping balls and the O-line looking like a junior high line could have played much better..................but damn that Bevell!!!"

Does that make sense to you? Cause it's downright laughable to me to have that opinion after the dumpster fire we watched yesterday.

OP
OP
andyh64000

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23h9xbp6 said:
andyh64000":23h9xbp6 said:

Most smart football people blame the players on the field actually playing the game, and in our case yesterday horrifically playing and executing said gameplan and plays.

"You know, Russell throwing picks all day, overthrowing receivers, going 1-12 on 3rd down, the WR's dropping balls and the O-line looking like a junior high line could have played much better..................but damn that Bevell!!!"

Does that make sense to you? Cause it's downright laughable to me to have that opinion after the dumpster fire we watched yesterday.

I guess I must be a a dumb football person because I thought the o-corrdiator is supposed to gameplan with the tools he has and if that isn't working then adjust. It was the 24th ranked defense for gods sake and we scored 3 points. We had 1 yard passing in the 3rd quarter. I am not saying Bevell should be fired for this game but he is not blameless (apparently you think he is but I guess you are a smart football person) and should shoulder more blame than anyone else.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":16dlpfh9 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16dlpfh9 said:
FlyingGreg":16dlpfh9 said:

What's your Xs and Os perspective on our O line against good pressuring defenses?

My perspective is the O-line handled the Eagles and they have one of the best pressuring defenses in the NFL.

Honest question was losing Britt the sole reason the drop in performance? I didn't watch closely enough to see how much of it was communication and how much was just getting beat.

I think it was part of the problem, combined with Fant having the worst game of his short career by a long stretch and the line across the board completely struggling (not a surprise with three rookies in there).

This in turn impacted Wilson and I think it was in his head pretty early that this was going to be a struggle. He was inaccurate in a way we barely ever see and made uncharacteristic mistakes.

Plus the Bucs played a hell of a game on defense. Sometimes you have to admit/accept that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
andyh64000":3b1r1g58 said:
I guess I must be a a dumb football person because I though the o-corrdiator is supposed to gameplan with the tools he has and if that isn't working then adjust. It was the 24th ranked defense for gods sake and we scored 3 points. We had 1 yard passing in the 3rd quarter. I am not saying Bevell should be fired for this game but he is not blameless (apparently you think he is but I guess you are a smart football person) and should shoulder more blame than anyone else.

I'm not a smart football person, I just know how the playcalling works having listened to and watched an unhealthy amount of people who ARE "football smart" discuss it for the better part of 30 years.

During the week, Pete, Russell and Bevell get together and put in the schemes, gameplan and playcalling for the game. It's called "installing the gameplan." Like I said, a GROUP effort by all involved.

Then they practice said gameplan, plays, etc they think will work against the defense. That's the walkthrough.

Then on Sunday those very players that have been taking the reps all week march their little booties out onto the field and attempt to execute said gameplan against the other team.............and if those players and coaches execute that gameplan and plays more than the other team's defense executes their gameplan? We win.

If those players do what we did yesterday, crap the bed with terrible execution, mistakes and getting pushed around? You get what we saw, a beatdown.

You and others are blaming a very complicated failure with literally dozens of people involved on ONE person, and I'm blaming it on everyone involved, but especially the players..............as they are the ones playing the game, not Bevell.

Is he bullet proof? Hell no, he's as culpable as Pete and the players. But he sure as hell isn't THE reason like you and others keep beating the dead horse over.

Ozzy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":34ah0c84 said:
austinslater25":34ah0c84 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":34ah0c84 said:
FlyingGreg":34ah0c84 said:

I think it was part of the problem, combined with Fant having the worst game of his short career by a long stretch and the line across the board completely struggling (not a surprise with three rookies in there).

This in turn impacted Wilson and I think it was in his head pretty early that this was going to be a struggle. He was inaccurate in a way we barely ever see and made uncharacteristic mistakes.

Plus the Bucs played a hell of a game on defense. Sometimes you have to admit/accept that.

Valid point and for all the talk about Tampa not being good at getting to the QB it's a little misleading. McCoy has missed time as well as a couple other guys and rookie left DE has really started to come one. Point is this defensive line is probably better than most realize.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Sgt Largent, I agree completely; Bevell has a share of the blame. However, I think it's a little disingenuous (or even ignorant) for some to blame him solely when there was a plethora of poor execution. Two of the sustained drives we had going were ended by interceptions, resulting from poor throws from Russ (who had an atrocious game). Those play calls were fine and I believe the receivers were open in both cases, but the throws were late. Russ was uncharacteristically inaccurate all day - perhaps resulting from the constant pressure he was under since our OL forgot how to block anyone. He was even pressured on the quick throws, and when we tried to screen they were were blown up.

Were there some questionable play calls? Yes. However, I also saw a lot of good play calls that would've worked if people executed on their assignments.

We dipped below critical mass yesterday and discovered that next man up only works to a point...

Largent80

Reaction score
The one and only criticism I have for the game plan was when we got the ball to begin the 2nd half. WE had 1 one...ONE yard of passing offense the whole first half.

I wanted us to come out running, and we passed, passed, punted the entire 2nd half away, that is except for the interceptions..... :roll:

This was a TEAM loss. Kudos to the Defense though, after allowing 14 in the 1st quarter, they allowed ZERO the rest of the game, and the offense crapped the bed simply by not making the plays.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gtcotcakya":vi44bvk2 said:
We dipped below critical mass yesterday and discovered that next man up only works to a point...

Honestly I thought most of the 2nd stringers played well, certainly well enough to win. It was our stars that stunk IMO...........Russell, Sherman, WR corp, most of O-line, etc, those guys can't have clunker games and expect us to overcome everything else.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The problem was execution in this game. The game was won by the Bucs in the trenches. The Bucs DL owned the Seahawk OL and the Seahawk DL didn't pressure Winston enough. When they did, JW found a way to escape it. Jeremy Lane was pitted against Mike Evans early in the game and couldn't stop him. Not sure why you'd have a "Kelly Jennings" type of CB on a big WR like Evans. Bad decision and it hurt them early. Lane has really regressed this year. He's a good cover guy but offers no physicality. That's what Shead gave. It was apparent that Mike Evans was going to have his way from the get go.

I'd figured at halftime they would have made some changes or adjustments, if they did it didn't work. If Britt was suited to play, he should have been inserted at halftime. Maybe they could have pulled it out at least give it a go. See if the OL worked better as an unit. I think the coaches felt they were never out of the game at 14-0 or 14-5 to change. If it were 21-0 or 21-5, maybe the changes happen. Who knows. It's all moot now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":y5ctwvxg said:
The five stages of Seahawks fans reacting to a loss:

1. Shout angrily at the TV / guy sat next to you

2. Log onto Seahawks.net and start a 'fire Bevell' thread

3. Maybe talk about Cable too

4. Start thinking ahead to the next game

5. Predict a Super Bowl win after next weeks victory
You nailed it right on the money.. :irishdrinkers:

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3054ni6e said:
andyh64000":3054ni6e said:
I guess I must be a a dumb football person because I though the o-corrdiator is supposed to gameplan with the tools he has and if that isn't working then adjust. It was the 24th ranked defense for gods sake and we scored 3 points. We had 1 yard passing in the 3rd quarter. I am not saying Bevell should be fired for this game but he is not blameless (apparently you think he is but I guess you are a smart football person) and should shoulder more blame than anyone else.

I'm not a smart football person, I just know how the playcalling works having listened to and watched an unhealthy amount of people who ARE "football smart" discuss it for the better part of 30 years.

During the week, Pete, Russell and Bevell get together and put in the schemes, gameplan and playcalling for the game. It's called "installing the gameplan." Like I said, a GROUP effort by all involved.

Then they practice said gameplan, plays, etc they think will work against the defense. That's the walkthrough.

Then on Sunday those very players that have been taking the reps all week march their little booties out onto the field and attempt to execute said gameplan against the other team.............and if those players and coaches execute that gameplan and plays more than the other team's defense executes their gameplan? We win.

If those players do what we did yesterday, crap the bed with terrible execution, mistakes and getting pushed around? You get what we saw, a beatdown.

You and others are blaming a very complicated failure with literally dozens of people involved on ONE person, and I'm blaming it on everyone involved, but especially the players..............as they are the ones playing the game, not Bevell.

Is he bullet proof? Hell no, he's as culpable as Pete and the players. But he sure as hell isn't THE reason like you and others keep beating the dead horse over.

Giphy

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3bsf73pz said:

Anyone see the trend?

I see a trend of Seahawks fans annually bashing Russ's O-line for 5 years and yet he's one of the winningest QBs in the league right now. He's won when the line is good and when the line is bad. Numerous other QBs do the same.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2eqazpz0 said:
I don't think it is fair to blame Bevell completely for the poor offensive performance today, though I do think he was a contributing factor. There were a few glaring instances of head scratching play-calls that made you wonder if Bevell's thanksgiving hangover extended into Sunday afternoon.

That being said I have seen worse games called by Bevell, though I cannot say in all honestly that I have ever seen a more grotesque, utterly horifying game from Russell Wilson or the O-Line.
Well the 1st half in last game against the Panthers comes to mind.I felt Russ just had a crappy game and it wasn't all the line.He knows he cannot hold that ball very long which led to some of the sacks.There were times he had time and his passes were off.I get it that he's human and it's a team game and we definately missed some of our starters that are hurt.We will come back from it and we will be fine.The D impressed me..I'll take 14 pts every game and I missed DB in all this.He didn't coach his best but PC has to ride him to fix it earlier in games like this.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Now people are defending Bevell saying it's a team game, like firing one guy wouldn't fix a score of problems.

Meanwhile, Buffalo sacked their OC and went on a 4-game win streak.

When you identify a tumor, or a swollen appendix making you sick, you don't say "well, the body is a complicated thing, it takes every part working together to blah blah blah." You just cut the damn thing out. Your body still won't be perfect, but it'll work a whole lot better. Just ask Buffalo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1i92rk6e said:
Meanwhile, Buffalo sacked their OC and went on a 4-game win streak..

Then lost 3 of 5.........with the two wins against the Jags and Bengals by less than a TD. What a genius move.