Griffin

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I do not see a second contract for Shaquill. I think we have seen his ceiling. The year we drafted him, there was such an outstanding group of cornerbacks, and I think we whiffed. Just a guy.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think Griffin is a bang average starter at CB.

To get a 4 year starter in the 3rd is golden.

But yeah, probably not a guy you give a 2nd contract to. Those are the kinds of deals tha have gotten us in trouble over the years.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
If this year doesn't work out (I hate to say it, I doubt it will) I would be curious to see him as a slot guy. He's always going to be toast on deep routes he has terrible ball skills.

Let's not forget he had one of his best games last year against the Vikings but that's when they were daring them to run and playing dime to which their OC was fired for an inability to adjust.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
He was poor last yr. He still doesn't turn his head around. I hope it changes.

McGruff

Reaction score
What exactly does, "Doesnt work out" mean?

What are our expectations for Griffin?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":qyw7jalu said:
He was poor last yr. He still doesn't turn his head around. I hope it changes.

That's the thing I don't really see evidence of corners who don't turn for the ball, figuring it out. They either do or they don't.

We dealt with that with Ken Lucas for years.

What exactly does, "Doesnt work out" mean?

Not be one of the worst rated corners in the NFL

McGruff

Reaction score
So if in his second year at a new position, fully healthy, Griffin becomes say, a middle of the road starter . . . Does that means he worked out?

Fade

Reaction score
Pete's number one rule for corners is to stay on top, and don't get beat deep.

Yet it keeps happening.

I wonder if his brother may have been / and is a distraction for him.

He was so good as a rookie, and then has seemingly gotten worse every week since his bro showed up.

Regardless, if he keeps getting beat deep, he is going to find himself on the bench in the not too distant future.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":yqcr720g said:
Ken Lucas was a much better cornerback than Griffin.

Pretty sure he meant Kelly Jennings. That guy was always in position but never played the ball and couldn't tackle.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":hd7oz2tj said:
Pete's number one rule for corners is to stay on top, and don't get beet deep.

Yet it keeps happening.

He was so good as a rookie, and then has seemingly gotten worse every week since his bro showed up.

Regardless, if he keeps getting beat deep, he is going to find himself on the bench in the not too distant future.

Problem is the guy they "promoted" this week, Akeem King, was even worse.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Akeem King had some decent games down the stretch last year. He made a couple game-saving plays IIRC. I'm thinking against KC, among others. That version of King seemed better than the Shaquill Griffin I saw vs. the Vikings.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The no turn of head always pisses me off by any CB.
How do you defend what you cannot see?
Get rid of those kind every time.

getnasty

Reaction score
Griffin was our best cornerback last night, i'm not saying he is our best corner but he played just fine last night. Akeem King on the other hand looked terrible agaisnt a guy that probably gets cut in Tredwell, sucks because i didnt see that coming but he was real bad.

xray

Reaction score
Griffin is barely a starting CB in this league . Unfortunately good QBs will probably feast on the Hawks secondary this season . IMO

Ruminator

Reaction score
Count me in as one of the disappointeds. It's about the FOOTBALL, Griffin. It's all about the FOOTBALL. Sherman's understanding of this is what made him so good. Griffin's coverage is like a batter in baseball hoping to hit a HR with his eyes closed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":150xgfjs said:
Pete's number one rule for corners is to stay on top, and don't get beat deep.

Yet it keeps happening.

I don't buy into the brother/media distraction with Griffin, I just think it's as simple as he's not a #1.

Lots of DB's can't handle the #1 DB spot, and apparently Griffin's just a decent #2. It's HARD to find a great #1 DB, especially in the modern NFL with spread offenses, dozens of great WR's and all the rules going against the defensive players.

Bottom line though, if Pete wants to continue to play a style of defense where his corners press a large majority of the time, Griffin's GOING to be problematic....and Flower's isn't much better. Good QB's are going to throw at them all day long, as we saw last year too many times. That's not going to change with these two inconsistent DB's.

Pete's defense needs a shutdown CB to take away half the field so he can cheat and slant the defense towards the other side.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Shutdown CBs come at a premium in the NFL.

Pete's issue is that he sticks with a strategy regardless of the pieces he has on hand. To his credit, it works to some extent. We are always at a minimum above average.

But Griffen not being a shutdown corner that plays press well, does not mean he cannot play corner. It means he is not a #1. Or at least an above average #1 in our scheme. He doesn't look terrible to me though, just not exceptional or even above average.

The problem is who you would replace him with. We don't have Sherman anymore. He cannot be a #2 for us, which is what he should be.

So we either have to hope we can get lucky in the draft after a spending a #1 on a good corner (pause to let the laughter subside...), or hope we have a guy in the wings that is at least not tremendously worse. Then we can avoid the 2nd contract on Griffin and save some money.

But there isn't much chance getting another shutdown corner for a few years, so expecting the our corners to produce at a shutdown corner level (or expecting the defense to be what it was) might be the expectation that makes no sense here.

mikeak

Reaction score
He looked great across from Sherman because Sherman could be left alone and all help could be around Griffin's side

With that said Minnesota has really good WRs and can beat you deep (ask a Saints fan if you don't believe me) and it will happen.....

Tre has to clean up the flags and he will be good so it might work out still for them both