Harvin likely to end year on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamKam

Reaction score
The only thing that really irks me is that he doesn't even really feel like he is part of the team. Why can't he be on the sidines in street clothes to at least support the team? I understand the whole protect the investment thing and I am not going to be one of those who screams about this trade because when it fist happened I was ecstatic.

This whole team is based around unity and doing your job so the guy next to you can be successful. Sidney is out for the year but he is on the sidelines pumping players up, why can't Harvin do the same especially since there is "no structural" damage??

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
el capitan":1td2liso said:
TwistedHusky":1td2liso said:
Either way, Harvin is deserving of all the hate because of the combination of missed production from players we could have (should have) had like an Allen or Patterson and the players we will probably lose because we are paying Harvin instead of giving deserving players WHO ACTUALLY HAVE PRODUCED FOR US better contracts, so they walk.

Why hate Harvin though. PC&JS made the trade, and they have far better knowledge of our future cap situation and of the players they intend to try and keep and those they are happy to let walk. Yet you hate Harvin for being a Seahawk. Why not hate Pete Carroll as well.
The only relevant fact here is that none of us know all the facts yet. I'm sure whenever our season ends it'll all come out but until then.....

Harvin has had no problem playing hurt throughout his entire career. In fact, he's garnered quite the reputation for being a tough baller that plays hurt because he supposedly is such a fierce competitor.

So what's changed? Oh that's right, he just got a Brinks truck full of guaranteed money and no longer has to perform in order to get his big payday he's been bitching about for 3-4 years.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
BamKam":1mqh3j4c said:
The only thing that really irks me is that he doesn't even really feel like he is part of the team. Why can't he be on the sidines in street clothes to at least support the team? I understand the whole protect the investment thing and I am not going to be one of those who screams about this trade because when it fist happened I was ecstatic.

This whole team is based around unity and doing your job so the guy next to you can be successful. Sidney is out for the year but he is on the sidelines pumping players up, why can't Harvin do the same especially since there is "no structural" damage??
Do you have confirmation that he's not?

Understand that very little information has been released and there is a whole lot of interpolation going on with theories being shoe-horned into the few known facts we have. Some one's opinion of what's going on =/= what's actually going on.

Also, not taking sides in this train wreck, but if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons PC&JS gave for being more drawn to Harvin over Patterson was that they strongly felt Patterson would not be available when we picked and were uncomfortable with trading up for what was an unproven asset. It's easy to look back now and say Patterson is omgstud, but the decision they had to make then wasn't so obvious.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
" Yet you hate Harvin for being a Seahawk"

I "hate" Harvin because I suspect he is being dishonest, and because I suspect that dishonesty has cost this team opportunities to upgrade at certain positions as well as keep important pieces of the team together past this year.

It is not credible to simple accept that that Harvin was in reasonable health when he got here and then after signing somehow ended up discovering some health issue that would keep him out for an entire year.

I don't hate Harvin for being a Seahawk, because he is as much a Seahawk as Cox is/was. He played one game but he collects a massive paycheck. That doesn't make him a Seahawk, it makes him a Leech. I consider him more parasite than player until he actually produces anything.

I do hate what he cost us due to his seeming dishonesty and what he will cost us in the future. And I hate that he is contributing nothing to the team at a time we need him most. He still has time to contribute something and shut everyone up but thus far he has been a net negative by miles. He deserves the disdain and hatred, because he seems either lazy or a fraud. Maybe both.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Crabhawk":vqf5at6i said:
BamKam":vqf5at6i said:

Do you have confirmation that he's not?

Understand that very little information has been released and there is a whole lot of interpolation going on with theories being shoe-horned into the few known facts we have. Some one's opinion of what's going on =/= what's actually going on.

Also, not taking sides in this train wreck, but if I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons PC&JS gave for being more drawn to Harvin over Patterson was that they strongly felt Patterson would not be available when we picked and were uncomfortable with trading up for what was an unproven asset. It's easy to look back now and say Patterson is omgstud, but the decision they had to make then wasn't so obvious.

I think that was the opinion for Tayvon Austin, not Patterson.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think the most important question that was asked in this thread went ignored.

Has Harvin ever been seen on the sidelines supporting his teammates? Is he around the team at all?

I'm asking because I seriously don't know the answer. I do know that I saw an injured Sam Bradford on the sidelines supporting his team - a team with a losing record and no chance at the playoffs - at an AWAY game. Yeah, he's a quarterback and the team leader and all that jazz, but it's still a fair question in relation to Harvin.

I won't judge the man. I don't know his heart. I don't make assumptions based on the tiny tidbits we have received from PC and the Seattle media.

The only opinion I have is that we need Harvin and up to now, he has not felt like a member of this organization at all. That's the extent of it with me and while it's fence sitting, I just don't know enough about him or the situation.

It sure would be great to see him on the sidelines supporting what we're trying to do here, though.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1biwvn0q said:
I think that was the opinion for Tayvon Austin, not Patterson.
Ah, thank you for the correction! That makes a lot more sense.

Throwdown

Reaction score
We don't see any of our marquee guys on the sideline when they're in street clothes do we? we haven't Seen Rice, KJ, anyone. The announcers don't even mention them so there isn't a need to give them camera time. Maybe someone who's been at the game can say, but how real is that account? People seem to have agendas in these Harvin threads.

el capitan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qkq27jo said:
el capitan":1qkq27jo said:
TwistedHusky":1qkq27jo said:
Either way, Harvin is deserving of all the hate because of the combination of missed production from players we could have (should have) had like an Allen or Patterson and the players we will probably lose because we are paying Harvin instead of giving deserving players WHO ACTUALLY HAVE PRODUCED FOR US better contracts, so they walk.

Why hate Harvin though. PC&JS made the trade, and they have far better knowledge of our future cap situation and of the players they intend to try and keep and those they are happy to let walk. Yet you hate Harvin for being a Seahawk. Why not hate Pete Carroll as well.
The only relevant fact here is that none of us know all the facts yet. I'm sure whenever our season ends it'll all come out but until then.....

Harvin has had no problem playing hurt throughout his entire career. In fact, he's garnered quite the reputation for being a tough baller that plays hurt because he supposedly is such a fierce competitor.

So what's changed? Oh that's right, he just got a Brinks truck full of guaranteed money and no longer has to perform in order to get his big payday he's been bitching about for 3-4 years.

Or perhaps Pete Carroll sees him as a long term investment and knew we didn't need him to win HFA and thinks his contributions next year might be more important than anything he could do now whilst not fully fit. If you believe we can win the SuperBowl without him then why risk next seasons health as well.
I'm not saying I think you're right or wrong nessesarily but right now no one really knows anything so why get stressed over it, heck we went 13-3 without him.

Rob12

Reaction score
Throwdown":1xhcljas said:
We don't see any of our marquee guys on the sideline when they're in street clothes do we? we haven't Seen Rice, KJ, anyone. The announcers don't even mention them so there isn't a need to give them camera time. Maybe someone who's been at the game can say, but how real is that account? People seem to have agendas in these Harvin threads.

I've seen Rice on the sidelines. Haven't seen KJ yet but maybe that's because he is in some form of boot.

I've been at a few games this year and haven't seen Harvin.

I'll hold to this still being a fair question to ask. I don't have an agenda or axe to grind against Harvin.

Seeker

Reaction score
Throwdown":1lo6itpm said:

I see okung on the sideline all the time when he is injured (which usually all the time).
Same with browner (even when suspended which was odd).

Usually the guys you don't see on the sideline in street clothes are the guys who are out for the season.

Harvin gets a crappy wrap because he does some things that make it look like he is all about him.

- Goes to his own doctor after seahawk doctors say he is good to go and finds one guy that says get surgeory.

- Doesn't communicate with seahawk f/o and announces decision to have surgery to "his 11's"

- Predicts when his hip would magically heal up (against his old Vikings team), runs beautifully, then has his hip magically hurt again.

- no words from his twitter about seattle right now (if you go on his twitter he is already reaching out to his "Atlanta 11's" I swear he thinks this team is the seattle harvin's).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
el capitan":5bwnorvz said:
Sgt. Largent":5bwnorvz said:
el capitan":5bwnorvz said:
TwistedHusky":5bwnorvz said:

Or perhaps Pete Carroll sees him as a long term investment and knew we didn't need him to win HFA and thinks his contributions next year might be more important than anything he could do now whilst not fully fit. If you believe we can win the SuperBowl without him then why risk next seasons health as well.
I'm not saying I think you're right or wrong nessesarily but right now no one really knows anything so why get stressed over it, heck we went 13-3 without him.

Again it comes back to the "no structural damage it's only discomfort" thing. If what you're saying is true, then the only reason to shut Harvin down is because there IS a chance of his hip incurring further structural damage. But that's not what we're being told.

My guess is Harvin can play, but he doesn't want to because he knows he'll be sore as hell after each game. So he's hoping more rest will help.

Sorry, but I'm old school. This team has a chance to win a freaking Super Bowl. That means ALL HANDS ON DECK, even hands that have a hip with "discomfort."

BamKam

Reaction score
Seeker":38bxiazs said:
Throwdown":38bxiazs said:

I see okung on the sideline all the time when he is injured (which usually all the time).

Usually the guys you don't see on the sideline in street clothes are the guys who are out for the season.

Harvin gets a crappy wrap because he does some things that make it look like he is all about him.

- Goes to his own doctor after seahawk doctors say he is good to go and finds one guy that says get surgeory.

- Doesn't communicate with seahawk f/o and announces decision to have surgery to "his 11's"

- Predicts when his hip would magically heal up (against his old Vikings team), runs beautifully, then has his hip magically hurt again.

- no words from his twitter about seattle right now (if you go on his twitter he is already reaching out to his "Atlanta 11's" I swear he thinks this team is the seattle harvin's).

I am with you on most of those but the Twitter one is ridiculous.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Harvin really doesn't tweet that much. He's not DB. Here are his last four:

@Percy_Harvin":2aza1pdu said:
To all my Atlanta followers make sure you follow @athleticadvant1 new sports performance facility opening in jan2014 ages 7- adult boot camp
Merry Christmas to everyone ...have a blessed day and enjoy ur fam
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone hope you have blessed and safe holiday ...
Jason Ross ‏@seattleskillz 22 Nov
Ran into @Percy_Harvin tonight at the Bell Sq Mall, super chill cat, couldn't have been nicer! #Seahawks #12thMan pic.twitter.com/pjdPz7ki6q

I don't really get what's there to get one's panties in a wad about. He's wishing people happy holidays, giving a shoutout to a gym or whatever that he's affiliated with, and he retweeted a Seahawks fan. I see absolutely NOTHING there that indicates he thinks this team is the Seattle Harvins.

Also, Harvin on twitter initially "predicted" he would be back week 7, which was...@Arizona. It was four weeks later that he was finally able to make an appearance for the Vikings game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2q89fb01 said:
RiverDog":2q89fb01 said:
volsunghawk":2q89fb01 said:
RiverDog":2q89fb01 said:
PC and JS were fully aware of [Harvin's injury status] and other risk factors like his drug use and his attitude problems and said to hell with it and decided he was worth the risk.

I think this is accurate. Now, this year, we haven't heard a single thing about Harvin having attitude problems or drug problems. It's all boiled down to the injury thing.

Still, I think something else you quoted is important... the Seahawks didn't trade for Harvin and give him the contract they did out of desperation. They weren't looking for one piece to put them over the top. They saw it as an opportunity. They're not selling out to try and win it all just this year... they brought Harvin in for the long-term. And while I'm sure they were hoping to get more than a handful of plays from Harvin this year, I doubt they're gnashing their teeth as much as .NET is over Harvin's situation this season.

If you evaluate the trade for this year alone, it's clearly a bust on the Fred Vinson level. If Harvin is able to strengthen his hip and be 100% coming into the 2014 season, and he contributes on a level that he has shown to be capable of going forward, then the trade will be viewed in a more favorable light.

You didn't hear about Havin's DUI arrest?

FYI I am not necessarily advocating that we cut him. What I am saying is that it is an option. Perhaps not an attractive one, but if PC/JS have become convinced that PH's hip is chronically injured or that he lacks the will, it would be a lot better to cut bait before 2/7.

You mean the DUI arrest that ended up being thrown out when a drug evaluation expert concluded that Harvin actually wasn't under the influence? That one?

Yea, that one. And not to be picky, but the arrest wasn't 'thrown out' as if it didn't happen. There was not enough evidence to charge him, a fact which does not necessarily mean he didn't have any in his system. The fact that there was enough suspicion to arrest him was very disturbing.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seeker":3mh3eami said:
Throwdown":3mh3eami said:

Rice and KJ were both on the sidelines yesterday.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RiverDog":gu2vikks said:
Yea, that one. And not to be picky, but the arrest wasn't 'thrown out' as if it didn't happen. There was not enough evidence to charge him, a fact which does not necessarily mean he didn't have any in his system. The fact that there was enough suspicion to arrest him was very disturbing.

There is nothing disturbing about it. Have you seen Harvin's eyes? They always look glossy (Same with Bennett). And he was found to be not under the influence by a drug evaluation expert after tests. If you want to take a negative view on Harvin, so be it. But he was cleared, so this shouldn't be held against him. People around here still adore Lofa, and he DID get a DUI.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":8xs5kffo said:
volsunghawk":8xs5kffo said:
You mean the DUI arrest that ended up being thrown out when a drug evaluation expert concluded that Harvin actually wasn't under the influence? That one?

I guess it would be to someone who has already proven to have a clear agenda regarding Harvin, yeah.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Regarding Patterson- I was very high on him has a KR, but not so much as a WR. If I could go back in hindsight, obviously I would rather have him and the 3rd rounder than Harvin. However, Patterson is NOT a good WR. He runs terrible routes and isn't a great catcher of the football. Sure, give him the end arounds, and the KRs and he will be an impact player. Seattle was looking for a KR, RB, WR- if Harvin wasn't injured, there would be no question that Harvin is a much better player, MUCH! Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone is upset, me included, but Seattle took a calculated risk, and it hasn't paid off. They also took a risk on Lynch, White, Clemons, ect. Some pay off, some don't.

My point is saying we should have taken Patterson was obvious is hugely retrospective and ignorant.

Will I

Reaction score
RiverDog":263jr8mm said:
volsunghawk":263jr8mm said:
RiverDog":263jr8mm said:
volsunghawk":263jr8mm said:
I think this is accurate. Now, this year, we haven't heard a single thing about Harvin having attitude problems or drug problems. It's all boiled down to the injury thing.

Still, I think something else you quoted is important... the Seahawks didn't trade for Harvin and give him the contract they did out of desperation. They weren't looking for one piece to put them over the top. They saw it as an opportunity. They're not selling out to try and win it all just this year... they brought Harvin in for the long-term. And while I'm sure they were hoping to get more than a handful of plays from Harvin this year, I doubt they're gnashing their teeth as much as .NET is over Harvin's situation this season.

If you evaluate the trade for this year alone, it's clearly a bust on the Fred Vinson level. If Harvin is able to strengthen his hip and be 100% coming into the 2014 season, and he contributes on a level that he has shown to be capable of going forward, then the trade will be viewed in a more favorable light.

You didn't hear about Havin's DUI arrest?

FYI I am not necessarily advocating that we cut him. What I am saying is that it is an option. Perhaps not an attractive one, but if PC/JS have become convinced that PH's hip is chronically injured or that he lacks the will, it would be a lot better to cut bait before 2/7.

So what are your thoughts on Lynch? Not only was he arrested, but he has an actual court date... Eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts