Forget About Drafting Bryce Young

RiverDog

Reaction score
The list of first round QB busts is long. There are no tests to determine one's mindset for a successful NFL career.

They tried that with the Wonderlic test, and it doesn't work.

All we can do is draft a QB with all the physical attributes and hope for the best.

Not saying QBs shorter than six feet will never play great but in order for them to flourish, coaches have to modify the offense around them.

Might as well, stick to the preferred norm of:

6'4" 220 lbs
Stong arm
Accurate
Mobile (I don't mean running

The other attributes like footwork and reading defenses can be taught.

*The only thing left is reacting quickly to circumstances and leadership....Both can't be taught.
There was a guideline that was created some time ago called the 26-27-60 rule. It would be interesting to go back and test it and see how accurate it is:

If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The list of first round QB busts is long. There are no tests to determine one's mindset for a successful NFL career.

All we can do is draft a QB with all the physical attributes and hope for the best.

Not saying QBs shorter than six feet will never play great but in order for them to flourish, coaches have to modify the offense around them.

6'4" 220 lbs
Stong arm
Accurate

*The only thing left is reacting quickly to circumstances and leadership....Both can't be taught.
The mental aspects of the job are vastly more demanding in the NFL than in college, and we don’t know for sure who’s got it until they arrive and show us. Unlike height, weight, 40-time, etc., it’s not measurable. That’s why drafting a QB is so damn difficult.

This league is full of 6-4, 220 QBs who are not very good at the job. The physical qualities are nice to have, but the mental football IQ is the prerequisite. Young seems to have it — but no guarantee.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Regardless of what Seahawk fans 2,500 miles away from Tuscaloosa think of Bryce Young and are deriving all their opinions off one one game they half ass watched on Saturday morning, he won't be there whenever we pick at like 8 or 9.

He will go 1 or 2.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Every year Ohio State and Alabama produce "can't miss" prospects, and every year, they bomb the first time they face real competition.
I get the argument but it doesn't make sense when every year Alabama and Ohio State are also producing more pro bowlers than any other college.

Alabama and Ohio State are recruiting the best in the country at every position. Of course they don't always hit but it shouldn't be a shock that the QB is more than a beneficiary of the talent around them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton was 6-0, 190 and played 17 years. The NFL record book is full of short QBs like him and Brees who knew how to play the game. You don’t have to just stand in pocket and take hits.
Tarkington lost 3 SB's in a row..His running around was worse than Russ.
He had a couple Tyler's at WR.great D and real good RB's.
There is not too many in the record books..So many short QB's have failed.
A couple who have not does not equate to many.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I want a good game manager who does not need 10-15 yrd shotgun snaps to see wth is going on.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Regardless of what Seahawk fans 2,500 miles away from Tuscaloosa think of Bryce Young and are deriving all their opinions off one one game they half ass watched on Saturday morning, he won't be there whenever we pick at like 8 or 9.

He will go 1 or 2.
It depends. Teams like Jets, Jags, Bears, etc, who already have a first-round QB in his rookie contract are not going to draft another one until we know whether the guy we drafted will develop into franchise QB. They might trade down the pick for an attractive offer, and the Seahawks have the resources to put together a package to move, especially if we’re starting witha top-10 draft position. Bears traded up 9 spots to get Fields. I can see the Seahawks doing it, if the QB they are targeting slips a little on draft day. It’s going to be exciting.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It depends. Teams like Jets, Jags, Bears, etc, who already have a first-round QB in his rookie contract are not going to draft another one until we know whether the guy we drafted will develop into franchise QB. They might trade down the pick for an attractive offer, and the Seahawks have the resources to put together a package to move, especially if we’re starting witha top-10 draft position. Bears traded up 9 spots to get Fields. I can see the Seahawks doing it, if the QB they are targeting slips a little on draft day. It’s going to be exciting.

You just named three bottom feeder teams who's high draft pick QB's on those rookie deals aren't playing well, so like the Cardinals did with Murray wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Young if they think he's a better franchise QB then the one who's not playing well.

You're also saying Schneider and Carrol might do something they've never done in almost 12 years, use most of their draft capital to trade up.

HIGHLY doubtful.

My point is it's laughable that people don't think Young is good off of one game, dude's an absolute stud and unless he suffers a serious injury during this year, will be the #1 or #2 QB taken.

The good news is there's at least 3-4 other great QB prospects. Levis, Stroud, Richardson........all potential Hawk QB's depending on where we draft.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
they are both overrated I think. Young looking terrible vs texas! Maybe that will levis kid I hear is good although I admit i've seen 0 seconds of him playing
All the prospects I've seen so far, seem to be capable of making some outstanding plays, but after viewing ALL those hot prospects, I keep coming back to rewatch Will Levis, he just appears to me that he's the more NFL ready than the others. My 2 cents
Go to u-tube and type in the player's name.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Im a Ky fan. I wholeheartedly agree. His OL is struggling which doesnt help. He has it all. He has to work on not locking in on his receivers.
I do like Tyler Van Dyke as well...
No matter how good a Quarterback they are, not "Looking Off" your Receivers will turn you into a ''Turnover Machine", it's a bad habit that needs to be addressed early on in their careers, as the NFL Defenses are being trained hard on reading the Quarterbacks eyes.
That's one of the things I looked for when reviewing these prospects, and another is how well they perform when under Defensive Swarming.
I think that you're right about his ''locking in on his Receivers" (can be fixed), but other than that I like his upsides better than most of the other Quarterbacks in the 23 Class.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Did you see the Kentucky-Florida game this weekend? I wasn't impressed with either Levis or Richardson from Florida. Granted, it was the first time that I've seen either and it was just one game, but neither one of them looked like NFL material.
No I didn’t. But from what I’ve heard all of the big names struggled.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

6'4" 220 lbs
Stong arm
Accurate

Hmm 'Coaches have to CONSTANTLY "MODIFY" the Offense around them", >ESPECIALLY THE SCRAMBLERS<, you mean like Pete Carroll HAD TO DO for the 'Constantly Improvising' Russell Wilson?
Add to that the seeming inability, or lack of desire to Speed Reading Defenses, because you're so used to scrambling your way out of Hits, Hurries, and Sacks...The problems arise when your youth, agility, & speed starts slowing down.
And I AGREE, it's just another reason why I PREFER the "Norms" that you mention above.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'd pass on Young as he stands now. He doesn't really go through all of his progressions and sometimes I think he has a hard time seeing the middle of the field. The guy has a lot of things he needs to work on, which of course he's only a one year starter. He reminds me a lot of Kyler Murray. Also it's worth noting that his accuracy past 10 yards is suspect. He ranks 121 in passes over 10 yards in the NCAA.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I thought he played with poise and led a winning drive against an underrated Texas team. He can make all of the throws in clutch and that’s what we need. A playmaker to compliment our weapons

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You just named three bottom feeder teams who's high draft pick QB's on those rookie deals aren't playing well, so like the Cardinals did with Murray wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Young if they think he's a better franchise QB then the one who's not playing well.

You're also saying Schneider and Carrol might do something they've never done in almost 12 years, use most of their draft capital to trade up.

HIGHLY doubtful.

My point is it's laughable that people don't think Young is good off of one game, dude's an absolute stud and unless he suffers a serious injury during this year, will be the #1 or #2 QB taken.

The good news is there's at least 3-4 other great QB prospects. Levis, Stroud, Richardson........all potential Hawk QB's depending on where we draft.
Can you remember a team drafting a QB in the first round and then drafting another QB in the first round when the first one just finished the second year of his rookie contract? That’s what the Jags, Jets, and Bears would be doing in 2023. I can’t think of an example of that happening, but maybe it has. If so, please tell. Murray is in his 4th year, not his 2nd. He has a $200 million contract extension.

Seahawks had Wilson for most of those 12 years, so they had no incentive to move up in the first round for a QB. Now they do.

I totally agree that Young’s 6-0 height is not going to prevent him from getting drafted high in first round. As I have been telling people here, the Hall of Fame is full of QBs from all eras who were 6-0 or 6-1.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Hmm 'Coaches have to CONSTANTLY "MODIFY" the Offense around them", >ESPECIALLY THE SCRAMBLERS<, you mean like Pete Carroll HAD TO DO for the 'Constantly Improvising' Russell Wilson?
Add to that the seeming inability, or lack of desire to Speed Reading Defenses, because you're so used to scrambling your way out of Hits, Hurries, and Sacks...The problems arise when your youth, agility, & speed starts slowing down.
And I AGREE, it's just another reason why I PREFER the "Norms" that you mention above.
Is this shtick? Who writes like this? I mean, I know one guy but not gonna mention him here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can you remember a team drafting a QB in the first round and then drafting another QB in the first round when the first one just finished the second year of his rookie contract? That’s what the Jags, Jets, and Bears would be doing in 2023. I can’t think of an example of that happening, but maybe it has. If so, please tell. Murray is in his 4th year, not his 2nd. He has a $200 million contract extension.

Rosen was the #1 overall in 2018 and Murray was the #1 overall in 2019.

My point is that it's not a foregone conclusion that just because those teams you referenced already drafted a QB wouldn't preclude them from doing it again if they think they made a mistake and had a chance to get Young, or another of the top prospects. As was proven in Arizona.

So I'm not sure what we're arguing about. Why does it have to be year #2 or 3 of the rookie's deal? If anything, that makes it more likely to happen because the team wants to get their new QB before having to extend their one that's not working out.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Rosen was the #1 overall in 2018 and Murray was the #1 overall in 2019.

My point is that it's not a foregone conclusion that just because those teams you referenced already drafted a QB wouldn't preclude them from doing it again if they think they made a mistake and had a chance to get Young, or another of the top prospects. As was proven in Arizona.

So I'm not sure what we're arguing about. Why does it have to be year #2 or 3 of the rookie's deal? If anything, that makes it more likely to happen because the team wants to get their new QB before having to extend their one that's not working out.
I forgot Rosen lasted only one year. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are not in that category. I don’t know enough about Jets’ Wilson to have an opinion. A first round QB has to be epic bad to get trashed after one year. Normally, a GM wants to see how the guy develops before pulling the plug on him. Some guys need more time than others to make the transition from college to NFL. We were talking about Drew Brees. He’s an example. He didn’t achieve much his first 3 years.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I forgot Rosen lasted only one year. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are not in that category. I don’t know enough about Jets’ Wilson to have an opinion. A first round QB has to be epic bad to get trashed after one year. Normally, a GM wants to see how the guy develops before pulling the plug on him. Some guys need more time than others to make the transition from college to NFL. We were talking about Drew Brees. He’s an example. He didn’t achieve much his first 3 years.

Again Idk what we're arguing about.

Other than Mac Jones, and even he looks shaky any one of the teams that drafted QB's in the 1st round that might be at the top of the draft next year could take another QB.

Not one rookie QB over the past 5 years has looked amazing enough to pass on one of these top 2-3 prospects.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Put it this way, teams like the Giants, Seahawks, Texans, Falcons already KNOW they don’t have their franchise QB on the roster. They should be looking for a QB.

Bears, Jags, and Jets just drafted their would-be franchise QB and are not going to give up on them after one year, unless their careers make a U-turn this season. Therefore, they might trade down with the Seahawks. Hell, the Giants traded down with the Bears, and they have a crap QB. Don’t assume it’s impossible for the Seahawks.

Some GMs may be delusional about the quality of their young QBs. Looking at QBs in the last 4 drafts before 2021:

2020: 1 QB in top 3 draftees
2019: 1 in top 6
2018: 2 in top 6
2017: 1 in top 9
The conclusion is that a lot of poor teams with poor QBs don’t draft a QB even when they have a top-5 position in the draft. This is another reason why it may be possible for the Seahawks to move up to draft a top-3 QB in 2023.

Last edited: