How is this game not on Bevell

ivotuk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2808coe3 said:
ivotuk":2808coe3 said:
I have to disagree on this one Roland. When you have the number one scoring defense 4 years running, those numbers are great.

Teams that score more than that do so usually because they have no defense, or no running game to speak of. And those teams don't win Championships. Remember that Denver team that set records scoring?
Except for the fact that an elite defense gives your offense MORE chances to score...

Not if your money is all invested in that defense and it's missing several of it's best players.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3dhyqwmr said:
I'll pose a situation to people at large: I propose we run an experiment. I'm going to setup a 50-foot-long beam that is three inches wide and raised 100 feet above the ground and clock how fast you walk across it while there's a safety net underneath you. Then, I'm going to remove the safety net and clock you again. Your second trip is obviously going to be much slower, and I doubt any of you would dispute that.

I'll dispute it. Although some would undoubtedly be hindered (if attempting to cross at all) without the net, others can be affected much differently, such as having the anxiety and nervousness over potentially falling 100 feet to the ground resulting in greater attention to the task, more adrenaline, and better performance. If it were a competition requiring all participants to fully cross to succeed (which it would need to be to be more comparable to football), those without a safety net may perform similarly or perhaps even better than those with a net (particularly if they're professional beam-crossers who may otherwise be more bored and under-stimulated by the netted beams they're accustomed to practicing on).

Nevertheless, I think you're missing the simplest explanation for why our defense doesn't automatically translate to greater offensive opportunities (although this certainly depends on the match-up). Even when healthy, we're still susceptible to dink and dunk passing offenses. These same offense can eat up an immense amount of time and limit our offensive opportunities. As a result, when teams successfully dink and dunk on some of their drives, our offense can be limited to a similar amount of time and scoring opportunities as more offensively built teams. When that happens, Bevell is actually working with less than some other OCs given our greater commitment in salary and draft picks to the defense rather than offense. In other words, if teams can tend to move the ball slowly against us, Bevell is working with less than some other OCs. When teams can't move the ball slowly or at all, Bevell is working with more than some other OCs.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oh, give me a break. BirdsCommaMcBadass up in here thinks he'd knock it out of the park without the safety net, lol.

I've got nothing more to add to this thread; there's no arguing with dogmatic belief. :)

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7p4i4e2y said:
Oh, give me a break. BirdsCommaMcBadass up in here thinks he'd knock it out of the park without the safety net, lol.

I've got nothing more to add to this thread; there's no arguing with dogmatic belief. :)

I wouldn't even try to cross without a net. If your experiment is going to translate at all to NFL players, those crossing need to be professional, trained competitors. They're the ones who may perform similarly or better with the presence of greater risk.

You're forfeiting the argument, then? I didn't think it would be this easy!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We have a winning formula in place. Today was just one of those days where we were the bug and the Bucs were the windshield. We've won 68 percent of our games this year, which is about on par for what we've been doing the past 5 years. We get old nemesis Carolina at home and in prime time next week. I fully expect us to be going full throttle.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I have not read any of the above comments and I understand that that disqualifies me from having a valid opinion.

We started the most inexperienced offensive line in our team's recent history but we still blocked our butts off for Rawls when he was in there and tried to give Russ a chance to throw it every now and again. That was all that was asked. We're an injured team. With all 3 other NFC West teams losing, we didn't lose much ground, and to think that the Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFC makes me giggle. We own them. The season is young yet. We all we got; we all we need.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Omahawk":374clpom said:
I have not read any of the above comments and I understand that that disqualifies me from having a valid opinion.

We started the most inexperienced offensive line in our team's recent history but we still blocked our butts off for Rawls when he was in there and tried to give Russ a chance to throw it every now and again. That was all that was asked. We're an injured team. With all 3 other NFC West teams losing, we didn't lose much ground, and to think that the Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFC makes me giggle. We own them. The season is young yet. We all we got; we all we need.

It doesn't invalidate your opinion at all, everyone's opinion is valued.

I agree with you, it would be hard to expect a ton given the starting line for yesterday's game.

onepicknick

Reaction score
LOL that is just what I was thinking, man do I really want to go on to seahawks.net and say anything but here I am.
I just watched the game slow moed a lot of it when we had the Ball, This was on Wilson this has to be one of his worst games ever it looked more like he was scared to throw the ball so he decided to run.

I will say this it seems we take for granted weak teams, as in any high level sports if you don't give 100% at practice there are other people who will and they will prevail. I think offense was sitting at the Turkey Table and probably still thinking of left overs today Wilson looked like he gained 50 lbs.

They should show the Bucs D tapes to our D they were all over the short passes and if someone broke out of the backfield they were on it immediately, their Offense had all the short passes open on our D, Sherman sure is getting burned a lot this year.

This will be a first for me I don't think it's Bevell's fault I don't think this offense is putting a 100% in practice I think their watching to much TV thinking all they have to do is show up and they win sadly this is not the case.

Omahawk

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2d54e493 said:
The tree-hugging, social justice warriors on our forum got this odd idea that football is a team game where players, coaches, and front-office personnel need to work together to achieve consistent successes. Thus, they feel wins and losses are both the product of a team effort (or lack thereof). They're correct, of course, but that doesn't mean they're right.

This seems political in nature. I don't think l like it. You need a hug from someone who feels your same pain. Don't hold that inside.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Omahawk":lxiamazu said:
BirdsCommaAngry":lxiamazu said:
The tree-hugging, social justice warriors on our forum got this odd idea that football is a team game where players, coaches, and front-office personnel need to work together to achieve consistent successes. Thus, they feel wins and losses are both the product of a team effort (or lack thereof). They're correct, of course, but that doesn't mean they're right.

This seems political in nature. I don't think l like it. You need a hug from someone who feels your same pain. Don't hold that inside.

I just gots so many feels held up in here. Will you hug me in a slightly intolerant way?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I don't think it is fair to blame Bevell completely for the poor offensive performance today, though I do think he was a contributing factor. There were a few glaring instances of head scratching play-calls that made you wonder if Bevell's thanksgiving hangover extended into Sunday afternoon.

That being said I have seen worse games called by Bevell, though I cannot say in all honestly that I have ever seen a more grotesque, utterly horifying game from Russell Wilson or the O-Line.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1qptiglj said:
And when the Panthers D line wrecks us, you will say "bring on the Packers".

:2thumbs:

What's your Xs and Os perspective on our O line against good pressuring defenses?

My perspective is the O-line handled the Eagles and they have one of the best pressuring defenses in the NFL.

Largent80

Reaction score
andyh64000":3pnh8sfx said:
We scored 3 points. Yes Hunt is probably the worst center in the NFL (by a mile) but. 3 points?

Explain how it IS on Bevell. Because it isn't.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Largent80":q4mkpyri said:
andyh64000":q4mkpyri said:
We scored 3 points. Yes Hunt is probably the worst center in the NFL (by a mile) but. 3 points?

Explain how it IS on Bevell. Because it isn't.

I'll help out a little with this one. I'm not a frequent contributor BUT Bevell is a good offensive coordinator, not a great offensive coordinator. A great OC would be able to find a way to work through these shortcomings. A great OC would have his playmakers on the field on 3rd down situations. Can anyone tell me how often Baldwin, Rawls and Graham were all on the field during 3rd down?

No I don't blame him for Russ following his progressions and dumping it to Kearse, heck Kearse was TBs MVP. I DO blame him for not benching Kearse after the first few drops. I blame him for not finding the next man up and sending Kearse out to pasture. I do blame him for

Designed bootlegs to get Russ away from that pass rush? None. Draw plays? None.

It may not be the end of the season, but not being able to score in the 4Q does make me a bit nervous.

How about we look at his OC film with Brett Favre

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... after-pick

Or we could look at the fact that he coached one of the best QBs of his era (Favre) to only 1 NFC championship game (and lost) during 6yrs on two different teams.

This offense looks eerily like the offenses of Green Bay and Minnesota that he coached. If anyone on the team is mediocre, it's Bevell.

Largent80

Reaction score
How about the effort or lack of Richardson, pulling up on his route causing the first INT. That's on Bevell too right?

nash72

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yo8b5652 said:
Except for the fact that an elite defense gives your offense MORE chances to score...

An elite defense might give you more chances to score, but when the offense goes 3 and out all game, whats the point.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Largent80":2dy389x0 said:
How about the effort or lack of Richardson, pulling up on his route causing the first INT. That's on Bevell too right?

You may want to re-watch that. Skip to 2:40 on the film. It looks to me like russ was getting rushed hard AGAIN and had to get rid of the ball too quickly, underthrowing the ball into tight coverage. If he throws to Rich's outside shoulder, it's a completion, with only a safety to beat. Yup, a bootleg away from the pressure would have given him a bit more time to think. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The team had a Thanksgiving hangover. They lost the game in the first quarter. Can you win a game in the first quarter? Well the Bucs just did. Bucs tried to give the Seahawks the game but the Seahawks didn't capitalize on the gifts. It was a lousy effort from everyone. My issue with Bevell has to do with the redzone. Well the Seahawks were never in the redzone this entire game. Not once. The Seahawks never crossed the TB 25 yard line in the game. So no redzone attempts yesterday for the Seahawks. The OL was dismal yesterday, too many turkeys on Thanksgiving.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Oline sucked, that is why we sucked.

Do people not see the trend? Here i'll try to outline it.

When the Oline is good, Bevell is one of the best OC's.

When the OLine sucks, Bevell is one of the worst OC's.

Anyone see the trend?