Harvin likely to end year on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3lnceacp said:
KCHawkGirl":3lnceacp said:
It's incredible that the injury prone tag is still being used like a fact when it's a lie. As I keep saying the crow that will be eaten by the usual suspects is getting large enough that it may choke them if care isn't taken.
Be sure you woman up and eat yours if you're wrong. I'll gladly chow mine if you're right cuz anything that helps the Hawks win is FAR more important to me than being correct in my OPINION of the situation.
I shall no worries.:)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I blame the 2013 draft.

Say what you want about Patterson, they made this deal because they looked at what was out there and believed nobody could get close to Harvin's ability. And they were right. He's an elite playmaker on his day. And it was a trade from heaven IF he stays healthy. It's a shame it hasn't worked out this year.

But let's at least see what 2014 brings before writing him off.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":dmyqc7v4 said:
I blame the 2013 draft.

Say what you want about Patterson, they made this deal because they looked at what was out there and believed nobody could get close to Harvin's ability. And they were right. He's an elite playmaker on his day. And it was a trade from heaven IF he stays healthy. It's a shame it hasn't worked out this year.

If this season ends up as the best shot the Carroll era team has to win a Super Bowl that has to be part of the discussion, even if Harvin is productive in 2014 and beyond. The team needs a playmaker to aid in the super bowl run right now. Patterson could be actually helping this team right now.

You never know what will happen next season. If you told Texans fans this time last season they would be picking #1 in 2014 they would have thought it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever heard. But things can change quickly in the NFL, clearly. I can appreciate the long-term view but I've waited long enough for a seahawk Super Bowl win. Ironically, long term it looks like they would have been far better off with Patterson, but not many thought he would be this good right away. I sure didn't.

Will I

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":30l8w07j said:
theENGLISHseahawk":30l8w07j said:
I blame the 2013 draft.

If this season ends up as the best shot the Carroll era team has to win a Super Bowl that has to be part of the discussion, even if Harvin is productive in 2014 and beyond. The team needs a playmaker to aid in the super bowl run right now. Patterson could be actually helping this team right now.

You never know what will happen next season. If you told Texans fans this time last season they would be picking #1 in 2014 they would have thought it was the most ridiculous thing they'd ever heard. But things can change quickly in the NFL, clearly. I can appreciate the long-term view but I've waited long enough for a seahawk Super Bowl win. Ironically, long term it looks like they would have been far better off with Patterson, but not many thought he would be this good right away. I sure didn't.

Who's to say Patterson wouldn't have got injured during one of the games this year as a WR for the Hawks? You can't just say he'd be here producing at WR without opening up Pandora's box. The what if game could go on and on and on.

Seeker

Reaction score
Injured while under rookie contract > Injured while counting all his money and tweeting HIS 11's (I hate when he does that).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No but it was clear that Keenan Allen was going to be phenomenal and we missed that train by trading for Harvin too.

Everyone I know was amped about Allen, being in the Pac-12 territory we saw enough of him and frankly, you generally don't go wrong by taking a chance on a Cal WR when he starred for Cal.

I never was that excited about Patterson, so I would have missed on that one but missing out on Allen when it turns out we needed a good WR, seems crazy. Especially for a WR that likely will never contribute more than a few games per year to us. He is clearly our Greg Oden, but with less toughness. Maybe a combination of Oden and D Rose (Oden's durability combined with Rose's heart)?

Either way, we got the division without him so he now either has the playoffs to contribute or to hell with him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":24ibb3r3 said:
No but it was clear that Keenan Allen was going to be phenomenal and we missed that train by trading for Harvin too.

Is that why he fell to round three? Because it was obvious?

Allen said he nearly retired from football after failing to start the first game of the season. He's talented, but that's banana's. Imagine if every rookie receiver quit the game having not started in week one!

He was deadly serious by the way.

As for Patterson -- he makes big plays. He did it at Tennessee too. He also has games where he's at best totally anonymous and at worst frustratingly inconsistent with mental errors. He was no sure thing either.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":285hc27v said:

Everyone I know was amped about Allen, being in the Pac-12 territory we saw enough of him and frankly, you generally don't go wrong by taking a chance on a Cal WR when he starred for Cal.

I guess I don't see why you don't have a job as a NFL scout currently.

RiverDog

Reaction score
volsunghawk":9m07cdql said:
RiverDog":9m07cdql said:
PC and JS were fully aware of [Harvin's injury status] and other risk factors like his drug use and his attitude problems and said to hell with it and decided he was worth the risk.

I think this is accurate. Now, this year, we haven't heard a single thing about Harvin having attitude problems or drug problems. It's all boiled down to the injury thing.

Still, I think something else you quoted is important... the Seahawks didn't trade for Harvin and give him the contract they did out of desperation. They weren't looking for one piece to put them over the top. They saw it as an opportunity. They're not selling out to try and win it all just this year... they brought Harvin in for the long-term. And while I'm sure they were hoping to get more than a handful of plays from Harvin this year, I doubt they're gnashing their teeth as much as .NET is over Harvin's situation this season.

If you evaluate the trade for this year alone, it's clearly a bust on the Fred Vinson level. If Harvin is able to strengthen his hip and be 100% coming into the 2014 season, and he contributes on a level that he has shown to be capable of going forward, then the trade will be viewed in a more favorable light.

You didn't hear about Havin's DUI arrest?

FYI I am not necessarily advocating that we cut him. What I am saying is that it is an option. Perhaps not an attractive one, but if PC/JS have become convinced that PH's hip is chronically injured or that he lacks the will, it would be a lot better to cut bait before 2/7.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I still say we're not being told everything about Harvin's hip.

If there truly is no structural issues, and it's just a discomfort thing, then it makes no sense that he's not even practicing and attempting to get back on the field. When guys don't practice it means they don't want to push themselves because it might result in further damaging their injury.

Mark my words, there is something serious going on with Harvin, and I expect we're going to hear about it once he's shut down.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1vrw2jt2 said:
volsunghawk":1vrw2jt2 said:
RiverDog":1vrw2jt2 said:
PC and JS were fully aware of [Harvin's injury status] and other risk factors like his drug use and his attitude problems and said to hell with it and decided he was worth the risk.

I think this is accurate. Now, this year, we haven't heard a single thing about Harvin having attitude problems or drug problems. It's all boiled down to the injury thing.

Still, I think something else you quoted is important... the Seahawks didn't trade for Harvin and give him the contract they did out of desperation. They weren't looking for one piece to put them over the top. They saw it as an opportunity. They're not selling out to try and win it all just this year... they brought Harvin in for the long-term. And while I'm sure they were hoping to get more than a handful of plays from Harvin this year, I doubt they're gnashing their teeth as much as .NET is over Harvin's situation this season.

If you evaluate the trade for this year alone, it's clearly a bust on the Fred Vinson level. If Harvin is able to strengthen his hip and be 100% coming into the 2014 season, and he contributes on a level that he has shown to be capable of going forward, then the trade will be viewed in a more favorable light.

FYI I am not necessarily advocating that we cut him. What I am saying is that it is an option. Perhaps not an attractive one, but if PC/JS have become convinced that PH's hip is chronically injured or that he lacks the will, it would be a lot better to cut bait before 2/7.

You mean the DUI arrest that ended up being thrown out when a drug evaluation expert concluded that Harvin actually wasn't under the influence? That one?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RiverDog":1fujbek2 said:
volsunghawk":1fujbek2 said:
RiverDog":1fujbek2 said:

Whats with the ANTI-HARVIN agenda you have? Are you trolling or just ignorant? We (you specifically and others in response to your posts) have discussed this in plenty of threads and in every thread you you have been corrected only to ignore it. Whats your deal?

Why do you want to go over his "arrest" over and over again when you know exactly what happened?

plyka

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":bu821hme said:
TwistedHusky":bu821hme said:

Is that why he fell to round three? Because it was obvious?

Allen said he nearly retired from football after failing to start the first game of the season. He's talented, but that's banana's. Imagine if every rookie receiver quit the game having not started in week one!

He was deadly serious by the way.

As for Patterson -- he makes big plays. He did it at Tennessee too. He also has games where he's at best totally anonymous and at worst frustratingly inconsistent with mental errors. He was no sure thing either.

Your dig on Allen is nonsense.

1) Lot's of people say lots of things, most of the time it's emotions of the moment.
2) There is a difference between saying something and doing something. Allen obviously did not do a thing in this case.
3) Just because you believe he was serious doesn't mean he was serious. And even if he was serious, it's possible to be serious for a moment in time and then change your mind.

Basically you're STRETCHING to find something wrong with Allen. What you found was he said something wacky once perhaps in joking, perhaps serious with emotions running wild. He did not take any actions on that one wacky thought. Somehow this is supposed to make your point that Allen was not a good WRs for the Seahawks to pick up? What sense does this make? I'm sure Russell Wilson once thought a pass of his was due to divine intervention, perhaps we should ship him off to Arizona immediately?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Allen fell to round 3 because WRs tend to take 3 years to start producing (even look at how long Tate needed to start being a producer in the NFL).

Also because WRs in the earlier rounds seem to have a fairly high failure rate vs impact when you compare to other positions out there. And we were indeed stocked with WRs at the beginning of the year (remember the embarrassment of riches at WR in preseason? though admittedly some of that was from assuming Harvin wasn't an utter piece of crap at the time) but given the track record of Cal WRs? And our need for a playmaking #1 (hence the Harvin trade in the first place?)

Hell yes we should have picked him.

Either way, Harvin is deserving of all the hate because of the combination of missed production from players we could have (should have) had like an Allen or Patterson and the players we will probably lose because we are paying Harvin instead of giving deserving players WHO ACTUALLY HAVE PRODUCED FOR US better contracts, so they walk.

(As for being a scout? Sometimes you are so near a situation and you have so many data points you actually miss things. You project things out wrong, or worse. The idea that you have to be enmeshed in an industry to draw a conclusion is folly.

Cal has a recent track record of sending solid WRs to the NFL, if you are going to take a flyer on someone it certainly would not hurt to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a star WR in the Pac-12, where pro style offenses and good cornerbacks tend to reside at the same time. Especially considering all the gaps and issues that Cal faced, which made being a good WR harder. That isn't rocket science, just reasonable observation. Allen dropped because he ran a slow 40, not because of his college production. But Terrell Owens wasn't a stellar 40 either, and neither were other star WRs in the past. What matters is that you can get open and catch the ball against pro or pro caliber corners and he did that.)

Axx

Reaction score
im surprised it has taken so long to recover..... Oh well

el capitan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2lpd9iqv said:
Either way, Harvin is deserving of all the hate because of the combination of missed production from players we could have (should have) had like an Allen or Patterson and the players we will probably lose because we are paying Harvin instead of giving deserving players WHO ACTUALLY HAVE PRODUCED FOR US better contracts, so they walk.

Why hate Harvin though. PC&JS made the trade, and they have far better knowledge of our future cap situation and of the players they intend to try and keep and those they are happy to let walk. Yet you hate Harvin for being a Seahawk. Why not hate Pete Carroll as well.
The only relevant fact here is that none of us know all the facts yet. I'm sure whenever our season ends it'll all come out but until then.....

lukerguy

Reaction score
Floridahawk79":2023b3kf said:
I have just one question. Has he been on the sidelines at our home games supporting his teammates?
Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts