Griffin

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I doubt I'm the only one who noticed that Flowers was VERY grabby last night in that game. That isn't gonna' fly.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Flowers is going to get called for PI often for a while. And he is going to get nailed for defensive holding regularly.

He will probably turn into a very good corner if he can learn to be physical without the flags, but expecting him to replace Griffin is probably not a great plan.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Shaquil reminds me more and more of Kelly Jennings. Blanket coverage but doesn’t prevent the receiver from making a reception. Glad it’s only preseason so he has time to recover.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Thought he really got some over exasperated heat last year, considering that many here in the first two games last year thought he was going to the next level (myself included). Guy is still a good tackler and might take him a couple years. We all know that if PC likes a project it will be tested. Anyone can defend his first two years but unfortunately for him, this could be his cemented season. Especially with the play of Amadi and yes, Flowers. Flowers is progressing at a Seahawk rate at CB. Dare I say a Sherman rate, without the attitude. Maybe tude is needed I don't know. I'm ok with just playing the game and knocking spit out of someone.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
A part of me thinks that if Kris Richard had stayed, maybe that would have been better for Griffin's development, Richard was excellent with DB's.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14v7fmj7 said:
Shaquil reminds me more and more of Kelly Jennings. Blanket coverage but doesn’t prevent the receiver from making a reception. Glad it’s only preseason so he has time to recover.

So the worst case scenario is that our third round pick might have a 6 year NFL career with over 40 career starts?

Cool.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Like I stated earlier in the year I think our secondary is the weakest link on this team and they are going to get lit up by good passing teams. There is hope for improvement for some of the guys but I dont think Griffin will be a good starter ala Josh Wilson at best

Seafan

Reaction score
It took Byron Maxwell a few years to be LOB material. Grif made mistakes but they can be corrected.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":bjbjah3n said:

That sounds like most of the average corners in the league. If he can cover, then at least the WR and QB have to make a difficult throw and catch.

Problem with Jennings is he couldn't tackle either. At least Griffin can tackle.

There are few shutdown corners anymore because the league has given so much leeway to the WR's that it's become a near impossible job. Even the best guys out there, Sherman, Norman, Ramsey, Peters, etc are getting burned pretty frequently.

What makes a secondary exceptional these days is pass rush. If you can't pressure a QB into bad throws, then no CB is going to hold up.

Fade

Reaction score
@ Sgt. Largent

Pete's simple system allows corners to play well by default, it is pretty much plug and play.

They are taught a specific press / press bail technique and have one responsibility. Don't get beat deep.

Pete can live with his corner's giving up the underneath stuff.

So when you see a Seahawks corner constintently getting beat deep there is a problem.

Kind of like a 1 technique consistently not maintaining there gap in the run game.

It is a cardinal sin of sorts and is counter intuitive to the structure of the defense.

xray

Reaction score
Imho...Griffin will be tested constantly every game by our opponents QBs.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Our standards are high. Shaquill is a solid #2 on a decent team. The hope was always that Tre, with his combination of length, height, and speed, would take the next step.

But in reality, the best you can safely hope for is a B+ at every level on defense. Our LBs are A+, which is a blessing. I think our pass rush will be better than people expect. McDougald is a solid A- on a good day, and a B on an average day. And Tedric won’t blow you away with explosive plays or turnovers. You’ll just know he had a good game when you don’t hear his name.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As long as he keeps everything in front of him, Pete will be happy. But he can't let guys get behind him.
That being said, Thielen gets behind everyone so......

Mad Dog

Reaction score
xray":t6reet9k said:
Imho...Griffin will be tested constantly every game by our opponents QBs.

That didn't happen last year. Why would it happen this year? He doesn't look any worse.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":5d7qyrzd said:
Our standards are high. Shaquill is a solid #2 on a decent team. The hope was always that Tre, with his combination of length, height, and speed, would take the next step.

But in reality, the best you can safely hope for is a B+ at every level on defense. Our LBs are A+, which is a blessing. I think our pass rush will be better than people expect. McDougald is a solid A- on a good day, and a B on an average day. And Tedric won’t blow you away with explosive plays or turnovers. You’ll just know he had a good game when you don’t hear his name.

This ^, I think everyone who believes that he should have instantly been able to revert back to where he played as a Rookie, needs to temper their expectations, + it's Pre-Season.
I think he's an okay ( not Sherman-esque) Corner, expectations around these parts are just a tad bit unrealistic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Safety play is MASSIVELY important on this team imo. Flowers is good, but way too grabby. And Griffin is looking more like a solid #2, but playing the #1 spot.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of angst here about an odd play play where Thielen got behind Griffin. As GA said above Thieln gets behind an awful lot of CBs. If you watch it again Griffin was close to getting to the ball but less than 1/2 a step slow.

I'm sure Pete reviewed the coverage with him after that mistake, and Quill will endeavour not to let it happen again.

We all have immense expectations for this young CB and for sure he needs to work on a few areas of his game, not as concerned as some are here about Griffin.