Hawkscanner's Post-Game Thoughts-Hawks-Chiefs Wk3 (OFFENSE)

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ub8oa4c8 said:
The D still swarms to meet the ball. Once they figure out the opposing attack they limit the yardage given up. We have seen our 2nd string clearly outplay every other team's 2's. The 1's have been playing very vanilla, and when it's real expect to see the real D, the one we have come to expect.

Have been pleasantly surprised with the play of Bass & Griffin, and Hill is beginning to show why the team liked him. It's hard to crack this roster on D and the team will cut lots of good players. Doubt there will be many surprise changes in personnel. In another thread I thought the team is not yet happy with the talent at 3tech and we may see some others cycled through before that's set. The injury to McDowell screwed up their plans.

Still curious as to which reserve CBs will be kept after the top 3 of Sherm, Lane, and Griffin competition is still on. I believe Nieko Thorape is one though. Do know that the top 4 DBs are Earl, Kam, McDougald, and Hill, usually there is one more but none is special yet. With luck Shead may be back for the playoff run stretch and the team's depth marketedly improved as a result.

The linebacker depth looks solid and there will be a loss of talent when the cuts happen.

I am really liking the results on the field so far.

Yeah Jammer, let's flip over to the other side of the field and talk about the defense. I would have written up a full post on observations surrounding the defense, but I kind of ran out of steam.

I've been pleasantly surprised (that's how I would have put it as well) by David Bass, Shaq Griffin, and Delano Hill in particular as well.

David Bass -- I honestly hadn't really known anything about him before Preseason began. Against San Diego, it was like all of a sudden #47 comes FLYING out of nowhere to make a play on Kellen Clemens and I was like, "Who the heck is that?!" Friday night, he ends up sacking Pat Mahomes. This guy is interesting. I went back and checked out his draft profile from 2013, and he ended up running a 4.33 in the 20 yard shuttle (which was #1 at the combine for DE). So he is QUICK. He's got all the measureables you like in a DE and reminds me in some ways a bit of young Michael Sinclair.

Shaq Griffin -- I cannot say enough of how impressed I've been by this young guy. Of all our draft choices this year, he might just turn out to be the most important (the most key) to the team this year. It's early, but he has the look of a guy whom I believe could morph into a shut down corner in his own right. He's got the best mentor in the world he could ever have starting across from him. He's got better overall speed than Sherman, so I'm thinking give him a couple of years and he could be lights out good.

Delano Hill-- Very pleasantly surprised by this young guy, but I guess I honestly shouldn't be. After all, guys like Frank Clark were saying how very good of a player Hill was ... that he just has a nose for the football and is a very sure tackler. You can do those things and do them consistently, you're going to go a long ways on this team.

Regarding the reserve CB battle, I would have to agree in giving the nod to Thorpe at this point.

Hey -- one thing that I've heard basically nobody talking about from Friday night -- how about K.J. WRIGHT?!? Man, there was one play that KJ came in like a missile to make the stop and I immediately sat up and was like, "THAT's the Old K.J. that we've grown to know and love!" Guess the "process" has done wonders for him, eh?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great write up Hawkscanner. If Prosise stays, McKissic is cut. The only way McKissic makes the team is if Prosise doesn't or is PUP/IR to start the season. That's why I don't believe that McKissic will be on the team come Sept 10. Davis and Collins are gone. So are Darboh and Moore from the WRs. Collins, Darboh, and Moore have a chance to land on the PS.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Who is returning kicks of McKissic isn't on the team? Kinda doubt they want Lockett doing it right off the bat.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mojambo":3hujth59 said:
Who is returning kicks of McKissic isn't on the team? Kinda doubt they want Lockett doing it right off the bat.

I'm sure they can find somebody....McKissic hasn't been all that impressive with returns. He only averaged 19 yds return on kickoffs and 7.2 avg punt returns so far in the preseason. Even Brian Walters was better than that.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/player-stats/sp-vw-returns

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Josea16":2hl2sipf said:
Correct until I see him do this when it counts I am not sold regardless of your feelings. To be very clear I mean the entire team averaging 125-150 yards per game rushing. Not one single player, nobody can do that obviously.
Only 4 teams averaged over 125 per game last year, and only one was above 150. Still, why would Lacy having a good game or Wilson running for his life mean Carson was more qualified?

I don't get why the bar has to be unreasonably high to give the kid a shot, and I don't understand why others need to rush well to prove anything about Carson.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1xbqt0zu said:
I was also curious to get your guys' impressions regarding what I wrote about Trevone Boykin. To me, he came in there with a real chance Friday night to erase existing doubts about him being this team's backup QB. He ended up doing the exact opposite -- he dumped industrial fertilizer all over those seeds of doubt.

Now more than ever, I just foresee Schneider really beginning to amp things up, starting to scan other teams roster and look for who might possibly get cut (or is on the bubble) and might fit in here. I anticipate a possible trade for a veteran QB coming in the very near future.

My question though ... is WHO? Honestly if you think about it, one of most valuable commodities out there ... is a competent veteran back-up QB. There aren't a whole ton around. For that reason alone, a trade may not happen, but you know darned well that if the Hawks find what they perceive is a better option, they will jump on it.

Thoughts?

Boykin has the most upside. He's a dynamic player that seems to have a lot of poise for a young QB. He never really seems to get rattled much. That said, with his off field stuff and his inconsistency issues, I wonder what his work ethic is like ?

I honestly don't have a problem going with Austin Davis. He's started quite a few games in the league and is probably around league average. Which is about what I'd hope for in a backup QB. Didn't he beat us one year playing for the Rams ? The game our fill in safety for Chancellor's hold out slipped and fell and allowed the TE to score a TD ?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawks46":2h14os2h said:
Hawkscanner":2h14os2h said:
I was also curious to get your guys' impressions regarding what I wrote about Trevone Boykin. To me, he came in there with a real chance Friday night to erase existing doubts about him being this team's backup QB. He ended up doing the exact opposite -- he dumped industrial fertilizer all over those seeds of doubt.

Now more than ever, I just foresee Schneider really beginning to amp things up, starting to scan other teams roster and look for who might possibly get cut (or is on the bubble) and might fit in here. I anticipate a possible trade for a veteran QB coming in the very near future.

My question though ... is WHO? Honestly if you think about it, one of most valuable commodities out there ... is a competent veteran back-up QB. There aren't a whole ton around. For that reason alone, a trade may not happen, but you know darned well that if the Hawks find what they perceive is a better option, they will jump on it.

Thoughts?

Boykin has the most upside. He's a dynamic player that seems to have a lot of poise for a young QB. He never really seems to get rattled much. That said, with his off field stuff and his inconsistency issues, I wonder what his work ethic is like ?

I honestly don't have a problem going with Austin Davis. He's started quite a few games in the league and is probably around league average. Which is about what I'd hope for in a backup QB. Didn't he beat us one year playing for the Rams ? The game our fill in safety for Chancellor's hold out slipped and fell and allowed the TE to score a TD ?

The game you are referring to was when Nick Folk was with the Rams. Folk was the QB for that game.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Louie/status/902249140142444544[/tweet]

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jville":7jsoxwcp said:

HEY!!!!!! Now THAT's more like we want to see around here! Keep up the good work in the trenches protecting Russell Wilson boys! We know he can scramble if need be ... but I'd LOVE to see him not have to so much this year.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":17fy1veu said:
Jville":17fy1veu said:

HEY!!!!!! Now THAT's more like we want to see around here! Keep up the good work in the trenches protecting Russell Wilson boys! We know he can scramble if need be ... but I'd LOVE to see him not have to so much this year.

Just noticed a pressures break out for the KC game ....... [tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Louie/status/902252265121120258[/tweet]