Hawks fans never learn

justafan

Reaction score
Carp started over 100 games so far. He beat the odds. Irvin almost 100 he beat the odds. Mcowell situation sucks but it was still better than the niners picking Solomon Thomas at 3 or the Bears spending all that draft capitol and money drafting Trubiskey and passing up Mahomes. Ifedi struggles but he started almost 4 years and got a 2nd contract. He beat the odds.

I want HOFers every pick too but life doesnt work that way.

John63

Reaction score
gowazzu02":33dmy2lc said:
My favorite part is the annual upheaval from hawks fans thinking they're smarter than js and PC. Lol "but some talking heads mock draft said this guy would go later"

Face it js and pc know more football in their little pinkies than we all do combined.

Brooke's looks like a stud. And a replacement for our getting older kj and eventually Bobby.

I read he was the top guy on their board. They wanted to trade down but the deal fell through so they took the top guy.

I'm glad they didnt reach for a de that 26 other teams passed on just cause they need edge defenders

As as been shown factually since 2015 they have been bad at drafting and FA. SO far this yeare not looking any better. Outside of one DB they have done little to get better.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So here's the ESPN depth chart: https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/n ... e-seahawks

I checked the ourlads one too. Note no Kendricks on it. It's Jordyn as the starter followed by Barton and then Shaquem, who's supposed to be a special teams ace.

KJ is backed by Burr-Kiven. Another special teams ace.

I don't see Collier on this list at all. Not to mention Clowney. But Collier/Kendricks were supposed to be under contract right?

All I see on defense are retreads (often very good) at the linebacker position. a bunch more developmentals. Special teams aces.

Look I appreciate special teams and developmentals. And I appreciate Bruce Irvin. But we actually need starters out of the box right now and Jordyn's gotten the kind of reception that Collier got. He's nowhere near ready for it.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Based on the Collier pick alone, you are correct OP. No one should have any input, opinion, or perspective outside of the mighty JS.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
In the Pete Carroll era they’ve only drafted 2 players I wanted pre-draft.
Earl Thomas and DK Metcalf.

I always figure they are not going to draft the players I want.

sdog1981

Reaction score
People are freaking out for all sorts of reasons.

I think the number one thing people think this due is Aaron Curry 2.0

Listen, I was one of the few that hated Aaron Curry pick from day one. I have called the pick an "auto bust", in a sense you can only draft a 4-3 outside linebacker in the top if they are Derrick Brooks.

This is not that pick. 27th is the perfect spot to draft a 4-3 outside linebacker who has speed.

The Seahawks defense has been bad that could step and play average for big games for two years. Part of the problem was slow linebackers who had problems playing in space.

Go look at how they got boat raced by the Rams and Packers last season. It was bad tackling and open players in the middle of the field.

It was the ghost of KJ Wright last season playing next to a permanently distracted and hurt Kendricks.

Deonn Bucannon was drafted at 27th and if Brooks can play at half that level then it was a good pick.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sdog1981":15o89ohr said:
People are freaking out for all sorts of reasons.

I think the number one thing people think this due is Aaron Curry 2.0

Listen, I was one of the few that hated Aaron Curry pick from day one. I have called the pick an "auto bust", in a sense you can only draft a 4-3 outside linebacker in the top if they are Derrick Brooks.

This is not that pick. 27th is the perfect spot to draft a 4-3 outside linebacker who has speed.

The Seahawks defense has been bad that could step and play average for big games for two years. Part of the problem was slow linebackers who had problems playing in space.

Go look at how they got boat raced by the Rams and Packers last season. It was bad tackling and open players in the middle of the field.

It was the ghost of KJ Wright last season playing next to a permanently distracted and hurt Kendricks.

Deonn Bucannon was drafted at 27th and if Brooks can play at half that level then it was a good pick.

That was probably the worst draft ever for the entire league. Just about every player taken was a bust, if it wasn't Curry, the bust would have been someone else. Also, no one we drafted these past few days were as hyped as was Aaron Curry.

reddmmann

Reaction score
gowazzu02":6vf9nhe4 said:
My favorite part is the annual upheaval from hawks fans thinking they're smarter than js and PC. Lol "but some talking heads mock draft said this guy would go later"

Face it js and pc know more football in their little pinkies than we all do combined.

Brooke's looks like a stud. And a replacement for our getting older kj and eventually Bobby.

I read he was the top guy on their board. They wanted to trade down but the deal fell through so they took the top guy.

I'm glad they didnt reach for a de that 26 other teams passed on just cause they need edge defenders

yeah....and Penny and Collier were also top guys on their board (neither had 1st round projections). After 2018 and 2019, you must understand why this pick might be met with some skepticism.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1uwtc5lr said:
Aaron Curry "Safest pick in the draft"

Russell Wilson "Worst pick in the draft"

This is super funny. Because virtually all of the local draftniks I interacted with here saw it as completely the opposite. They absolutely got these ones right.

I definitely was pissed about the Curry pick. Even despite being a generally poor draft to be picking high. Wilson was a player I hoped we'd get with the Wagner pick. Was a very LONG wait to #75. Was kind of pissed we took Wagner thinking we would lose out on Wilson. Until we picked him. Then he cool.

nrayorr

Reaction score
There is one thing that I’ve learned long ago when it comes to the draft with Pete and John and that is to trust the process. I’m done trying to guess what they’re going to do because I’ve been wrong practically every year that they’ve been the general manager and head coach. I do agree however that their picks in the first round has not really been all that great For the most part but in the later rounds they’ve been on target much of the time.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2o7zl8ww said:
They may know more about football but I'd about guarentee if they pick .Nets favorite player every year they would have had more success than than they have had trying to be all above board

I have to say we have an atrocious record with our first round picks over the last 10 season. Not a single on of these players was All-Pro, Pro-Bowl, or even considered a top tier starter except maybe Bruce Irvin who was the highest pick they made.

2011 - #25 OT James Carpenter
2012 - #15 DE/LB Bruce Irvin
2013 - No Pick (Traded for Harvin)
2014 - Trade Back to #45 Paul Richardson
2015 - No Pick (Traded For Jimmy Graham)
2016 - #31 Germain Ifedi
2017 - Trade back #35 Malik McDowell
2018 - #27 Rashaad Penny
2019 - #29 L.J. collier
2020 - #27 Jordyn Brooks

So 10 seasons. First let's start off the process and leave out the previous year with Earl Thomas so we can cherry pick your argument.

So if you actually look at when we did pick in the actual first round (ONLY 6 times) only one time did we pick above 25 and that was Bruce Irvin at 15 (our highest pick in these 10 seasons). BTW the sixth time is our current pick so it is good to see you have declared him a washout when he doesn’t even have the playbook yet.

So realistically in these 10 season we have had 6 first round picks. All but one have been pick 25 or lower.

Also for several seasons we were drafting into a stacked roster.

You are correct that they suck at first round picks. Why could they not ever get top 10 talent at the bottom of the round. Pete and John suck. :sarcasm_off: