Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Geno is better than both Murray and Cousins.
True but that isn't saying much. My largest issue with Geno is that contract because I already knew he was league average and meant to be a bridge quarterback. But like with the safeties the lost their minds with that contract.

The utter mismanagement of the cap is something that isn't discussed nearly enough.

Throwdown

Reaction score
True but that isn't saying much. My largest issue with Geno is that contract because I already knew he was league average and meant to be a bridge quarterback. But like with the safeties the lost their minds with that contract.

The utter mismanagement of the cap is something that isn't discussed nearly enough.

The contract isn’t even bad in comparison to the QB market, what the hell are you even talking about?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
The first series of plays to start the Cinci game were lights out near-perfect.

But then a slow, steady regression, to where the last quarter, it was Geno frozen, deer in headlights, and not getting many plays off.

At the QB position, there can't be a tailing off of energy, quick-responsiveness, decisiveness. Whatever you want to call it.

I hope this trait can be unlearned. Otherwise, it's fatal.

keasley45

Reaction score
He proved a bunch of us wrong last year, let's see if he can do it again. Hopefully he gets rollin' here.

Yup. Kind of hard to place a definitive stamp on who he is and what he can accomplish, given the circumstances this year and last.

One thing is for certain though. His success will largely be determined by how well Shane can script solid plans week iin and week out. Geno isnt Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes or Russell Wilson in his prime where he could just make up a play on the fly. He's more a mobile Rich Gannon type or if you want a modern comp, Jimmy G would be a baseline comp. How much better he can be than him (as with Jimmy) depends on the system and the ability of the OC. Jared Goff would be another comp. He's a guy i think Geno can be pretty well matched to in terms of his processing, arm talent and mobility. Can Goff win a superbowl? i'd say yeah. Absolutely.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think the Geno question will be answered by the end of this season. Probably even by the end of the Eagles game. There are a lot of challenging games coming up with Cleveland, Baltimore, LA, SF, Dallas, SF, Philly all in the next 2 months. If Geno and the offense struggle through those games against top teams/defenses, it is likely he isn't the answer. If Geno plays well and the team is competitive in those games, I think he sticks around another year or three.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
An average or a little above average QB can be very successful with a great defense and a running game. Make it to where he doesn't have to take over the game, keeps the turnovers down, and they def. can win with him. We have seen slightly above average QB's over the years have won huge playoff games and SB's. As long as they had a killer defense and run game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think the Geno question will be answered by the end of this season. Probably even by the end of the Eagles game. There are a lot of challenging games coming up with Cleveland, Baltimore, LA, SF, Dallas, SF, Philly all in the next 2 months. If Geno and the offense struggle through those games against top teams/defenses, it is likely he isn't the answer. If Geno plays well and the team is competitive in those games, I think he sticks around another year or three.
Good points. Before the season, Cleveland looked like one you could chalk up as a win. That is a good football team with the best defense in the league.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Current day Geno is probably the better all around QB (would be interesting who would get the starting nod if they both landed on the same team with neutral terms), but in situations where intangibles like winning a game on a last drive come into play, I would take Wilson. I just have no confidence in Smith getting it done.

Plays like the Seahawks' last one in XLIX?
Plays like on the final drive against the Seahawks last year? CHIZZOKE!
Plays like the Broncos' two final possessions against the Raiders in Vegas last year? It was just 25-23 Raiders at the time of the penultimate Broncos possession.
Plays like in overtime against the Colts last year? I don't think KJ Hamler will agree with you if you say yes.
Plays like on the Broncos' last drive in overtime in L.A. against the Chargers last year?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in TN with a chance to tie, ending in a Wilson interception thrown from the Titans' 25?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in the 4th quarter with the game tied against the Raiders in Denver last year?
Plays like any in the game in which the Panthers (!!!) hammered the Broncos last year, in which the Broncos scored all of three points before garbage time?
Plays like on the Broncos' final drive in Baltimore last year, down by just a point?
Plays like on the Broncos' final possession in KC last year, down by just three points?
Plays like on the Broncos' final possession against the Raiders in Denver this year, down by just one point with 6:34 remaining?
Plays like the two-point-conversion attempt to tie the game against the Commanders in Denver a few weeks ago?
Plays like on the Broncos' last possession against the Jets in Denver two Sundays ago? @hoxrox helpfully posted video of that triumph in this thread.

And of the ones you'd like to cite, how many wouldn't have needed to be critical late-in-the-game situations if the Seahawks (not the Broncos, because Wilson has never had a moment like that with the Broncos that a Wilson apologist like you would want to cite!) had had a QB who could actually read a defense and play the game called in the first 7/8 of the game, allowing the Seahawks to run out the clock in the second half of the fourth quarter instead of resorting to sandlot ball and prayer?

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
If Geno struggles, you can expect PC to make Lock the starter. He’s going to want to see what Lock can do before the season ends.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The back and forth is good stuff. People have their opinions, AND THAT'S OK.
It's the getting all bent out of shape any time someone says something remotely "negative" about Geno. He's an NFL Quarterback, it comes with the position.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ok so you think Geno is NOT the guy. Let's go with that for a moment.

Clearly the D has made the adjustments they need to make. Clearly Hurtt is calling a better game.

What from your perspective do the Hawks need to do to get the Offense going?

Instead of just downing on Geno give a solution. what do the Hawks need to do to make it work?

LTH
I think the offensive line has to play better and a lot of that is just getting healthy which isn't Geno's fault. I really like Waldron but he needs to be better too especially in the red zone and Geno just has to play better. He's probably pressing a little and getting gun shy because of the offensive line shuffling which it's hard to fault him but he needs to adapt and make the plays when they're there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lol top 10 NFL QB? He's just barely top 10 in the NFC.

1. Hurts
2. Purdy
3. Stafford
4. Cousins
5. Murray
6. Prescott
7. Goff
8. Love
9. Geno
10. Mayfield

Is this based on any stats, or just your own personal top 10 list?

I assume the latter because the Vikings are trying to get Cousins to waive his no trade clause, Murray hasn't even played this year and Love has stunk up the joint most starts.

gabel

Reaction score
Bahhajahahaha.

Wilson was put under the microscope more harshly than any player in Seahawks history.

Geno is going to continue to start without question. He needs to play better, simple.
I strongly disagree. Wilson was never rated better than the 9th best quarter in any year he played. He only had 17 300 yard games in Seattle. He threw 4 interception in a conference final and lost a Super bowl. His last year here he was godawful. Yet the over whelming contributors on this board were demanding that Pete Carrol be fired.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I strongly disagree. Wilson was never rated better than the 9th best quarter in any year he played. He only had 17 300 yard games in Seattle. He threw 4 interception in a conference final and lost a Super bowl. His last year here he was godawful. Yet the over whelming contributors on this board were demanding that Pete Carrol be fired.
This is a much more accurate recounting of how it actually was here in 2021/2022 at the end stage of the Russ era

Latest posts