Harvin likely to end year on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I am not too sure how much is saved honestly, and there is a lot of dead money. Overthecap.com may assist in identifying players guaranteed-dead $. Where the team is regarding the cap a million saved here and there help give raises and retain players like Tate, Baldwin, Okung, ET3, etc. It will be interesting to see how they manage it this off season. I cannot recall this FO ever restructuring contracts either. MRob was just cut and resigned later which saved some cap, but I for one know I will be bummed to see some of our guys leave. Just the nature of the business.

kf3339

Reaction score
I have a very strong feeling that Harvin is done as a Seahawk unless he agrees to a very different contract restructure in that 5 day window right after the Super Bowl. That is the only reason I can see the team not IR him if he is not even practicing at this point in the season.

PC and JS are not going to IR him which is probably what Harvin wants to happen. He has shown he is not capable of playing with pain even though he is structurally sound which is what PC has said on several occasions. So the only hope we as fans have is that he somehow decides he is now ready to play for the playoffs, but that is very unlikely since this game today is in many ways even more important because of the HFA aspect.

So I will say now that IMO Harvin will have to restructure to a very team friendly deal or be cut which is exactly what I would do.

kf3339

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3mfjmfae said:
HawkMeat":3mfjmfae said:
Spiderdan":3mfjmfae said:
They won't put him on IR. His salary for 2014 is injury guaranteed, which means if he ends the season on IR his 2014 salary is fully guaranteed. If the Seahawks cut him within 6 days after the end of the season and he's not injured, there's plenty of salary cap relief.
I agree this is probably what is going on.

There are some great WR and lineman in this year's draft, so I can look forward to that.

Isn't it only a couple million in savings? The dead money is like 9m per through 2016 I thought?

There is some dead money cap relief if or when we cut him, but it's not $9M per year thru 2016. Probably high for 2014 and that will be it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Does the NFL have a lemon law? If he never practices and we have to cut him do we get a pick back or something?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harvin going on IR is pure speculation on Rap's part. The only thing he has solid info on is that Harvin is probably done for the year. As a national guy, I doubt he's thought much about the injury guarantee in Percy's contract. It may still happen, but I imagine this is something PC/JS are mulling over long and hard.

If he goes on IR, Harvin is a guaranteed 13.5 million cap hit in 2014 ($11 million base + 2.5 pro-rated signing bonus hit). If you keep him active then cut him, you take a $10 million dead money hit. So, the savings for 2014 is in the neighborhood of $3-4 million, which is MEANINGFUL. Even more significant is that you clear his contract off your cap completely in 2015 and beyond. Cutting Harvin now may give you most of the money you need for Golden Tate or Michael Bennett depending how you structure either of them.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't see them putting Harvin on the IR. Keeping him on the 53 man roster is the smart thing to do as it preserves the most options and buys our brain trust some time to decide what to do with him. If he gets healthy, they can still play him, and keeping a spot open for an MVP caliber player is well worth the cost of having to play with 52.

There are restrictions in the c.b.a. that discourages teams from cutting players on the IR. There's also some advantages to cutting him within a week after the end of the season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":18g4s1hg said:
Cfuji":18g4s1hg said:
Cordarrelle Patterson 50 Yard Run for a TD........great trade

Hindsight.

hindsight is how you judge the moves you make in life. It's not a bad thing if you learn from your mistakes.
In hindsight Percy's agent earned his money by getting our people to include that injury guarantee for a player that he probably knew was already injured. I'm sure Paul Allen doesn't get taken too often.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
After we win the SuperBowl I hope we can have a legitimate conversation about Harvin and the immense flaws of PC & JS in drafting skill players for this offense.

A

Anonymous

bigdaddydave":3vsety2v said:
After we win the SuperBowl I hope we can have a legitimate conversation about Harvin and the immense flaws of PC & JS in drafting skill players for this offense.

Dave, can we talk?

We don't use the "S" word around here.

The preferred word grouping is "Superb Owl".

And yes, I believe we CAN have an intelligent conversation about Harvin. Unfortunately, so may folks have their collective panties in a wad, it has been next to impossible. This thread has yet to get out of hand, but it IS still early...

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
brimsalabim":qq7t67kl said:
CurryStopstheRuns":qq7t67kl said:
Cfuji":qq7t67kl said:
Cordarrelle Patterson 50 Yard Run for a TD........great trade

Hindsight.

hindsight is how you judge the moves you make in life. It's not a bad thing if you learn from your mistakes.
In hindsight Percy's agent earned his money by getting our people to include that injury guarantee for a player that he probably knew was already injured. I'm sure Paul Allen doesn't get taken too often.

It is a bad thing when used by people that do not understand what it is for. Sort of like saying irregardless.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Will I":3mtsjum4 said:
Harvin threads are like a revolving door... I see the same things over and over while going nowhere.
Yeah I'd say it's like a treadmill but he's probably not feeling good enough to use one so........ :sarcasm_off:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
maybe if he was on IR earlier we could have made a trade for someone like Britt, ya he has problems but we could of got him for nothing and it is a better option than Kearse or Lockette. If we lose Tate or Baldwin we are done...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1c8s5dtt said:
Harvin going on IR is pure speculation on Rap's part. The only thing he has solid info on is that Harvin is probably done for the year. As a national guy, I doubt he's thought much about the injury guarantee in Percy's contract. It may still happen, but I imagine this is something PC/JS are mulling over long and hard.

If he goes on IR, Harvin is a guaranteed 13.5 million cap hit in 2014 ($11 million base + 2.5 pro-rated signing bonus hit). If you keep him active then cut him, you take a $10 million dead money hit. So, the savings for 2014 is in the neighborhood of $3-4 million, which is MEANINGFUL. Even more significant is that you clear his contract off your cap completely in 2015 and beyond. Cutting Harvin now may give you most of the money you need for Golden Tate or Michael Bennett depending how you structure either of them.

seems like really lazy reporting. We need every dollar next year. No way they IR him if they save $3M. Can you imagine if they cut him? what are the chances?

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Rapaport is an idiot, as is Schefter. Not much in the news so they speculate

A

Anonymous

I think our FO is one of the wiser groups we've ever had and in more ways than we think.

Every personnel decision they make has probably been run through numerous probability scenarios, grids, matrices, enumeration algorithms, and been cleared by former members of the Secret Service. Hell, I'm sure they checked with the Masonic Lodge as well.

Have they made any real mistakes?

Donk70

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":2nsbn7x1 said:
Rapaport is an idiot, as is Schefter. Not much in the news so they speculate
On the contrary, both are well respected in league circles.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3persbwg said:
I think our FO is one of the wiser groups we've ever had and in more ways than we think.

Every personnel decision they make has probably been run through numerous probability scenarios, grids, matrices, enumeration algorithms, and been cleared by former members of the Secret Service. Hell, I'm sure they checked with the Masonic Lodge as well.

Have they made any real mistakes?
If you don't believe that giving Harvin the injury guarantee was a mistake then you obviously aren't going to accept any answer at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts