Former Colts GM Ryan Grigson lands with Hawks

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":17mpkc2x said:
[youtube]M-QN-rRbSs0[/youtube]

Grigson comments start at 11:25.

John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.

Wow. Pretty black and white there.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1sgcrjxu said:
Fade":1sgcrjxu said:
[youtube]M-QN-rRbSs0[/youtube]

John Middlekauff brings his unique perspective as a former NFL scout, NFL analyst and radio host.

Wow. Pretty black and white there.

"Do what Belichick does." 30-year-old Devin McCourty has a $12 million cap hit this year. He turns 31 in August. They recently traded for his twin brother, Jason McCourty. Highly unlikely they will dump McCourty, despite his age and salary.

The "blueprint" is not as clear as some will make it out to be.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3ong5rla said:
The outrage over this hire seems a bit excessive. Would anybody get angry if we hired Hue Jackson to be our offensive coordinator? He's been an utter failure as a HC so far. The logic is the same. Some people just do better in lesser roles.

Good point!
As a landlord, I find that former homeowners are some of the best tenants. They understand the gig and have respect for the property and the things it takes to keep a house properly maintained, they pitch in and help, in a quality way, often without having to be asked, and generally don't whine or do things or create issues that are counterproductive to the smooth operation of the property.

Grigson at least understands the GM gig, whether he was ever really any good at it or not, and can contribute, in his limited consultant role, with a reasonably accurate picture of all the things a GM has to deal with. Possibly he can be the dissenting voice that says "No, we shouldn't pick <favorite draft bust goes here>, because <some deficiency that will be exposed in the NFL>" or "No, we shouldn't pick up and pay <Eddie Lacy, Luke Joeckel, Percy Harvin>, because his tank is empty, he's overpriced, he isn't healthy enough to contribute, and <some young underpaid guy he is aware of> would be a far better value." Or even as mentioned elsewhere, the anti-scout--whatever Grigson says--do the opposite.

With his "abrasive" reputation, for sure he won't be so afraid to share what he perceives as "The ugly truth" about a player, his system fit, personal issues, etc. and could be the dissenting voice that snaps Pete and the rest of the braintrust out of GroupThink, where everyone wants to buy in with Pete so much that they overlook showstopper flaws, especially like the Percy Harvin fiasco. If Grigson were a Narcissistic (PD) sociopath, or has a gift for understanding them, (and I'm absolutely NOT saying he is), he would have recognized elements of that in guys like Percy Harvin (IMO, checks many boxes for sociopathic flavor of Borderline PD) and would know how that player would affect the team and locker room. For example, with guys like Brandon Marshall, an acknowledged Borderline PD guy, Grigson might have unique insights. Personally, as an accidental Borderline Whisperer, I think Marshall will be a good fit for a one-year gig here, if he has enough left in the tank.

Basically, Grigson has enough abrasiveness, confidence in speaking out, knowledge, and awareness of "dark side" issues to contribute a point of view that could stop several train wrecks from occurring. Pete's excessive positivity and ability to get others on board has a downside at times, in not properly factoring in dark side issues at times. Howie Roseman's comments suggest that providing dissenting opinions and short-circuiting Groupthink was one of Grigson's key roles when with the Eagles. In that type of role, he should be a contributor here.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":1zgcy235 said:
hawknation2018":1zgcy235 said:
Fade":1zgcy235 said:
A scout who worked with Grigson in Philadelphia said Grigson was the worst scout he had ever been around, and cited that he gave Von Miller a 2nd rd grade. He wasn't surprised that he was a train-wreck as a GM.

He is terrible, stop white knighting & damage controlling people. It is pathetic.

Other than maybe taking the tactic of doing the opposite of whatever he says this is a bad hire.

That's interesting. Do you have a link that might contribute to the conversation?

We are all working with limited information. In general, I don't believe that adding more experience to the front office is a bad thing.

"Without a doubt, the worst scout I have ever worked with".

.....Confidence inspiring stuff there. I agree on the blame to Pete and John for the situation we are in also. Can they dig their way out is the question we all are waiting to see answered now.

Moves like this honestly do not inspire confidence in that, and I don't care if they make him waterboy. Winners find ways to win , and losers find ways to lose.