Fire Clint Hurtt

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Schneider should have been on the phone with Dan Quinn the second that Quinn was fired from Atlanta.

BASF

Reaction score
I've got news for you, the panthers are in the bottom half of the league in rushing offenses. They're not a "really good rushing team".
In the past seven weeks they have only had two games with under 165 yards rushing. They are a really good rushing team since Matt Rhule was replaced.

Fade

Reaction score
Schneider should have been on the phone with Dan Quinn the second that Quinn was fired from Atlanta.
Heck. They should be on the phone with him right now. Judy could right a terrible wrong, and totally redeem herself.

Fade

Reaction score
Eventually the lack of success has to get to him, no? Going into next year with DK, Lockett, Geno, K9, etc and suffering the same defensive breakdown yet again... He's got to wonder how many more tries he has left with a chance to return to the Owl. Maybe it'l be enough motivation to bring in a stud DC.
Believe me, I've taken a lot of heat on here for ultimately coming to the conclusion that Pete has to go to get the defense fixed.

I'm just proposing an unrealistic alternative to the problem for a change. Only Judy can make that call because Pete isn't going to demote or fire himself.

Those are the only 2 viable options, as carrying on business as usual is too insane to comprehend. Do what you got to do Judy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
For the love of Taima Fade, it's Jody not Judy!

But I wouldn't mind Judge Judy giving the team a passionate halftime speech, or laying into everyone on tell the truth Monday

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Call me on what, saying the Hawks are not as good as against the run with out Harris and woods? Well thats a true statement...yeah the Hawks have given up some yards even with those guys in but they have also shut down the run as well they had thevrun shut done after the first drive in the first half so im not sure what your point really is but ok..
Explain to me when they shut down the run? I'm failing to see it here....

Harris and Woods didn't mean jack sh** against Tampa, LA, and LV. Two of those teams, Tampa and LA were among the worst rushing offenses in the NFL, one of those teams didn't even have a QB that could throw over 30 yards. We have the worst (or second worst) rushing defense in the NFL with or without those players, that isn't even up for debate.

Rainger

Reaction score
This is 1000000000000000000000000% about the coaching. When you see the same shit year after year and the players are the only thing usually different. Its coaching. The fact its been its been a constant downward trend. Thats coaching.

And the fact Pete cannot CANNOT seem to actually coach any players or coaches up tells me he also ISN'T some defensive Guru. Far too many failed "project" players than successful
and what's more annoying? Pete keeps them around and ships off dudes who typically are BETTER. Why!? Or why does he keep hiring subpar coaches. Not Only do we not have anything for a run defense but those stupid fucks if anyone's noticed are lining up damn near 2 yrs OFF the LOS?!!??

Who was the last player Pete has developed successfully?????? lol His "defense" relies on getting Stars MEANT for the positions they're in. Kam SS, Sherm CB, Woolen CB, Earl FS, All dudes PC saw and or played against while at USC, all dudes who were studs and stars at their actual positions they were drafted for. And lets not start on the reclamation projects that seem to fizzle out after a year of a wasted roster spot. And successful ones are typically the ones with JS's hands in them,

like Chenna, but Chenna was good he was just behind someother stud in SD
Yea we get it you hate Pete!

Rainger

Reaction score
Believe me, I've taken a lot of heat on here for ultimately coming to the conclusion that Pete has to go to get the defense fixed.

I'm just proposing an unrealistic alternative to the problem for a change. Only Judy can make that call because Pete isn't going to demote or fire himself.

Those are the only 2 viable options, as carrying on business as usual is too insane to comprehend. Do what you got to do Judy.

BamKam

Reaction score
I really want to know why any of our players can’t get off blocks. Every single NFL game I watch both teams are completely fine getting off them. Yet for some reason our guys almost look like they are purposefully doing it trying to block for the other team.

Fade

Reaction score
For the love of Taima Fade, it's Jody not Judy!

But I wouldn't mind Judge Judy giving the team a passionate halftime speech, or laying into everyone on tell the truth Monday

You think I don't know that? Ha-ha.

Fade

Reaction score
We get it. You love Pete more than seeing the Seahawks win. As he continues to embarrass himself on defense year after year.

You realize without productive QB play bailing Pete out over the last 7 seasons, you're looking at a laughing stock record wise?

Rainger

Reaction score
We get it. You love Pete more than seeing the Seahawks win. As he continues to embarrass himself on defense year after year.

You realize without productive QB play bailing Pete out over the last 7 seasons, you're looking at a laughing stock record wise?
I certainly like Pete and this team a hell of a lot more than I like you!!!!!

cymatica

Reaction score
I really want to know why any of our players can’t get off blocks. Every single NFL game I watch both teams are completely fine getting off them. Yet for some reason our guys almost look like they are purposefully doing it trying to block for the other team.
This 10000%. It looks like they are trying to stay engaged in blocks, from the front 7 to the back end. I don't know why this isn't brought up more often.

cymatica

Reaction score
I certainly like Pete and this team a hell of a lot more than I like you!!!!!
Do you like how the defense is performing? Do you like how they are being coached up to concede 160 rush yards a game? Do you like that they have given opposing players their highest rushing yards in the majority of their games?

Fade

Reaction score
People want a simple answer here, but it is multiple.

Some guys are being asked to anchor so it looks like they are not getting off blocks. When it's the scheme.

Some guys are loafing, and taking plays off. Wagner would help in this area most here. There is a leadership void on the field. Also to, gassed for being on the field too long.

Schematically they have a 2-4 front they use a lot that is allowing them to get double teamed and mauled, or they can immediately get to the 2nd level and get a hat on Brooks and Barton depending. I've never seen LBers have to shed so many blocks to make tackles in my life.
Scheme.

Carolina hammered inside zone all day, but whenever they ran something like counter it looked completely foreign to the defense. They looked lost, like they didn't know what to do. This is the most unprepared defense I have ever seen. When you're not confident with were you need to be, you play slower and are easier to block. Coaching.

Jefferson is legitimately a bad player. But the other guys underperforming in the front 7 points to bad coaching more than talent.

Poona - Shouldn't be this bad. Vet.

Harris - Who missed today, still shouldn't be this bad. Vet.

Woods - Isn't bad against the run. Vet.

Jefferson - He is bad. Vet.

Irvin - Has played well enough all things considered. Vet.

Nwosu - Has been graded as a top 10 guy off the edge, stud. Vet.

Brooks - Renowned for his run def. Vet.

Barton - .NET whipping boy. He isn't as bas as people think. Most of his errors are mental. If coached up, in the right defense he.could be good, but as of now, bad. Vet in a contract year.

Mone - who they paid $12M for some reason has been horribad. Vet.

This is a veteran laden front 7, that could stop the run just fine last year. I think the bulk of their issues lie with scheme, bad DC.

The coaches would fire back with they don't have the players to run it.

And my retort to that would be, why are you square pegging, round holing them? They were stopping the run just fine last year.

Conform your scheme to your players. I used to coach myself. (Not football and a much lower level of course.) Every year we changed our offense and defense schematically to best fit our players. It wasn't about what we liked personally as coaches, but what was best for our players. To maximize what we had.

They are doing this on offense for the most part. There isn't much I can point to.

Defensively they are the polar opposite and it isn't a wonder why they are failing spectacularly. The inability to shed blocks isn't the problem, but a symptom. Again, last year with a lot of these same players they didn't have a problem shedding blocks.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
People want a simple answer here, but it is multiple.

Some guys are being asked to anchor so it looks like they are not getting off blocks. When it's the scheme.

Some guys are loafing, and taking plays off. Wagner would help in this area most here. There is a leadership void on the field. Also to, gassed for being on the field too long.

Schematically they have a 2-4 front they use a lot that is allowing them to get double teamed and mauled, or they can immediately get to the 2nd level and get a hat on Brooks and Barton depending. I've never seen LBers have to shed so many blocks to make tackles in my life.
Scheme.

Carolina hammered inside zone all day, but whenever they ran something like counter it looked completely foreign to the defense. They looked lost, like they didn't know what to do. This is the most unprepared defense I have ever seen. When you're not confident with were you need to be, you play slower and are easier to block. Coaching.

Jefferson is legitimately a bad player. But the other guys underperforming in the front 7 points to bad coaching more than talent.

Poona - Shouldn't be this bad. Vet.

Harris - Who missed today, still shouldn't be this bad. Vet.

Woods - Isn't bad against the run. Vet.

Jefferson - He is bad. Vet.

Irvin - Has played well enough all things considered. Vet.

Nwosu - Has been graded as a top 10 guy off the edge, stud. Vet.

Brooks - Renowned for his run def. Vet.

Barton - .NET whipping boy. He isn't as bas as people think. Most of his errors are mental. If coached up, in the right defense he.could be good, but as of now, bad. Vet in a contract year.

Mone - who they paid $12M for some reason has been horribad. Vet.

This is a veteran laden front 7, that could stop the run just fine last year. I think the bulk of their issues lie with scheme, bad DC.

The coaches would fire back with they don't have the players to run it.

And my retort to that would be, why are you square pegging, round holing them? They were stopping the run just fine last year.

Conform your scheme to your players. I used to coach myself. (Not football and a much lower level of course.) Every year we changed our offense and defense schematically to best fit our players. It wasn't about what we liked personally as coaches, but what was best for our players. To maximize what we had.

They are doing this on offense for the most part. There isn't much I can point to.

Defensively they are the polar opposite and it isn't a wonder why they are failing spectacularly. The inability to shed blocks isn't the problem, but a symptom. Again, last year with a lot of these same players they didn't have a problem shedding blocks.
And The DL... isn't crowding or lining up ON the LOS... they're literally lining up 2-3yards off the ball... which I haven't seen until this year and only Seattle's doing it. They do it all the time but it's there. Every game, each replay I check a good at least 40-50% of the time they're lining up well off the ball almost like conceding the line to the offense making it harder for them to do their jobs.

Reminds of when we had Cable and someone showed our offensive line right after the snap all laying them laying down... and i think it was supposed to be a run play... and all our linemen just dove forward and didn't really block. All the defender's kind of just hopped over them and hit I think Carson/Rawls or Lynch (most likely lynch) for a loss, and this kept happening.

And as you said this is a Vet front 7 ... who did fine previous seasons, and even the players who came from other teams did just fine with their teams. This is a coaching problem, and it starts with the Lowman and that's Hurtt. Then Desai. Except who the hell really knows what Desai does? His defense with the Bears was average to at times above average but never this bad and they were consistent. I don't think we've seen what he can do here or if he's being allowed to do anything. Hurtt is Pete's guy and all we ever see is Hurtt with the sheet and mic. I'd like to see Desai so I can say fire him or not as well.