Geno is the worst season opening QB in Seahawks history.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Can you think of another QB who opened the season where 95%+ of the fan base knew it was going to be a rough year because of the QB play?

Can you think of a time where the QB drained the excitement out of the start of the season like this?

At least we felt there was potential with the 90's QBs...this is disheartening. I don't even have season tickets and I want my money back!
What are you? 12? Seriously if you think Geno is the worst starting QB in franchise history you are way too young to even discuss this.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'd like to thank the OP for the laugh and the trip down memory lane. I am guessing that you never had to suffer through Kelly Stouffer. Kitna was also not as good as the current version of Smith. The 2008 version of Hass was not as good as the current version of Smith.

I understand that you believe that Smith has not changed his game since he broke in and was a turnover machine for the Jets. That is your right. However, his turnovers last season was an unfortunate interception when his receiver fell down. The fumble against the Steelers was a future hall of fame player who has the fifth highest forced fumbles in their first five seasons in the history of the stat making a play. It happens.

Stop making sense.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I still believe they can win. They have yet to take one snap of relevant ball. Why would I think otherwise? Why are you so comfortable accepting failure before seeing the season play out? How can you be so certain of failure? What's your payoff in expressing such a pessimistic viewpoint?

How often do teams outplay expectations or underperform them?

Enjoy professional football. If complaining and commiserating with doomsayers and spreaders of vitriol is how you enjoy football then have at it. I don't fully get it, but I understand emotions and fandom are often one and the same.
Predicting failure is the safest way to be right and feel good about yourself. 31 teams will fail. The pessimist of all 31 of those teams will feel vindicated and proudly tell family, friends, and fellow forum goers how they knew all along.
Fans who don't know a sport, work backwards from the outcome and search for the why without the ability to evaluate the process.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That would be me, I advocated to trade Wilson in 2020, and I still think that was a better opportunity to trade him, too bad Pete vetoed that.

You keep saying that, but if the Seahawks had traded Wilson in 2020, they would have had $70M in dead cap just from Wilson's contract. That's well over a third and not far from 40% of the salary cap spent on one player who wouldn't have played for the team.

toffee

Reaction score
You keep saying that, but if the Seahawks had traded Wilson in 2020, they would have had $70M in dead cap just from Wilson's contract. That's well over a third and not far from 40% of the salary cap spent on one player who wouldn't have played for the team.
So? The rebuilding would have started one year earlier and what did Wilson do in that extra year?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Predicting failure is the safest way to be right and feel good about yourself. 31 teams will fail. The pessimist of all 31 of those teams will feel vindicated and proudly tell family, friends, and fellow forum goers how they knew all along.
Fans who don't know a sport, work backwards from the outcome and search for the why without the ability to evaluate the process.
Thats about the truth of it. Lol

sprhawk73

Reaction score
See the post directly above yours for a great answer to your questions in green. I mean seriously, it is literally the post right above yours.
What the hell are you talking about? My point is that PC left us high and dry in the QB department twice now. He let Hass walk and now traded RW. We were incredibly fortunate that RW worked out. Now we are back in the same boat with our only option to find a QB as good or better in the draft. My point is it makes no sense to yank an engine when you don't have a better one to replace it with. Piss poor planning limits options. The best plan is to build that engine before you pull it.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? My point is that PC left us high and dry in the QB department twice now. He let Hass walk and now traded RW. We were incredibly fortunate that RW worked out. Now we are back in the same boat with our only option to find a QB as good or better in the draft. My point is it makes no sense to yank an engine when you don't have a better one to replace it with. Piss poor planning limits options. The best plan is to build that engine before you pull it.
Yoi just need to have some patience and let it play out.

NY Hawk

Reaction score
I don't quite get all the hand wringing about this now. Would the season really look that much rosier if we had the 20-25th best QB instead of the 25-32nd?

The moment we traded Russ our chances at making the playoffs this season plummeted. We had to absorb a bunch of dead cap due to his remaining salary, and our main compensation was draft picks and youth which take a while to adjust to the NFL. Part of the compensation is Denver's first round pick next year which isn't even on our roster yet.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching our young players develop this season due to the potential of it paying off down the road. It would have been disheartening to me if we had done something short-term minded to get another meaningless win or two this year at the expense of our long-term growth.
This is what I'm talking about. Everything you said is on point. If you think this team can make the playoffs you're setting yourself up. It's going to take a minute for the team to get back into the playoffs talk. Let the young guys get their feet wet.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about. Everything you said is on point. If you think this team can make the playoffs you're setting yourself up. It's going to take a minute for the team to get back into the playoffs talk. Let the young guys get their feet wet.
It may or may not take some time to get into the playoff hunt. There is a lot of talent on this team just a couple of things need to happen. The team needs to stay healthy. The rookies need to play well. The D needs to be dominate and the O needs to play clean football no peneltys and such. They get the Run game going really good with Penny its going to make it really hard to defend Lockett and DK. There is a lot of talent on this team they get the pass rush going on D and start getting some turnovers special things are going to happen..

keasley45

Reaction score

He let Hass walk because he threw 12 Tds and 17 ints.

Rule #1 in Fight Club...

Lagartixa

Reaction score
He let Hass walk because he threw 12 Tds and 17 ints.

Rule #1 in Fight Club...
Yeah, it's a little bizarre to me that people think letting Hasselbeck go after 2010 was in any way a bad idea. He had been a little above average in 2007 and pretty bad in 2008-2010. And as @keasley45 suggests here, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns is a huge no-no with Carroll.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Possibly the worst Starting QB who won the job then opened in the Kingdome was in 1992 - Kelly Stouffer who was 15 for 33 for 172 yards, 0 TDs, sacked 6 times in a losing effort hosting the Bengals, who defeated Seattle 21 to 3. Stan Gellbaugh eventually replaced him (two other games by Dan McGwire). There was a direct correlation between the QB quality and the won - loss record - 2 and 14 despite a tremendous defense.
I had such high hopes for McGuire. Bought all his rookie cards. And after he busted I never bought another seahawk rookie card in my life.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Yeah, it's a little bizarre to me that people think letting Hasselbeck go after 2010 was in any way a bad idea. He had been a little above average in 2007 and pretty bad in 2008-2010. And as @keasley45 suggests here, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns is a huge no-no with Carroll.
I would wager that its not exclusive to Pete. Any coach worth their nameplate and parking spot would get any QB THAT TERRIBLE the hell up outta the locker room.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
May I ask why?
(@BASF was replying to @HawkinNY's comment about having such high hopes for McGwire)

I was living in Chicago when Dan McGwire had the season with San Diego State (1990) that got him national attention. When the Seahawks took McGwire in the '91 draft, I heard and read that the Seahawks hoped the gigantic McGwire would let them take advantage of a change in the NFL in-the-grasp rule.
I had no good way to follow the Seahawks very closely at that time, but based on the little I could find about them in media available to me at the time (the Chicago Tribune and NFL broadcasts on TV), I figured I'd hope that draft-a-big-QB plan worked out for the Seahawks.

Well, in the words of the Scottish poet,
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
amirite?!

Reflecting on this now, it's kind of funny that the Seahawks' best QB ever by a very wide margin ended up being one the Seahawks got 21 years later because he fell to the third round because most teams considered him too small to succeed in the NFL!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Interesting side bits about Dan McGuire.

I knew next to nothing about him, just that Ken Behring insisted on our taking him in the first round even though he could have been had for a much lower pick. I learned later that Knox wanted Bret Favre in that draft but that Behring overruled him, the disagreement undoubtedly leading to the split between the two men and the hiring of Tom Flores, who arguably was the worst HC in our team's history, the only one even close being Jim Mora.

McGuire was a bust from the start. He was indecisive, seemed to hold onto the ball too long and delivered it too late. He could not improvise like a couple of his predecessors, ie Zorn and Krieg. In his 4 seasons with us, he had all of 5 starts. He was the epitome of a meddlesome owner.

BASF

Reaction score
For those of us who were in California and paid attention to college ball at the time, the pick was a head scratcher. Yes, McGwire cleaned up his interceptions from the previous season, but he was still the same passer from the previous season with all the weaknesses still there. He had never beaten a good team. He had never really elevated his team in any way. Finding out later that it was the owner's choice made a lot more sense.