Geno is the worst season opening QB in Seahawks history.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Can you think of another QB who opened the season where 95%+ of the fan base knew it was going to be a rough year because of the QB play?

Can you think of a time where the QB drained the excitement out of the start of the season like this?

At least we felt there was potential with the 90's QBs...this is disheartening. I don't even have season tickets and I want my money back!

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't quite get all the hand wringing about this now. Would the season really look that much rosier if we had the 20-25th best QB instead of the 25-32nd?

The moment we traded Russ our chances at making the playoffs this season plummeted. We had to absorb a bunch of dead cap due to his remaining salary, and our main compensation was draft picks and youth which take a while to adjust to the NFL. Part of the compensation is Denver's first round pick next year which isn't even on our roster yet.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching our young players develop this season due to the potential of it paying off down the road. It would have been disheartening to me if we had done something short-term minded to get another meaningless win or two this year at the expense of our long-term growth.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't quite get all the hand wringing about this now. Would the season really look that much rosier if we had the 20-25th best QB instead of the 25-32nd?

The moment we traded Russ our chances at making the playoffs this season plummeted. We had to absorb a bunch of dead cap due to his remaining salary, and our main compensation was draft picks and youth which take a while to adjust to the NFL. Part of the compensation is Denver's first round pick next year which isn't even on our roster yet.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching our young players develop this season due to the potential of it paying off down the road. It would have been disheartening to me if we had done something short-term minded to get another meaningless win or two this year at the expense of our long-term growth.
Exactly. Thank you.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Plenty of terrible qbs throughout my life as a hawks fan....but Geno is bad. Drew is better. No argument. Drew hasn't been given a fair shake because Pete is a liberal hack. Equity comes before victory in Pete's book. Pete has been putting his liberal agenda ahead of his team for a couple years now. It's made the hawks weak. Pete is soft and so is this team. And don't even get me started on Pete's disgusting display of nepotism. Hiring your stupid kids to coach nfl receivers like DK? Give me a damn break. Pete is absolutely horrible. And it's all because Pete is too worried about his liberal image. That's truth.
Emotional much? Do you need a hug? I'd truly love to hear your story that developed into such vitriol for another human. I'd pray for you if I believed in a god that might help.

Perhaps stick to NASCAR and Show Wrestling.

audioeffects

Reaction score
Possibly the worst Starting QB who won the job then opened in the Kingdome was in 1992 - Kelly Stouffer who was 15 for 33 for 172 yards, 0 TDs, sacked 6 times in a losing effort hosting the Bengals, who defeated Seattle 21 to 3. Stan Gellbaugh eventually replaced him (two other games by Dan McGwire). There was a direct correlation between the QB quality and the won - loss record - 2 and 14 despite a tremendous defense.

W

Welshers

He is absolutely terrible. He is not just the worst starting qb in seahawks history. I would argue geno at his current level will be one of the worst starting qbs in the history of the league. He is outside the top 30 in every single main qb metric btw. They are tanking although they are interested in Jimmy g if he's released.

chrispy

Reaction score
Hass was better that TJack, but Hass was getting worse and PC/JS decided to move toward something different. If the team wins 7 games or 5 or 9 or 1, I'm considerably more interested in the "something different" than the season's record. Maybe Geno surprises. Maybe Lock needs more time and support but starts to improve. Maybe a vet is signed in the first Q of the season. Maybe Lock and Geno are miserable and JS comes up with someone from CFL or stocking groceries in St Louis. Instead of gloom-and-dooming (yes, I'm verbing that) this season because of a "bad" record, I'm pretty excited about watching a mediocre 2021 team change into something different. It starts with Geno in a week, but everything else is a surprise in the making.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Can you think of another QB who opened the season where 95%+ of the fan base knew it was going to be a rough year because of the QB play?

Can you think of a time where the QB drained the excitement out of the start of the season like this?

At least we felt there was potential with the 90's QBs...this is disheartening. I don't even have season tickets and I want my money back!
this is a TRASH post!

Rainger

Reaction score

My God you haven't watched Hawks very long. The list of terrible qb's after Dave Kreig until Hasselbeck is to long to name them all.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
My God you haven't watched Hawks very long. The list of terrible qb's after Dave Kreig until Hasselbeck is to long to name them all.
Been a Hawk fan from BIRTH baby!
Was alive during Zorn's time, but in diapers.

Sure, they sucked hard, I considered Stouffer and crew. But as mentioned in the OP, we thought there was POTENTIAL with the 90's QBs. 95+% of fans know there is zero potential with Geno.

This is why Geno fairly get the worst season opener award.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think this was going to be a rough year regardless of QB play. You could put Tom Brady in his prime on this team and we still probably go 8-8 at best.

At the end of the day, Pete make a pretty decisive decision on the starting QB. Do you think Pete is not trying to make the best decision for winning football games?

And why does Geno not have upside? He's had two years of starting experience, 8-8 and then 3-10. But those were on pretty below average jet teams. He goes 1-2 including an OT loss and doesn't get blown out last year. Geno's a significantly better QB than when was earlier in his career. He knows the game now and knows Pete's system. He might not be winning games, but I don't see him losing games.

toffee

Reaction score
Geno is the worst season opening QB from the mouths of media experts,
Geno is the worst season opening QB in the minds of some 12s,

For toffee, I am giving Geno all the love and encouragement until he fails me. Before that, I am on Geno Smith bandwagon. I am hoping that he could play like how he played in this video 75% of his 2022 snaps, and do not make game costing mistakes in the other 25%.

Amen.

GO GENO.

toffee

Reaction score
OK these three young 12s were ready to say Geno played last few games like Tom Brady:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
1992 - Kelly Stouffer
1996 - Rick Mirer

The Seahawks now have two castaway backup QBs. Unless something magically clicks in Drew Lock's head the position will sink the team regardless of what else happens.

The situation is really bad, but it's not the "worst ever in the NFL bad". It's not even the worst Seahawks situation in the history of the team.

Welcome to the regular NFL. We don't have an awesome QB to watch anymore. Now we get our version of Kevin Kolb and John Skelton "starting" for the Cardinals.

Fade

Reaction score
You think it's bad at QB? It gets much worse. Jodi with an "I" Allen is the worst owner in team history. Had Paul Allen not got the stadium built, the team would be looking to move in the next few years.

She inherited one of the greatest franchises in the NFL (setup wise) and she's running the team into the ground.

The Seahawks are a missed high draft pick at QB away, from being in dire straits for the next decade. 90's Seahawks is just about here. (We may already be there.)