First Half clock run off

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
What was up with that? If I'm recalling correctly, the question was whether or not Rice caught the ball. After they ruled that it was a catch, they ruled that the overturning of the call would result in a live clock, and made us use a timeout. But.... Didn't Rice roll out of bounds after catching the ball?

What did I miss?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":2j1vhwsx said:
What was up with that? If I'm recalling correctly, the question was whether or not Rice caught the ball. After they ruled that it was a catch, they ruled that the overturning of the call would result in a live clock, and made us use a timeout. But.... Didn't Rice roll out of bounds after catching the ball?

What did I miss?

Yeah, wondered that myself.

The most likely answer, considering what we have seen this year (and tonight with a few more HORRID PI calls) is just piss poor officiating.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Jeez. Stop complaining. I believe the Officiating was allright. There was 2-3 ticky tacky calls. The most I was irritated was the 4th quarter, Lynch ran for 7 yards, and they called timeout, and got the delay of game penalty.

Other than that officiating was allright.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
The cardinals called a timeout after Lynches carry and they didn't reset the play clock in the 4th.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
It was an ugly series for us but at least unlike last week's game we didn't give up a st TD to finish the half.

tdigitee

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":3thu6ajz said:
The cardinals called a timeout after Lynches carry and they didn't reset the play clock in the 4th.

Yeah that was ridiculous - I thought NFLN had their graphics wrong because the play clock was in the single digits and Seattle was still in the huddle. When they threw the flag Wilson was beside himself (as was I)

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3vnokwxv said:

What did I miss?

I have no idea why the runoff occurred...never heard of that rule. And yes he did stick a foot out of bounds before he was touched...don't understand the call at all.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
NFL clock doesn't stop when a play goes out of bounds until the 2 minute warning in the first half, and 5 mins left in the game, I believe. Well, the clock is stopped until the ball is re-set, and then it starts up again. Only in the last minutes of the halves does the clock stop until the snap.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3au7l2k8 said:
NFL clock doesn't stop when a play goes out of bounds until the 2 minute warning in the first half, and 5 mins left in the game, I believe. Well, the clock is stopped until the ball is re-set, and then it starts up again. Only in the last minutes of the halves does the clock stop until the snap.

Yes...but there were about 36 seconds left in the half (I believe)...

The clock shouldn't have been running if he caught the pass because he put his foot out of bounds almost immediately.

Luckily Unger got called for holding which stopped the clock and allowed Hauschka time to kick the field goal.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Ah, I haven't seen the game yet, didn't know when it happened.

In this case, I yet again have no idea why that happened the way it did.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
The 10 second runoff only happens in the last two minutes also. So we were basically penalized (wrongfully) because the officials made two screwups on the same play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Both of the calls in this thread had me scratching my head.

I know that when the offense has a penalty that results in stoppage of play inside the 2 minute mark, that the offense must either burn a timeout or incur a 10 second run-off of the clock, but I've never before seen an official miss a call, have it overturned by replay then call for a 10 second run-off or a timeout.

Then on the delay of game one in the 4th quarter, I kind of relaxed and kicked back on the couch when the timeout was called, next thing I know, I see Wilson looking around and a flag coming out and heard the call "delay of game". I wasn't as po'd about that call because we had the game well in hand by then, but it still had me scratching my head and apparently most other people as well

Cartire

Reaction score
Ten second runoff is only on presnap penalties, not penalties that occur during the play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":2irpzgvy said:
Ten second runoff is only on presnap penalties, not penalties that occur during the play.

That's the thing though, there wasn't a penalty on the play where they did the run off. The clock stopped so the official could review it and overturn the no-catch call. The only reason there was any stoppage was due to an officials error, not a penalty. I'm guessing there may be an obscure rule out there that we never saw enforced before, but until I actually see or hear about this rule, I can only guess that the official screwed up

OP
OP
I

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I think if Rice had been touched down in bounds it kinda would have been the correct call, except the clock should just start running, not incur a 10 second runoff. But Rice clearly rolled out of bounds with the ball, and that would have stopped the clock if it had been ruled a catch on the field.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":ih34y2dj said:
I think if Rice had been touched down in bounds it kinda would have been the correct call, except the clock should just start running, not incur a 10 second runoff. But Rice clearly rolled out of bounds with the ball, and that would have stopped the clock if it had been ruled a catch on the field.

Was just re-watching the game and Rice was touched down before going out of bounds. The defender runs over the top of him, taps his back and then promptly starts signaling the official that the pass was incomplete just in case he doesn't know how to do his job.

OP
OP
I

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Bitter":1f048nns said:
imnKOgnito":1f048nns said:

Was just re-watching the game and Rice was touched down before going out of bounds. The defender runs over the top of him, taps his back and then promptly starts signaling the official that the pass was incomplete just in case he doesn't know how to do his job.

Yeah... saw that when I re-watched, too. Looks like they got it right, though it seems odd that it would be a 10 second run off instead of just starting the clock.

Latest posts