Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is a much more accurate recounting of how it actually was here in 2021/2022 at the end stage of the Russ era

I think Russ was playing (in the aggregate) at a Geno Level from mid 2020 through 2021. It just looked different. With a feast and famine nature to the offense (which we’ve seen carry over to Denver.) Much of what made Russ good was still there, clutch-gene plus explosives, but the ability of the offense to sustain down over down was growing weaker and weaker.

The toxic part of the debate formed around a sector of the fanbase that felt Russ was a Patrick Mahomes who’d been wasted by Pete. So anything that wasn’t Russ looking better than he was, was hurled at Pete as if he wanted to lose out of arrogance tied to his philosophy.

Geno has brought stability to the offense on a down to down basis, but without the same clutch gene and noticeable struggles in high leverage situations. Now the debate again focuses on the QB but in the opposite sense. The reason we suck isn’t play design, receiver errors (DK on the 2nd Pick) or our OL absolutely collapsing in the final two series (which is basically what Pete attributed the 4th down to), it’s JUST Geno.

In both cases, there’s and effort to place both QBs in the Elite Tier (Russ) or Bad Tier (Geno), when both probably deserve to be in the “Good” Tier. Not here to say where they sit within that tier, I just think they’re good QBs with really interesting nuances to their games.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Plays like the Seahawks' last one in XLIX?
Plays like on the final drive against the Seahawks last year? CHIZZOKE!
Plays like the Broncos' two final possessions against the Raiders in Vegas last year? It was just 25-23 Raiders at the time of the penultimate Broncos possession.
Plays like in overtime against the Colts last year? I don't think KJ Hamler will agree with you if you say yes.
Plays like on the Broncos' last drive in overtime in L.A. against the Chargers last year?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in TN with a chance to tie, ending in a Wilson interception thrown from the Titans' 25?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in the 4th quarter with the game tied against the Raiders in Denver last year?
Plays like any in the game in which the Panthers (!!!) hammered the Broncos last year, in which the Broncos scored all of three points before garbage time?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in Baltimore last year, down by just a point?
Plays like on the Broncos' final possession in KC last year, down by just three points?
Plays like on the Broncos' final possession against the Raiders in Denver this year, down by just one point with 6:34 remaining?
Plays like the two-point-conversion attempt to tie the game against the Commanders in Denver a few weeks ago?
Plays like on the Broncos' last possession against the Jets in Denver two Sundays ago? @hoxrox helpfully posted video of that triumph in this thread.

And of the ones you'd like to cite, how many wouldn't have needed to be critical late-in-the-game situations if the Seahawks (not the Broncos, because Wilson has never had a moment like that with the Broncos that a Wilson apologist like you would want to cite!) had had a QB who could actually read a defense and play the game called in the first 7/8 of the game, allowing the Seahawks to run out the clock in the second half of the fourth quarter instead of resorting to sandlot ball and prayer?

Lolol. Good lord you went to a lot of work there didnt you? Even when context is dismissed on a lot of it.

Anyways, i'll make it short and easy for you. Even with your seemingly multiple examples I would still take Wilson. Thats how much confidence I have in Geno Smith. Zero.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think the Geno question will be answered by the end of this season. Probably even by the end of the Eagles game. There are a lot of challenging games coming up with Cleveland, Baltimore, LA, SF, Dallas, SF, Philly all in the next 2 months. If Geno and the offense struggle through those games against top teams/defenses, it is likely he isn't the answer. If Geno plays well and the team is competitive in those games, I think he sticks around another year or three.
Good assessment. I'm happy you agree with me.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lolol. Good lord you went to a lot of work there didnt you? Even when context is dismissed on a lot of it.

Anyways, i'll make it short and easy for you. Even with your seemingly multiple examples I would still take Wilson. Thats how much confidence I have in Geno Smith. Zero.
Exactly especially at his contract ever he's a classic backup and you will agree soon enough. We aren't even into the real teams yet and you better admit Arizona, Cleveland and LA are not as bad as expected.

Rat

Reaction score
Nobody is happier that Russ is gone than me, but talking strictly play on the field and not factoring in money and personality, I would EASILY take Russ over Geno now, let alone when Me3 was at his peak.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Nobody is happier that Russ is gone than me, but talking strictly play on the field and not factoring in money and personality, I would EASILY take Russ over Geno now, let alone when Me3 was at his peak.
Gee, I figured most people would have figured that out weeks ago? Geno has played exactly like his entire career for the last 16 or so games but ONE game last year and Detroit this year. There is a reason why most people are exactly in the jobs they are in and Geno's is NFL backup quarterback probably the best gig possible on earth. Don't feel sorry for him he's totally rich for being almost.

knownone

Reaction score
I'll donate $500 to Russell's charity if any of you can make a compelling statistical argument that Russell has been better than Geno over the last three seasons. On paper, they are not even close.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This team is 6-8 in it's last 14 games. I would think QB play could be seriously looked at.
People keep bringing this up but remember that Geno had no run support down the stretch last year. Walker, Dallas and Homer were all injured around the same time last season. That made the offense one-dimensional.

This season, there's been no continuity on the O-line.

Given the right circumstances, I think Geno CAN be good enough. But he's not going to be carrying a team by himself. Very few QB's can.

This "guy" is unicorn. Unless a team a drafting top 5, it's really hard to find that "guy"

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'll donate $500 to Russell's charity if any of you can make a compelling statistical argument that Russell has been better than Geno over the last three seasons. On paper, they are not even close.

Is it a fair comparison when the teams talent isnt the same? Like I said before, I would like to see them matched up together on a neutral setting. Maybe Geno outplays him. Who knows.

keasley45

Reaction score
This team is 6-8 in it's last 14 games. I would think QB play could be seriously looked at.

Would you also care to look at the grade of the o-line during that span? And keep in mind there's a qb behind it that can get it out on time where it needs to go.

Or care to look at where our rushing offense ranked over the last 8 games of the season?

How about where it ranks this year? I think we are 22nd in yards and 28 in attempts.

So in the stretch you mention, for 5 of those games we've been without one or both starting tackles, in one game had 4/5ths of the starting line out, and have been the only team in the league to start 10 different linemen. For the games last year, our o- line wad abysmal over the home stretch.

We inexplicably choose NOT to run the ball when we can, and choose to still wait on long developing pass plays when our line can't block.

Talk to me about those things before we jump straight to Geno.

Is he making mistakes? Yup. Have the pieces around him been hamstrung? Yup.

Fact still remains that over the first half of the season last year when he was on fire, we had a running game that was formidable. We haven't since, either by injury or by choice.

Fact still remains that he's an 80% passer in PA. Logic should tell you that if we run more which we can, and block better, which we can. His play will improve to not just average, but where it was to start last year. Those are things that qbs who win with their IQ and arm need.

BTW, not telling at you at all. Just responded to your post.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People keep bringing this up but remember that Geno had no run support down the stretch last year. Walker, Dallas and Homer were all injured around the same time last season. That made the offense one-dimensional.

This season, there's been no continuity on the O-line.

Given the right circumstances, I think Geno CAN be good enough. But he's not going to be carrying a team by himself. Very few QB's can.

This "guy" is unicorn. Unless a team a drafting top 5, it's really hard to find that "guy"
I'm done with this same crap for a year plus. It's never Geno's fault. All losses are because of everything BUT Geno. Rinse and repeat.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. He is PART of the reason they are 6-8, not THE reason, but part of it. He's the QB, FFS.
Russ USED to be good, he's a shell of what he was, and is NOT our problem anymore. These stupid Geno vs. Russ arguments? Still?
How crappy Russ is right now has NOTHING to do with how average Geno is playing.

knownone

Reaction score
Is it a fair comparison when the teams talent isnt the same? Like I said before, I would like to see them matched up together on a neutral setting. Maybe Geno outplays him. Who knows.
Yes. It's fair. And it's silly to lend credence to impossible scenarios (neutral settings, etc.) instead of concrete facts. Currently, Russ is not in the same stratosphere as Geno. People are complaining about Geno being 6-8 in his last 14, FFS; Russ is 6-17 in his previous 23.

keasley45

Reaction score

Bro. Russ came into our house last season with the best D in the league and an offense that was hailed as superior in every way. He imploded himself and then the team.

Last year, his defense was all world. All he had to do was put up what, 17 points a game or something like that over the majority of the season and they'd have been a playoff team.

This year? I think that's what you call chickens coming home to roost.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes. It's fair. And it's silly to lend credence to impossible scenarios (neutral settings, etc.) instead of concrete facts. Currently, Russ is not in the same stratosphere as Geno. People are complaining about Geno being 6-8 in his last 14, FFS; Russ is 6-17 in his previous 23.
WE....ARE....TALKING....ABOUT.....GENO....NOT....SOMEONE....ELSE

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm done with this same crap for a year plus. It's never Geno's fault. All losses are because of everything BUT Geno. Rinse and repeat.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. He is PART of the reason they are 6-8, not THE reason, but part of it. He's the QB, FFS.
Russ USED to be good, he's a shell of what he was, and is NOT our problem anymore. These stupid Geno vs. Russ arguments? Still?
How crappy Russ is right now has NOTHING to do with how average Geno is playing.
Ya context and circumstances matter though. I'm not saying Geno is without fault. I'm saying he can be good enough given the right circumstances.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The thread about GENO. :unsure:
It's all a matter of OPINION. I don't think he's a QB who can take this team to even the NFC Championship. Just MY opinion, and that's my right.
I don't trust him when the game is on the line. Hope to be very wrong.

Latest posts