Munich broke the season, right?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think that's when the wheels fell off. The miles. The turf. The superbowl like distractions. The Refs. The Commish in the box giving wonder boy the thumbs up while the refs bent us over - and us the thumbs down.

I actually think it broke the team. It gave us a flat tire. Everyone was pulling together before this stupid game. Remember Lockett: "It's amazing what we can accomplish when we don't care who gets the credit".

Everything after the game has been poor effort, finger pointing, and gimmie the ball kinda stuff. The latest Top Billin (whether you like him or not) is generally a positive piece. BUT, in several marks in the video - and a couple specifically directed at Mr. DK - lack of effort is highlited. Whether it's on the Dline not getting an arm out to try and slow down a runner, or DK example(s) including 'rounding off' and running lazy routes - I think there's just been a collective 'who gives a F' brewing in the team.

Top Billin ain't the only one pointing it out. Irvin himself within the last week or so basically called out the rest of the defense for lack of effort/heart.
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1712624/what-bruce-irvin-strong-words-seahawks-d-getting-at/

“It’s not communication, it’s not anything, it’s just man on man,” Irvin said. “You have to beat your man, get off the block, and make the tackle. That’s what it comes down to – it’s a mentality. I don’t care about no play calls or no nothing. At the end of the day, it’s man on man. You have to whoop your man in front of you and make the tackle. That’s what it comes down to.”

So - without the 18,000th "DK's a diva" thread - my question is: WHAT THE F HAPPENED. How could one game have had such disastrous consequences. 'Cause nothing's been right since then. And it's seeming like it's all mental. Okay, K9 being sidelined last game didn't help obviously - but the problem is not that. Go to about 3:10 mark in top billing episode - "DK doesn't seem right".

The only thing that I can think of is a combination of being shanked at this game, and then a 2 week window to let it sit and fester. They needed to come right back the next week and shake it off.

I could be wrong.

Crizilla

Reaction score
No dude. Whyman and Bob just asked the same thing. Dumb and cheesy excuse. The defense just isn't very good. Coaching or tackling.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It's really good to read that Bruce said that stuff! Just a couple of days ago I was saying that Browner and Earl would be cussin folk out in that locker room if they were playing with these guys.

As for what happened, and when? Who tf knows? But they better figure it out and incinerate the cancer in a hurry. It's one thing to be untalented or poorly coached. But to be lacking in heart, will, and grit? That's all on you.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I think they just lack some serious talent up front and in the LB department. But what do I know.

RiverDog

Reaction score
First off, we didn't travel that many more miles than the Bucs did, and we were there a day ahead of them to help with the time change. I flatly reject that excuse.

I also don't go along with the field excuse. Sure, K9 relies a lot on cutbacks that require solid footing, but those same cutback moves at times leads him into trouble, turning a 3 yard gain into a 5 yard loss. Had the field conditions been the cause of our poor rushing effort, surely we would have quickly rectified it once we got back onto solid footing. But the next game, at home vs. the Raiders, it was even worse. K9 gained all of 26 yards on 14 carries.

What killed us in Munich was our failure to stop the run. Pete ignored the Bucs running game, decided that the larger threat was Tom Brady and their passing attack.

But I do agree that the Munich game represented a turning point. Teams learned out to stop our running game and started getting a feel for how to defend Geno.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Top Billin' spouts a lot of nonsense wrapped in 'hilarious' quips and football 101

seahawks08

Reaction score
Top Billin does spout a lot of nonsense. This team has heart, we just lost our way in Munich and never recovered fully. We played really well against the chiefs. The score doesn’t show that but the defense held the chiefs. I want them to grow from here. They blanketed and covered very well. Our offense could not take advantage but I saw more commitment to establish runs. That’s the only way we can control the flow of the game. Anyone who hasn’t noticed the shift is biased in their thinking on winning and losing stats the last 5 games. The defense has improved a lot. DK not learning how to tippy toe and WRs not named Tyler playing was the difference. Ken Walker learning how to be decisive is a step forward. His tendency to change directions while the blocks are still developing is a tendency he picked up when Cardinals allowed him to run outside. Teams watch and fix that, he needs to be patient and the blocking scheme needs some reps to work.

olyfan63

Reaction score
In Munich, Tampa Bay provided a blueprint for the rest of the league on how to beat the Seahawks by overpowering our light-in-the-pockets, undermanned, DL and LBs in the running game. Run our defense into submission. The rest of the league took notes. Just like the rest of the league figured out Russell Wilson a couple years ago (like five years after the Rams had Wilson figured out).

Our defensive personnel, and their athletic deficiencies and inability to effectively run the schemes our coaches wanted to run (including football IQ problems), was exposed in Munich. It's not a lack of effort. Even the best schemes can't overcome a lack of athletic talent and low football IQ/lack of player alpha dog leadership. (And our schemes are far from the best) On the offensive side, nobody can block Bosa or Maxx Crosby, and our interior line can't move the other team's front 7. Drafting well and bringing in good free agents that can run what Pete & Co. wants to run are the only fix. It's not fixable this season.

P.S. I should mention our DL rotation lack of depth as a serious issue too in getting worn down by opponents. Compare our current DL depth to the 2013-2014 LOB years...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If we look back at the season the team had many opportunities to be actually acceptably good on D, but in each case they blew those opportunities. Each of the losses to teams the Hawks should have beaten especially those NFC-S teams hurt and materially prejudiced their season.

Munich was a critical loss and the confidence of the team has been mostly absent since. That and very little ability to consistently stop the run and prevent long 3rd down conversions. Additionally they still are NOT tackling well.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
Munich was a fake Superbowl. My employer has involvement with the London games and these started off by being attended by the Commissioner and the great and the good of the league. Today it will be one Vice-President if the league can be bothered to send anyone.

The same was with a game that I did attend, where there was all the hype that Green Bay were coming over. It did not do them any good either.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
It was this game, but it just exposed our weakness run D and every team since has followed the blueprint!