Hawks fans never learn

gowazzu02

Reaction score
My favorite part is the annual upheaval from hawks fans thinking they're smarter than js and PC. Lol "but some talking heads mock draft said this guy would go later"

Face it js and pc know more football in their little pinkies than we all do combined.

Brooke's looks like a stud. And a replacement for our getting older kj and eventually Bobby.

I read he was the top guy on their board. They wanted to trade down but the deal fell through so they took the top guy.

I'm glad they didnt reach for a de that 26 other teams passed on just cause they need edge defenders

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It’s always entertaining when fans say things like “he was the 110th rated player, we could have gotten him two rounds later”. Player rankings are mostly done by people NOT EMPLOYED BY THE NFL. If they were so good at ranking players, wouldn’t they be actually working in the league?!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
They may know more about football but I'd about guarentee if they pick .Nets favorite player every year they would have had more success than than they have had trying to be all above board

I have to say we have an atrocious record with our first round picks over the last 10 season. Not a single on of these players was All-Pro, Pro-Bowl, or even considered a top tier starter except maybe Bruce Irvin who was the highest pick they made.

2011 - #25 OT James Carpenter
2012 - #15 DE/LB Bruce Irvin
2013 - No Pick (Traded for Harvin)
2014 - Trade Back to #45 Paul Richardson
2015 - No Pick (Traded For Jimmy Graham)
2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2017 - Trade back #35 Malik McDowell
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Having a good healthy debate is a great thing and given the lack of sports right now, I will take what I can get. But just putting fans down because they aren't John or Pete doesn't further understanding of the pick or even promote valuable dialogue and entertainment.

I value all those that have blasted the pick. I value all those that share videos why they think the pick is great. I'm just really happy to be having anything to talk about right now because the closest we have to sports is watching competitive marble races.

Reaction score
To be fair, the last 4 drafts would have had a much better result on the top end if they just used one of the consensus big boards rather than taking a huge reach in the 1st/2nd round.

LJ Collier
Rashaad Penny
Malik McDowell
Germain Ifedi

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3d3uv5nb said:
It’s always entertaining when fans say things like “he was the 110th rated player, we could have gotten him two rounds later”. Player rankings are mostly done by people NOT EMPLOYED BY THE NFL. If they were so good at ranking players, wouldn’t they be actually working in the league?!

On the other hand, those same players seem to be correctly rated if you look back at how they ended up performing.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3h2p5bp3 said:
They may know more about football but I'd about guarentee if they pick .Nets favorite player every year they would have had more success than than they have had trying to be all above board

I have to say we have an atrocious record with our first round picks over the last 10 season. Not a single on of these players was All-Pro, Pro-Bowl, or even considered a top tier starter except maybe Bruce Irvin who was the highest pick they made.

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

Well, yeah; throwing darts or letting a three year old pick names on Legos would have likely produced better results too.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2btfq6lp said:

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

Well this time next year you can put Brooks up against Queen and the two DE's (who btw all 32 teams passed on despite them playing the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's the same thing every year on here. A bunch of couch GM's whining and moaning after every pick. I learned that long ago.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3g7ro2lx said:

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

Valid point Wenhawk, but it won't work on your board. You know that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think it's the nature of the draft, especially round 1. Every team has got some right,some wrong. No one deserves more than the benefit of the doubt or is immune from some criticism.. atleast until the players take the field.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":wu8mt8ir said:

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

I have bolded the problem. It is more a problem of individual expectations than what the data says hit rates should be in the first round. Some samplings I found had around 54% of 1st rounders not even becoming starters, let alone all-pros, with ~49% becoming consistent starters at any point in their career and somewhere around 30-35% making pro-bowls. Looking at the above list, it seems the Seahawks are right in line or even slightly above average on their hit rate depending on how you view Penny (collier can't be evaluated yet).

Seems to me people just need to dial back their expectations to something more realistic to get a more objective view.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Depends on the year, but its usually 10-20 guys who are legit rated 1st round talent..... then you have a plateau of talent.

And the Hawks are always picking in the end of the 1st round, out of reach of the top talent, why they're always trying to trade back. Right? #26 is the same talent level as #42 or whatever.

So saying they reached at #26...... who knows? We'll never know unless we could see 31 other draft boards. "We could have had him with our second round!!!" Well all it takes is one other team that likes that player, and its not true.

I would think the Seahawk fans would know by now, their draft board is always going to be different than Mel's Big Board, they rank, and judge players differently than the ESPN draft experts.

Tmagopis

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":i0sxti3z said:
Wenhawk":i0sxti3z said:

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

I have bolded the problem. It is more a problem of individual expectations than what the data says hit rates should be in the first round. Some samplings I found had around 54% of 1st rounders not even becoming starters, let alone all-pros, with ~49% becoming consistent starters at any point in their career and somewhere around 30-35% making pro-bowls. Looking at the above list, it seems the Seahawks are right in line or even slightly above average on their hit rate depending on how you view Penny (collier can't be evaluated yet).

Seems to me people just need to dial back their expectations to something more realistic to get a more objective view.

Exactly, expectations seem to be unrealistically high. Look you can’t hit a pro bowler automatically just because they are a first round pick. Look at what you got, carpenter may not be a pro bowler, but he started for you for a number of years and was a starter in the super bowl years. Bruce - starter. Paul Richardson was a starter (when he wasn’t hurt). Jimmy was a starter. Ifedi was a starter. Mcdowell shouldn’t count against talent evaluation. Penny and collier jury is still out. They are getting production, getting a starter with your first pick isn’t a guarantee as the op stated.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2b0u3puo said:
oldhawkfan":2b0u3puo said:

On the other hand, those same players seem to be correctly rated if you look back at how they ended up performing.

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Approximately 53% of all first round picks flame out of the league. If, as you say, that looking back on them being correctly rated, then how is it that about half of them end up being less than their rankings dictated? The college game does not translate directly to the pro game. Scheme and coaching also plays a big role in a players success. Rankings are nothing more than how some random people think players stack up in relation to others. A teams need often causes rankings to be null and void.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2lcjjnzw said:
It's the same thing every year on here. A bunch of couch GM's whining and moaning after every pick. I learned that long ago.
Yea, but you gotta admit that some of us are better at sniveling than some of y'all others....I hate to brag, but I use to work for the Snivel Service, so I kinda have a leg up on most in here :D 8) .

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1rst16ur said:

2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

Yeah, let the fans pick the players. Good grief. Then there would be those that would be pissed off because the herd didn`t pick their favorite player.

Rat

Reaction score
I don’t understand why we’re not allowed to question a pick the front office makes while also acknowledging that they know more than us. They’re not infallible. Did they not know more than us when they took Ifedi? Would someone have been wrong for questioning that pick?

Threads like this feel like a desperate attempt to appear to be the biggest fan. Congrats on not being critical.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya Skutter :irishdrinkers:
We were watching it (4 of us virtual) and I said before the pick: Here comes some player that nobody was talking about and we get to listen to how crappy the pick was.

Pretty easy prediction. I was hoping for Gross-Matos, A.J. Esp. or an O lineman but oh well. Quite a few very good players still on the board.
Would I have preferred a different pick? Sure. But I'm long since over thinking that's gonna' happen. Pete and John do things their way. Let's hope he pans out. Remember how much people hated the Clark and Irvin picks, they turned out pretty solid.

LB is a need on this team, even if many don't think so. This D is in desperate need of some playmakers, this kid looks like one. Give him a chance.

Latest posts