Forget About Drafting Bryce Young

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Did you see the Kentucky-Florida game this weekend? I wasn't impressed with either Levis or Richardson from Florida. Granted, it was the first time that I've seen either and it was just one game, but neither one of them looked like NFL material.
Kentucky’s offensive line is terrible pass blocking. I really think Levis is the real deal

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Put it this way, teams like the Giants, Seahawks, Texans, Falcons already KNOW they don’t have their franchise QB on the roster. They should be looking for a QB.

Bears, Jags, and Jets just drafted their would-be franchise QB and are not going to give up on them after one year, unless their careers make a U-turn this season. Therefore, they might trade down with the Seahawks. Hell, the Giants traded down with the Bears, and they have a crap QB. Don’t assume it’s impossible for the Seahawks.

Some GMs may be delusional about the quality of their young QBs. Looking at QBs in the last 4 drafts before 2021:

2020: 1 QB in top 3 draftees
2019: 1 in top 6
2018: 2 in top 6
2017: 1 in top 9
The conclusion is that a lot of poor teams with poor QBs don’t draft a QB even when they have a top-5 position in the draft. This is another reason why it may be possible for the Seahawks to move up to draft a top-
I think you’re right about those teams except for the Texans. I would gladly take Davis Mills off their hands

Rosco

Reaction score
By comparison, Drew Brees is also 6-0 but weighed 209. So he needs to add a few pounds to take the hits. For me, it’s not a deal killer but is a concern.
That’s almost a 20 lb difference. Young doesn’t have the frame to put on 20-30 lbs.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Rosen was the #1 overall in 2018 and Murray was the #1 overall in 2019.

My point is that it's not a foregone conclusion that just because those teams you referenced already drafted a QB wouldn't preclude them from doing it again if they think they made a mistake and had a chance to get Young, or another of the top prospects. As was proven in Arizona.

So I'm not sure what we're arguing about. Why does it have to be year #2 or 3 of the rookie's deal? If anything, that makes it more likely to happen because the team wants to get their new QB before having to extend their one that's not working out.
I like your second paragraph. All of the good GM’s and coaches admit fault and move on. Sometimes it’s because the owner wants to go in another direction. It’s ok to have conviction the players you choose but you have to be able to admit fault at times. Some GM’s get a pass

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
they are both overrated I think. Young looking terrible vs texas! Maybe that will levis kid I hear is good although I admit i've seen 0 seconds of him playing
There is film from last year , on Wan'Dale Robinson where Levies was his QB....Throws a nice ball..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uPrlPq8UA , I'm also more interested in the Van Dyke kid in Miami.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
That’s almost a 20 lb difference. Young doesn’t have the frame to put on 20-30 lbs.
I am not suggesting that he put on that much. Ten pounds would get him above 200 and that’s enough. Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Len Dawson and other HOF quarterbacks had long careers and all weighed around 200.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I am not suggesting that he put on that much. Ten pounds would get him above 200 and that’s enough. Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Len Dawson and other HOF quarterbacks had long careers and all weighed around 200.
Yeah but D linemen weren't nearly as big or athletic as they are today. Those guys wouldn't have lasted a season in today's NFL. Tarkenton probably wouldn't have been nearly as good of a scrambler vs today's faster defensive players. I remember "The Hogs". Those guys were considered huge. Today, they would get tossed around. I don't know how well Young will do in the NFL but I wouldn't want to take a chance. He plays against NFL-bound talent quite often but not usually against an entire team of NFL talent. His lack of size scares me.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
That’s certainly true, but that’s not the only thing that has changed. Back in the day, Dick Butkus could put a vicious hit on a QB and not get a flag. Now they have changed the rules to protect the QBs. These $100 million QBs are too financially valuable to the NFL not to do everything possible to protect them.

Kyler Murray is being used as an example. He has only missed 3 games in 3 years with injury. That was an ankle injury that could happen to anybody of any weight.

Young will go high in the draft. The GMs aren’t going to worry that much about his size, if he has a big year this season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They all played in a different era. Not many DL were 300+ pds when those guys played. Now 300 pds that's considered undersized these days.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
They all played in a different era. Not many DL were 300+ pds when those guys played. Now 300 pds that's considered undersized these days.
I believe those guys could play today, but no way to prove it one way or the other. As I said above, Kyler Murray has missed only 3 games to injury, and that was an ankle injury, not a 300 lb. guy landing on top of him. There are also new special rules and better equipment to protect quarterbacks.

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
That’s certainly true, but that’s not the only thing that has changed. Back in the day, Dick Butkus could put a vicious hit on a QB and not get a flag. Now they have changed the rules to protect the QBs. These $100 million QBs are too financially valuable to the NFL not to do everything possible to protect them.

Kyler Murray is being used as an example. He has only missed 3 games in 3 years with injury. That was an ankle injury that could happen to anybody of any weight.

Young will go high in the draft. The GMs aren’t going to worry that much about his size, if he has a big year this season.
Size matters. Kyler Murray is Jekyll & Hyde. He starts a season great but sucks the second half of a season. All due to the wear & tear of being hit by LBers & 300 lb linemen.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Size matters. Kyler Murray is Jekyll & Hyde. He starts a season great but sucks the second half of a season. All due to the wear & tear of being hit by LBers & 300 lb linemen.
It could also be because Murray has the mental toughness of a spoiled teenager...but it could be the hits, too. Murray plays a bit reckless at time.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It could also be because Murray has the mental toughness of a spoiled teenager...but it could be the hits, too. Murray plays a bit reckless at time.
I watched Young, Stroud, and Richardson games yesterday. Stroud was great with 367 and 5 TDS, but they were playing a much weaker opponent. Wait for Michigan game. Young looked okay but had a few bad plays. I was not impressed by Richardson in his game. He’s too inaccurate and threw a horrible interception on the goal line. Heck, if the Seahawks want to draft a developmental QB in the 3rd round, I would take Richardson’s opponent in this game — South Florida QB Gerry Bohanon. He’s a better runner than Richardson but also too inaccurate in his passing. Maybe that can be improved with some good coaching.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I watched Young, Stroud, and Richardson games yesterday. Stroud was great with 367 and 5 TDS, but they were playing a much weaker opponent. Wait for Michigan game. Young looked okay but had a few bad plays. I was not impressed by Richardson in his game. He’s too inaccurate and threw a horrible interception on the goal line. Heck, if the Seahawks want to draft a developmental QB in the 3rd round, I would take Richardson’s opponent in this game — South Florida QB Gerry Bohanon. He almost won the game. He’s a better runner than Richardson but also too inaccurate in his passing. He missed a couple wide open receivers, but he’s a competitor. Maybe passing can be improved with some good coaching.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nothing about Young is impressive. He is a goodish QB on a very strong roster. He won't have those advantages in teh NFL and has little to offer otherwise.

Stroud or Richardson haven't carried their teams against better opponents much either.

It isn't that guys cannot be good, but they haven't shown anything. Even flashes.

So far, it looks pretty average.