Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kinda feel bad for the guy...everyone is waiting for him to turn back into a pumpkin.

Sigh.......Geno was really the only viable option once Wilson was traded. He already knew the offense, so the transition would be easier. Lock, IMO, was never really a serious contender for the job. Pete and John are on "let it ride" mode. They know what Geno is and isn't--if it works out--great! If it doesn't, there's the draft.

That said, we've seen "Genos" all over the league on various teams and seasons. It usually doesn't end well--it's usually a bad play or interception in a big game (playoffs) that usually seals a "Geno's" fate. We can all feel it coming. When you watch a game anticipating the big mistake from the quarterback, it's a harrowing experience.

Honestly, it sucks......

That's how some people roll around here. They'd rather see players and coaches fail to affirm their chicken little narratives rather than root for them to succeed.

You have to remember, with guys like pitt and Fade, it's not even about Geno. It's about hating Pete. So anything that they can latch onto to bash Pete is fair game for them. Geno's just a symptom.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So strange, and it's not even that far fetched. Some people actually seem like they WANT a guy to fail so they can say "I told you so"

At least it seems that way. Or, that it would physically make them ill to say anything good about a player they just don't like, for whatever reason.

If Geno is balling out, I'll absolutely give him props, being wrong is a good thing.........when it means your team is winning.
He's a good guy and a good QB. Just because I don't trust him much of the time, that doesn't mean I want him to fail. That's just silly.
He's a Hawk, I want him to kill it out there.

warden

Reaction score
Before the season started, if I told you that on opening day we would lose both tackles and follow that up with losing a couple more OL in the next few games, that we would still go 5 and 2 dispite not playing well on offense, you all would of taken that in a heartbeat. That is some good stuff. But all you guys want to do is find something to complain about.

Guess what, our offensive line will get better, Geno will get better, these guys will not stop competing. Everybody will continue to work very hard to improve. Come December we will start to peak. Style points mean nothing at this time of the season as long as we are getting some wins

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So strange, and it's not even that far fetched. Some people actually seem like they WANT a guy to fail so they can say "I told you so"

At least it seems that way. Or, that it would physically make them ill to say anything good about a player they just don't like, for whatever reason.

If Geno is balling out, I'll absolutely give him props, being wrong is a good thing.........when it means your team is winning.
He's a good guy and a good QB. Just because I don't trust him much of the time, that doesn't mean I want him to fail. That's just silly.

The weird part is just look around the league, 75% of QB play is mediocre to terrible.

So a bad bridge QB to a rookie who's got less than 50% chance of being anywhere close to how well Geno's playing now? What sense does that make.

Sure, draft a QB. That doesn't mean you get rid of Geno, even at a much higher cap number for the next couple of years.

Not only are these guys a bummer on the forum, but their football logic doesn't even make sense.

WarHawks

Reaction score

This.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The weird part is just look around the league, 75% of QB play is mediocre to terrible.

So a bad bridge QB to a rookie who's got less than 50% chance of being anywhere close to how well Geno's playing now? What sense does that make.

Sure, draft a QB. That doesn't mean you get rid of Geno, even at a much higher cap number for the next couple of years.

Not only are these guys a bummer on the forum, but their football logic doesn't even make sense.
Good point. Overall, QB play seems quite a bit down this year.

warden

Reaction score
Too many make it all about the QB.

Football is the ultimate team game. So much has to be done right to have success. If some of the little things are not done, everything else is off. If one guy blows an assignment or gets beat, the play most likely doesn’t work

I do believe the Seahawks offensive woes are fixable

It has been remarkable that we survived all the injuries on the offensive line but it has had its toll. We do not have a consistent run game. Just too many short gains or losses in the run game. One yard gain on first down, two yard loss on second down brings up third and long. Hard to have any rhythm when you do this. Health on the line would help this

Yes Geno has to play better. He can start with not telegraphing the play every time the primary receiver is Metcalf. But he is closer to getting it right than many here think. He came through in a big way against a very good Browns defense on that last drive. He did. I do believe that drive can be a bit of a turning point for this offense.

I have been watching this game for a long time. Longer than the Seahawks have been in existence. I do believe our offensive struggles are fixable and will be fixed this year. As long as we keep getting wins while we work it out, we will be OK. Instant gratification is really not reality in this game. Yes it happens but most of this game is a long drawn out patient methodical work in progress.

One thing I know for sure is the Seahawks are going to continue to work at thing incredibly hard for the rest of the season

Remember the other team gets paid too. The other team is trying really hard too

Nunya

Reaction score
Please dont sugarcoat this. Geno is bad. Right now he is ranked 27th out of 31 QBs in Turnover worthy throws. Ridder just got benched, Purdy is choking, not sure which Jones, & Minchew are the ones ahead of him.

In intermediate passes he is dead last with 13.5% Turnover Worthy Throws. He led the league last year in Turnover Worthy Throws.

Very strong receiver group. It should be easy for him.
Turnover worthy throws???? WTF is that and when did that become a thing? Some people seem pretty desperate when they need to use stats of what COULD have happened to make their point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Too many make it all about the QB.

Football is the ultimate team game. So much has to be done right to have success. If some of the little things are not done, everything else is off. If one guy blows an assignment or gets beat, the play most likely doesn’t work

I do believe the Seahawks offensive woes are fixable

It has been remarkable that we survived all the injuries on the offensive line but it has had its toll. We do not have a consistent run game. Just too many short gains or losses in the run game. One yard gain on first down, two yard loss on second down brings up third and long. Hard to have any rhythm when you do this. Health on the line would help this

Yes Geno has to play better. He can start with not telegraphing the play every time the primary receiver is Metcalf. But he is closer to getting it right than many here think. He came through in a big way against a very good Browns defense on that last drive. He did. I do believe that drive can be a bit of a turning point for this offense.

I have been watching this game for a long time. Longer than the Seahawks have been in existence. I do believe our offensive struggles are fixable and will be fixed this year. As long as we keep getting wins while we work it out, we will be OK. Instant gratification is really not reality in this game. Yes it happens but most of this game is a long drawn out patient methodical work in progress.

One thing I know for sure is the Seahawks are going to continue to work at thing incredibly hard for the rest of the season

Remember the other team gets paid too. The other team is trying really hard too

Yep.

Very few NFL QB's can overcome and still excel when their O-line and/or run game isn't also clicking. That short list is maybe 3-4 QB's in the NFL.

The rest fall into the Geno category of when their O-line protects and their run game is rolling, he can distribute and make all the throws. Like we've seen in the first series and entire 1st quarter last week.

thegameq

Reaction score
That's how some people roll around here. They'd rather see players and coaches fail to affirm their chicken little narratives rather than root for them to succeed.

You have to remember, with guys like pitt and Fade, it's not even about Geno. It's about hating Pete. So anything that they can latch onto to bash Pete is fair game for them. Geno's just a symptom.
Just to be clear Sarge, I'm not picking a side. I just see the situation for what it is.....

People may want to remember that the hawks weren't exactly lighting it up offensively when they matured into a full blown Super Bowl contender. There were alot of close ugly games during that time. I remember quite a few commentators saying during the games that "this is exactly what Seattle wants, a knife fight in a phone booth".......or something to that extent.

We were never really an offensive juggernaut--save for the occasional blowout of course.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just to be clear Sarge, I'm not picking a side. I just see the situation for what it is.....

People may want to remember that the hawks weren't exactly lighting it up offensively when they matured into a full blown Super Bowl contender. There were alot of close ugly games during that time. I remember quite a few commentators saying during the games that "this is exactly what Seattle wants, a knife fight in a phone booth".......or something to that extent.

We were never really an offensive juggernaut--save for the occasional blowout of course.

Right, and that is the model that Pete and John are trying to mold this team after to hopefully build into another SB contending roster.

Great D, punishing versatile run game and a QB that can manage a game, make some key throws and give you 2-3 come from behind wins a season.

I get that this version isn't with a QB on a rookie contract, which will affect the roster. So that point has validity to it, but the alternative is a cheap bridge QB and draft some mid to late 1st or 3rd/4th round QB and hope he doesn't stink and set this team that's ready to compete for annual playoff berths back a decade?

No thanks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Btw, some perspective on Geno. 5th most pressure QB in the league, but 4th best sack to pressure ratio.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Geno Smith ranks 4th best in the NFL in pressure-to-sack rate (13.7% - min 100 dropbacks) -- a stat that i&#39;ve focused on more and more. Avoiding sacks when pressure comes is a skill and it obviously is important for minimizing drive-killing sacks. And Geno is pressured a lot <a href="https://t.co/LTbrERdcXu">https://t.co/LTbrERdcXu</a></p>&mdash; Danny Kelly (@DannyBKelly) <a href="">November 2, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rcaido

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about 5 picks in the last 3 games.

Avoiding sacks is great but throwing the ball causing a turnover, not great. Geno isn't as lucky as last year, those turnover worthy plays are being caught now. He should be more careful with the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about 5 picks in the last 3 games.

Yep, #1 thing Geno needs to clean up. Especially red zone turnovers. Can't happen.

He struggles with the fine line between letting it rip and throwing it into the 5th row of the stands if no one's open.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That throw to DK in the corner of the end zone was very dangerous, they were in FG range at minimum.

You gotta' know the situation. That's a big problem I have with him lately, and often last year. And I'll get flamed for voicing my opinion, and that's fine.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Man this has turned out to be a long thread.

I'll just add my two cents with the following: I don't hate Geno. At all. He seems like a really good guy and good teammate at this point in his career.

I'm simply concerned that he may be holding the team back. If this team has the talent to really compete this season and he's holding everything back, that's what I don't want to see happen.

I like him based on how he performs lol

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Turnover worthy throws???? WTF is that and when did that become a thing? Some people seem pretty desperate when they need to use stats of what COULD have happened to make their point.
[Boldface emphasis is mine]

To be fair, much of frequentist statistics (the Fisher-Neyman-Pearson stuff most people get in basic statistics classes) does that. If you think about what a p-value is, it involves integrating (or summing) over a region of the sample space that is at least as unfavorable to the null hypothesis as the actual observations were. So any inference coming from p-values depends on observations that theoretically could have been made, but weren't.
And that's not even the worst problem p-values have. Because the inferential cutoffs are fixed, any statistical test involving a p-value can be fooled by a big-enough sample. Yes, despite the intuitive (and correct!) idea that a larger sample should give us better inferences, that just isn't how it works with p-values. And when you consider that most medical research approved and published in your lifetime used p-values as statistical evidence that a given medical treatment was effective (and some of it involved misuse of the statistical tools, including various forms of "p-hacking"), it's pretty horrifying.

ObSmith: I think it makes some sense to talk about lucky and unlucky outcomes. I'd want to see exactly how they're defining turnover-worthy plays, and I'd want to see historical analysis of how likely players with a lot of turnover-worthy plays are to have their turnover rates increase, but if turnover-worthy-play percentage, according to whatever definition is used, turns out to be a decent leading indicator of turnover rates, I think it makes all the sense in the world to talk about it.

Latest posts