How in the hell do you record games in this decade ???

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":34r75ucv said:
dunceface":34r75ucv said:
Actually what he's talking about are composite cables, component cables are the 5 color cables and they do support 1080p...jeez niner fans sometimes

technically I would say the component cables are 3 color cables and the other two colors are your audio cables.......... just saying :D
And component is 1080i, not 1080p. HDMI is the only true 1080p cable.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3cl5suvl said:
mikeak":3cl5suvl said:
dunceface":3cl5suvl said:
Actually what he's talking about are composite cables, component cables are the 5 color cables and they do support 1080p...jeez niner fans sometimes

technically I would say the component cables are 3 color cables and the other two colors are your audio cables.......... just saying :D

I actually didn't know that about the cables. :D

I did notice tho that Neither Comcast nor DirecTV actually do 1080p...just 1080i. Assumed that was the signal. Is it the cables?

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2biq3sz7 said:
The Hauppauge devices, I also ran into audio and/or video interference issues due to the cabling being analog and not digital, too. It's the reason I bought an InfiniTV.

Hrmm. Never had a problem. I love the thing.

Its pretty damn cool to just be able to plug my USB drive into my TV and decide which game from the last three seasons I want to watch. :D

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mbpcy2p said:
mikeak":1mbpcy2p said:
dunceface":1mbpcy2p said:

Not correct. Most TV's can't display 1080p over component but that doesn't mean the cables aren't capable of it. They are and you can do it with VGA cables, Cat5 cables etc

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":36orbwv1 said:
SharkHawk":36orbwv1 said:
I have a DVR and then dump things to a DVD recorder I got at Walmart. I just got a new one last week for $75. It works great! I dump shows I want to rewatch onto DVD all the time (or movies I've watched that I don't want to buy, but don't mind having a lower quality copy of). It only lets me dump it with the old yellow, red, white cables, but everything looks good enough to me. I don't see any degradation over what my DVR is putting out.

Only prob with that is that those cables you are talking about are component cables. Those will only do 480p (IE, no HD) DVD won't record in HD either. Its a good solution, but I was looking to keep the games in full 1080p. A bit more challenging. :)

Marvin, just a heads up. Composite cables are the red, white, and yellow cables. Component cables are green, blue, and red.

Edit: Nevermind I see that someone corrected that. Carry on. Ha ha

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":21tktuc0 said:
Marvin49":21tktuc0 said:
SharkHawk":21tktuc0 said:
I have a DVR and then dump things to a DVD recorder I got at Walmart. I just got a new one last week for $75. It works great! I dump shows I want to rewatch onto DVD all the time (or movies I've watched that I don't want to buy, but don't mind having a lower quality copy of). It only lets me dump it with the old yellow, red, white cables, but everything looks good enough to me. I don't see any degradation over what my DVR is putting out.

Only prob with that is that those cables you are talking about are component cables. Those will only do 480p (IE, no HD) DVD won't record in HD either. Its a good solution, but I was looking to keep the games in full 1080p. A bit more challenging. :)

Marvin, just a heads up. Composite cables are the red, white, and yellow cables. Component cables are green, blue, and red.

Edit: Nevermind I see that someone corrected that. Carry on. Ha ha

hehe.

Yeah...no worries. I always mix them up. :)

mikeak

Reaction score
Marvin49":1rrdvkig said:
I did notice tho that Neither Comcast nor DirecTV actually do 1080p...just 1080i. Assumed that was the signal. Is it the cables?

Nope not the cables. Result of two things - 1) no broadcast I know of that does 1080p. Fox, ESPN and ABC does 720p and CBS & NBC 1080i. Used to be a big debate about what was best and lots of people didnt like the fox solution but in the end I think most everyone is real happy.

2) bandwidth. 1080p requires more and everyone already compresses to get more HD out. Directv does have 1080p pay-per-view movies. Not sure if anyone else does