Former GM Mocks Hendon Hooker to Hawks at #5

Fox0r

Reaction score
I am high AF on Hooker and I think he's a franchise QB, but I did not expect to see something like this. How's this for for a bold prediction?

I'm curious how many would meltdown over this and how many would be on-board.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I take what Tannenbaum says with a grain of salt. There's a reason why he's a talking head now and a former GM.

No knock on Hendon H. He's not a top 5 pick. I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this draft being a sure top 5 pick this year. Each have glaring flaws.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin was projected as a day 2 pick but JS took him at 12. I suspect JS didn't have Irvin ranked that high but also didn't have a trade partner that seemed beneficial. Irvin was JSs highest ranked player at that time, even though he may not have been ranked as #12worthy.

This year, I'm sure there are multiple players JS ranks as draftable at #5, but probably not more than 2 or 3. If those players aren't gone, he'll take one. If they're gone, let's hope he can find a trade partner. That should be possible if the draft falls like the mock above.

Obviously, the pathway to Hooker being a Seahawk at #5 is either A)JS has him pegged as a top 5 player (franchise QB with low risk...better than other QBs currently mocked higher) or
B)JSs preferred picks are gone and he can't find a reasonable trade and Hooker is the BPA on his list.

The Cards, at #3, are currently expected to be the butterfly effect pick, but that's not the case if JS wants Hooker at 5.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle will not compete for the NFC West this year if they pick a QB with the 5th pick.

Any QB.

Seattle needs to address the trenches to be considered a playoff team this year with a capable deep run.

Of course this is just my opinion, though. What do I know.

Jac

Reaction score
Seattle will not compete for the NFC West this year if they pick a QB with the 5th pick.

Any QB.

Seattle needs to address the trenches to be considered a playoff team this year with a capable deep run.

Who are they going to pick at #5 that will make or break a playoff run?

nanomoz

Reaction score

Any QB.

That is quite a decree. They have 5 picks in the top 83. There are plenty of chances to invest up front.

You might want to start getting used to the idea of a QB at 5. The major market talking heads have been overcorrecting for their laughable QB projections last year in a weak QB class.

This is an astonishingly talented crop of QBs at the top, and it coincides with having the highest pick in the Pete/John tenure.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Who are they going to pick at #5 that will make or break a playoff run?
It may not even be the 5th pick in general, Seattle could trade down, but, the Seahawks interior pass rush and interior blocking of Seattle needs to vastly improve if Seattle wants to make a playoff deep run.

Whatever DT/NT/G/C combination Seattle picks up this year will determine how far Seattle goes this year.

Seattle’s biggest weakness is the trenches.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
P
That is quite a decree. They have 5 picks in the top 83. There are plenty of chances to invest up front.

You might want to start getting used to the idea of a QB at 5. The major market talking heads have been overcorrecting for their laughable QB projections last year in a weak QB class.

This is an astonishingly talented crop of QBs at the top, and it coincides with having the highest pick in the Pete/John tenure.
Carroll has been implying that but as far as we know it could be a smoke screen as well to tempt teams to trade with Seattle. Which, honestly, has a precedent, with Seattle consistently trading their picks.

Seattle is not an automatic team to draft QB which is why many here aren’t believing the hype that Seattle needs to pick a QB.

The only QB I really like is Stroud, anyways.

And Stroud will likely be taken 1st overall.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Jac

Reaction score
P

Carroll has been implying that but as far as we know it could be a smoke screen as well to tempt teams to trade with Seattle. Which, honestly, has a precedent, with Seattle consistently trading their picks.

Seattle is not an automatic team to draft QB which is why many here aren’t believing the hype that Seattle needs to pick a QB.

The point being is that this year is a mix of a very good QB class, a very high draft pick, and no slam dunk positional players (maybe Will Anderson?) at the top of the draft. It's a unique confluence of factors that may very well result in a QB selection. They still have their #20 to do their usual Seahawk stuff with.

nanomoz

Reaction score
P

It certainly is not automatic. One more trade in front of us could make the first 4 selctions QBs.

But theres a lot more information than just hype. The Geno and Lock contracts, namely. Also, impending new ownership is something Schneider is aware of, and his contract goes through the 2027 draft.

He is certainly looking beyond 2023.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This doesn't bother me at all. He isn't doing a predictive mock, merely saying what he would do if he was the GM. I think his take is completely wrong but none of us really know. The fun with the draft season is about coming up with your opinion and then looking back on it and seeing what you hit and missed on. He's putting it out there that he thinks Hooker is being hugely underrated and time will tell whether he was right.

The obnoxious part comes when people are overconfident in their opinions and can't recognize how uncertain the process is. I'm on the other end of the spectrum with Hooker and wouldn't draft him, but is it possible that he ends up being the best QB in this class? Of course it is.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I find it interesting that he has the Hawks taking Hendon Hooker with Anthony Richardson still available. I would be fine with Hooker but in the second round, not the first.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'll be shocked if Hooker comes off the board before our pick at #20.

I'm guessing some team will trade up at the end of the 1st round to draft Hooker and have the 5th year option available... could be the Rams moving up from #36 overall. Stafford is edging closer to retirement.