Harvin likely to end year on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Basis4day":34pcvrkl said:
RiverDog":34pcvrkl said:
Yea, that one. And not to be picky, but the arrest wasn't 'thrown out' as if it didn't happen. There was not enough evidence to charge him, a fact which does not necessarily mean he didn't have any in his system. The fact that there was enough suspicion to arrest him was very disturbing.

There is nothing disturbing about it. Have you seen Harvin's eyes? They always look glossy (Same with Bennett). And he was found to be not under the influence by a drug evaluation expert after tests. If you want to take a negative view on Harvin, so be it. But he was cleared, so this shouldn't be held against him. People around here still adore Lofa, and he DID get a DUI.

That's not completely true. Yes, he was not found to have exceeded the legal threshold. But that doesn't necessarily mean he was found not to have had it in his system at all.

Harvin was arrested by a state trooper that has been trained to identify suspected drug use and whether or not it might be enough to affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. I hardly think he was hauled in simply because his eyes looked glossy. They are taught not to rely on one piece of evidence. But go ahead and rationalize the incident if you like. I was very concerned because of the irresponsibility of him even allowing it or someone else smoking it in his car. He knows full well that even having it in his possession is cause for discipline by the league. Go dig back into Harvin's history a little bit and you'll see that this wasn't the first time he's been suspected of drug use.

As far as Lynch's DUI goes, there's one big difference between his case and Harvin's in that consumption of alcohol is not prohibited by the NFL. Marijuana consumption is. Alcohol only becomes a problem if he drives drunk, or commits some other transgression while under the influence. As far as Lynch's case goes, it's my understanding is that he was barely over the limit, and since there was no accident, he stands a pretty good chance of beating it or of having the case dropped. But we'll see. In any event, it's comparing apples with oranges.

The question isn't about adoring him. It's whether or not this guy is committed to bring us a Lombardi, and this incident, coupled with the mystery surrounding his hip injury and his difficulties at Minnesota, makes me wonder if he's fully "in". Outside of a nice KO return and a spectacular pass reception, Harvin hasn't done anything to reassure me that he's dedicated to our ultimate, common goal of winning the SB.

SeaChase

Reaction score
How does that have anything to do with placing Harvin on IR...

RiverDog

Reaction score
SeaChase":iye3xslu said:
How does that have anything to do with placing Harvin on IR...

The issue isn't placing him on IR. The issue is what does it mean if we don't.

If Percy isn't placed on IR, it could mean that the team plans on cutting him before Feb. 7th, perhaps due in part to his attitude or commitment to our team. The DUI arrest could have been a precursor to his not being particularly interested in playing football for us if he's that reckless with his behavior. It marked a point when I first started having suspicions about Harvin's being 'in.'

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Rob12":uug3woeg said:
I think the most important question that was asked in this thread went ignored.

Has Harvin ever been seen on the sidelines supporting his teammates? Is he around the team at all?

I'm asking because I seriously don't know the answer. I do know that I saw an injured Sam Bradford on the sidelines supporting his team - a team with a losing record and no chance at the playoffs - at an AWAY game. Yeah, he's a quarterback and the team leader and all that jazz, but it's still a fair question in relation to Harvin.

I won't judge the man. I don't know his heart. I don't make assumptions based on the tiny tidbits we have received from PC and the Seattle media.

The only opinion I have is that we need Harvin and up to now, he has not felt like a member of this organization at all. That's the extent of it with me and while it's fence sitting, I just don't know enough about him or the situation.

It sure would be great to see him on the sidelines supporting what we're trying to do here, though.
Crabtree was on the sideline for every game this season, despite undergoing vigorous rehab. I know this isn't a 49ers thread, but just providing another example..

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3ruzhlnd said:
Rob12":3ruzhlnd said:

Has Harvin ever been seen on the sidelines supporting his teammates? Is he around the team at all?

I'm asking because I seriously don't know the answer. I do know that I saw an injured Sam Bradford on the sidelines supporting his team - a team with a losing record and no chance at the playoffs - at an AWAY game. Yeah, he's a quarterback and the team leader and all that jazz, but it's still a fair question in relation to Harvin.

I won't judge the man. I don't know his heart. I don't make assumptions based on the tiny tidbits we have received from PC and the Seattle media.

The only opinion I have is that we need Harvin and up to now, he has not felt like a member of this organization at all. That's the extent of it with me and while it's fence sitting, I just don't know enough about him or the situation.

It sure would be great to see him on the sidelines supporting what we're trying to do here, though.
Crabtree was on the sideline for every game this season, despite undergoing vigorous rehab. I know this isn't a 49ers thread, but just providing another example..

We don't give rat's as.s about Crabtree dude. Just go away and stay in your own forum. :49ersmall:

Basis4day

Reaction score
RiverDog":2h6hui5v said:
Basis4day":2h6hui5v said:
RiverDog":2h6hui5v said:
Yea, that one. And not to be picky, but the arrest wasn't 'thrown out' as if it didn't happen. There was not enough evidence to charge him, a fact which does not necessarily mean he didn't have any in his system. The fact that there was enough suspicion to arrest him was very disturbing.

There is nothing disturbing about it. Have you seen Harvin's eyes? They always look glossy (Same with Bennett). And he was found to be not under the influence by a drug evaluation expert after tests. If you want to take a negative view on Harvin, so be it. But he was cleared, so this shouldn't be held against him. People around here still adore Lofa, and he DID get a DUI.

That's not completely true. Yes, he was not found to have exceeded the legal threshold. But that doesn't necessarily mean he was found not to have had it in his system at all.

Harvin was arrested by a state trooper that has been trained to identify suspected drug use and whether or not it might be enough to affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. I hardly think he was hauled in simply because his eyes looked glossy. They are taught not to rely on one piece of evidence. But go ahead and rationalize the incident if you like. I was very concerned because of the irresponsibility of him even allowing it or someone else smoking it in his car. He knows full well that even having it in his possession is cause for discipline by the league. Go dig back into Harvin's history a little bit and you'll see that this wasn't the first time he's been suspected of drug use.

As far as Lynch's DUI goes, there's one big difference between his case and Harvin's in that consumption of alcohol is not prohibited by the NFL. Marijuana consumption is. Alcohol only becomes a problem if he drives drunk, or commits some other transgression while under the influence. As far as Lynch's case goes, it's my understanding is that he was barely over the limit, and since there was no accident, he stands a pretty good chance of beating it or of having the case dropped. But we'll see. In any event, it's comparing apples with oranges.

The question isn't about adoring him. It's whether or not this guy is committed to bring us a Lombardi, and this incident, coupled with the mystery surrounding his hip injury and his difficulties at Minnesota, makes me wonder if he's fully "in". Outside of a nice KO return and a spectacular pass reception, Harvin hasn't done anything to reassure me that he's dedicated to our ultimate, common goal of winning the SB.

Lofa, not Lynch.

To me, it sounds like you're rationalizing the fact that was taken in for a DUI test as somehow indicative that he used marijuana while driving. You rely on the officer's opinion that he was under the influence as proof that he was, but dismiss the person that tested him at the station who said he was not. Why do you trust the officer, but not the person that chemically proved he was not under the influence?

The officer erred on the side of caution, it really is that simple. Unless i'm mistaken, there is no roadside breathalyzer for marijuana (though they are working on it). The only way to chemically test Harvin is at the station. This is exactly the same as a person being tested for alcohol and blowing under the legal limit or getting a blood test at the station.

If you want to dislike the player, do it for the right reasons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3man6nsy said:
SoHo9erFan":3man6nsy said:
Rob12":3man6nsy said:

We don't give rat's as.s about Crabtree dude. Just go away and stay in your own forum. :49ersmall:

Speak for yourself, it's a good comparison. There's a laundry list of players that went through a serious injury this year that not only sucked it up to come back and play for their teams, but never missed a down on the sidelines..........Rodgers, Pitta and Crabtree to name a few.

Not Harvin, he runs a little on the sidelines at practice, avoids the media like the plague and hasn't once been on the sidelines of a game except for when he suited up. I used to have a ton of respect for how hard Harvin played, but now it's becoming obvious that his critics in Minnesota that called him selfish and a prima dona wasn't just sour grapes.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Basis4day":3rfsefgr said:
RiverDog":3rfsefgr said:
Basis4day":3rfsefgr said:
RiverDog":3rfsefgr said:

Lofa, not Lynch.

To me, it sounds like you're rationalizing the fact that was taken in for a DUI test as somehow indicative that he used marijuana while driving. You rely on the officer's opinion that he was under the influence as proof that he was, but dismiss the person that tested him at the station who said he was not. Why do you trust the officer, but not the person that chemically proved he was not under the influence?

The officer erred on the side of caution, it really is that simple. Unless i'm mistaken, there is no roadside breathalyzer for marijuana (though they are working on it). The only way to chemically test Harvin is at the station. This is exactly the same as a person being tested for alcohol and blowing under the legal limit or getting a blood test at the station.

If you want to dislike the player, do it for the right reasons.

citizen_cane.gif

ceej22

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mowh8yt said:
Again it comes back to the "no structural damage it's only discomfort" thing. If what you're saying is true, then the only reason to shut Harvin down is because there IS a chance of his hip incurring further structural damage. But that's not what we're being told.

My guess is Harvin can play, but he doesn't want to because he knows he'll be sore as hell after each game. So he's hoping more rest will help.

Sorry, but I'm old school. This team has a chance to win a freaking Super Bowl. That means ALL HANDS ON DECK, even hands that have a hip with "discomfort."

No, what we are being told is that there is no structural damage at this point not that there isn't a risk of further structural damage.

Now it is interesting that they keep calling it "soreness" in his hip and that he hasn't practiced since the Minnesota game. If it's just soreness he should be able to run through some drills. So that leads me to believe Harvin is doing exactly what many believed he would do after getting paid or Carroll is not telling the whole story regarding the seriousness of the injury. What does Carroll have to gain from pretending it's just soreness when it is more? Nothing. No one is being fooled into thinking he might play in the next game.

I think one thing is clear and that is he will not play again this year. What I want to know is why not put him on IR? I've heard that it would guarantee his 2014 salary but that's not a big deal if you expect him to be a part of the team in 2014. IMO that leaves a couple scenarios 1) his unwillingness to practice through the soreness is pissing off his employers and they want to hold on to any leverage they might have for next season OR 2) there is real concern that his career is over and naturally they wouldn't want to guarantee his full 2014 salary. From the information we have it's hard not to assume the former.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ceej22":32hhlr1t said:
Sgt. Largent":32hhlr1t said:
Again it comes back to the "no structural damage it's only discomfort" thing. If what you're saying is true, then the only reason to shut Harvin down is because there IS a chance of his hip incurring further structural damage. But that's not what we're being told.

My guess is Harvin can play, but he doesn't want to because he knows he'll be sore as hell after each game. So he's hoping more rest will help.

Sorry, but I'm old school. This team has a chance to win a freaking Super Bowl. That means ALL HANDS ON DECK, even hands that have a hip with "discomfort."

No, what we are being told is that there is no structural damage at this point not that there isn't a risk of further structural damage.

If there was a risk of further structural damage then Harvin wouldn't have played in the Vikings game...............AND if this was the case then that's what Pete would say, or Harvin would say if God forbid he actually interacted with the media for 20 seconds.

That's what I'm saying, the only reason I can see as to why Pete's so vague and there ZERO access to Harvin is because this is far more serious than they're letting on. The surgery obviously didn't go as planned, and his hip isn't reacting well.

As far as why he hasn't been placed on the IR yet? I have no idea, considering he hasn't practiced in weeks, so there's no way in hell he's coming back now.

Rob12

Reaction score
I saw Rice on the sidelines pumping up Kearse a few games back. He posted an Instagram video celebrating with the team after last night's win. I know Sidney is a Seahawk. I know he is IN.

Is Harvin? Sorry for asking the question but it's asked because people don't know. I've supported the trade from the start and I still do, essentially. I just want him to be a part of what we have going here and I hope the man feels the same way.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hl4dyj0j said:
ceej22":hl4dyj0j said:
Sgt. Largent":hl4dyj0j said:

If there was a risk of further structural damage then Harvin wouldn't have played in the Vikings game...............AND if this was the case then that's what Pete would say, or Harvin would say if God forbid he actually interacted with the media for 20 seconds.

That's what I'm saying, the only reason I can see as to why Pete's so vague and there ZERO access to Harvin is because this is far more serious than they're letting on. The surgery obviously didn't go as planned, and his hip isn't reacting well.

As far as why he hasn't been placed on the IR yet? I have no idea, considering he hasn't practiced in weeks, so there's no way in hell he's coming back now.

IR'ing him has salary cap implications based on the language of his contract. Couple that with the private salary cap negotiations for extensions on current players that are happening behind the scenes and you can see why it's beneficial to keep it close to the vest.

I'm resigned to the fact that the team isn't going to make any more information available unless he is officially IR'd. They have more important things to worry about like the players that can play.

sturg78

Reaction score
Rumor circulating through reddit is that it was a tumor removed and now he is seeking chemo. That's why everything is being handled privately. Tin foil hats on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I do believe the people that have mentioned the lack of Harvin's presence on the sideline make a very valid point in terms of his being "in", particularly in light of Sidney still being part of the team here and Crabtree, Pitta, Rodgers, et. al. also doing so around the league. However, if sturg78 is correct above^^, then all of this makes much more sense.

Seeker

Reaction score
sturg78":yumdbeb5 said:
Rumor circulating through reddit is that it was a tumor removed and now he is seeking chemo. That's why everything is being handled privately. Tin foil hats on.

Now if it's that then eff football and I wish dude the best. pulling back all judgment until this is confirmed.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
sturg78":2tu6pb7d said:

Let's be clear that someone on a message board pulled a guess out of thin air that this is the case.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seeker":10ckk6v8 said:
sturg78":10ckk6v8 said:

Now if it's that then eff football and I wish dude the best. pulling back all judgment until this is confirmed.

I just looked it up and it was a random guess by some poster based on the fact he had a BENIGN tumor removed during the offseason.

See for yourself:

[–]tempromatic 22 points 2 hours ago
I have a theory, I think Percy is going through chemotherapy. No one is talking about the fact that early on he had a tumor supposedly removed. Also makes me really angry when I read people complaining about him.

I am just re-posting this to put this ridiculous speculation to bed. This is not an appropriate topic to launch baseless rumors about.

Seeker

Reaction score
oh ok I was just worried. cancer no joke.
then again, he didn't appear to have lost any weight in that game.
I just hope we are all being played for suckers by pete and he is good to go for the playoffs. this team plus a focused harvin would be unstoppable.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Pete's presser on 710 right now (sorry no link yet) - just said Percy WILL practice on Thursday with the intention of playing in the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.