How do we slow down Drew Brees?

OrFan

Reaction score
All we have to do is put Sweezy on defense, he is great at getting the qb killed.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Force him to move off his spot in the pocket with good pressure, cover Jimmy Graham and on offense......run the ball effectively!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Aros":31kqnqbf said:
DavidSeven":31kqnqbf said:
Note: Russell Wilson has a passer rating of 107.4 at home and 103.5 on the road. Consistency.

That is sick.
You know what he said on Fox1 when they asked that quickfire question to describe himself? Consistent.

As to stopping Brees Middle pressure just like Wilson really. And play him outside the Dome.:)

monkey

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3bupd6wj said:
Would it be feasible to have Sherman shadow Jimmy Graham all game?
Nah, if we were going to go away from our scheme just to stop one guy, I'd let Chancellor do it, he's fast, good in coverage, and tougher than any other safety, (tougher than most linebackers). Kam would get the job done.

I don't think we need to alter what we do to beat them though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IMO, there will be nothing more critical than defensing Graham and Sproles. We don't need to stop them, but if we limit them, we win.

We need to come hard on Brees. Knock him to the turf every time we have the opportunity. The Saints know this. They love their quick slants and RB passes in the flats. They will depend on these plays knowing passing deep, against this LOB, is (more times than not) going to result in a loss of down.. or worse.

Sproles is sorta the Harvin of the Saints, but I am incredibly confident that Pete and Quinn will take Sproles out of the passing game and our run D will have to do the same. Haushka needs to kick the ball deep and Ryan doesn't get punts returned. I don't expect much from Sproles with these factors in mind. Both Ryan and Haushka are headed to Honolulu, IMO.

Brees and the Saints don't scare me out of N.O. They are the Hawks of yesteryear. Unbeatable at home, average on the road. 31- 20 Hawks

i5roadrunner

Reaction score
Flat as a pancake...BOOM!!! I want to see him on his a$$, all night long. After 4qt's of 12th Man pain and the Legion of Boom. He is going to say, all I remember seeing is blue.

SirSaint_1963

Reaction score
Wassup people Saints fan here. Not here to troll. I actually agree with some of you. When our line is pushed up the middle its bad business for us because Brees isn't the tallest and it throws him off his mark and he is forced to reset. Edge rushes are useless because his footwork is flawless and he will just step up in the pocket and let it fly. But if you guys pressure up the middle it will be a long day. Im excited about this game but we have some failcons to attend to tonight. Im sure you all will have your falcons jerseys on deck lol.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SirSaint_1963":3paa7v63 said:
Wassup people Saints fan here. Not here to troll. I actually agree with some of you. When our line is pushed up the middle its bad business for us because Brees isn't the tallest and it throws him off his mark and he is forced to reset. Edge rushes are useless because his footwork is flawless and he will just step up in the pocket and let it fly. But if you guys pressure up the middle it will be a long day. Im excited about this game but we have some failcons to attend to tonight. Im sure you all will have your falcons jerseys on deck lol.

Thanks for the thoughts/input there. You know, if you really break it down and take a look at Brees's and Wilson's numbers ... they are scary similar. Both are really fantastic QB's. These stats are all courtesy of ProFootballFocus ...

QB Accuracy% ...
Wilson ... 77.1 (4th Best)
Brees ... 76.2 (5th Best)

Deep Passing ...
Brees ... 48.8 (6th Best)
Wilson ... 48.4 (7th Best)

Passing Under Pressure ...
Wilson ... 66.0 (10th Best)

And to back up what he's saying here, Pro FootballFocus noted the following ...
Pressured on 25.1% of his 694 drop-backs, the 2011 version of Drew Brees took a sack on only 13.8% of the snaps where he faced pressure (fourth-best). He also posted a 90.9 QB Rating and his Accuracy Percentage on pressured passes of 69.2 led the league.
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/pff-signature-stats/

I've tried researching this, but have come up blank so far. My question to you as a Saints fan is this -- what is Brees's accuracy been like this year when he's outside the pocket and has had to scramble?

I'm curious about that because to me, a contained blitz with the DE's forcing him towards the middle and from getting outside (similar to the approach other teams have tried against Wilson) would be the approach I would use.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
One of the biggest pieces, IMO, is closing up the passing lanes the Saints O-line will try to create for the short passing game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SirSaint_1963":u365luch said:

We wouldn't mind a Falcons win, but no one is expecting it. They may be the worst team in the league right now as the Jags and Bucs have shown marked improvement the last 3 weeks.

JonRud

Reaction score
Also what would help are steady downpours, chilly temps and strong winds during the game. That would certainly slow down Brees & Co.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
hawker84":1xxvank9 said:
Keep him on the sidelines and chew the clock with Lynch. you're not going to stop Bree's, just try to limit the damage and hold them to fieldgoals?

Exactly.. Lynch and the o-line need to bring it that game.. They need to chew up the clock, tire out their defense and let our defense be fresh for the 4th quarter where Breese will be firing it everywhere.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Sucks that BB won't be there for this game.. The only game we probably needed him this year.

The Radish

Reaction score
Let me remind everyone, and especially you new people.

Any suggestions of physically hurting another player is a banning offense here!

Radish

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Run the crap out of the ball, and keep him off the field. Keeping our D nice and rested and ready to tear him a new one when he's out there. It's all about time of possession against a team with an offense at their level imo. By the time the 4th quarter, their D will be so tired, they won't be able to do crap.

BAJAHAWK

Reaction score
To quote Chuck D ~ " BRING THE NOISE!" Bring them 12's!!! Break the Guinness World Record and go BEAST QUAKE 2 on them! BEAST QUAKE 2 coming to a cinema near you

Wartooth

Reaction score
After watching the Saints struggle AGAIN to win a game against a team the Hawks dismantled.
I'm thinking it is the Saints that need to figure out a way to try and stop Russell!
The EXPERTS keep going on about this amazing Saints defense, but I don't see it.
I've watched their last two games, and came away unimpressed.
If the Saints and Brees come into the Clink, and play the way they have the last 2 weeks...
I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks hang 40 plus on them!