Fahey breaks down Maxwell

Perfundle

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ha06rk6 said:
First, take a look at the number of plays actually being considered for this article. It isn't very many, 29! plays counted as qualifying for this study, and Maxwell failed in man coverage on 14 of those 29 plays, and his failure rate in man cover got worse as teams got more footage of him.
29 plays only counts the plays against receivers would he covered for at least 4 snaps; near the bottom of the article you can see he had 57 plays total. And among those 29 plays, the order is by descending order of success rate, not chronological.

Maxwell failed on 6 out of nine mancover snaps in the Arizona game.
Huh? He only qualified for 5 plays in the Arizona game.

The touchdown wasn't one of those 6 fails.
Yes it was, and I disagreed with him about it. Perfect coverage that's beaten by a perfect throw and catch is still perfect coverage.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Perfundle":4dpwru04 said:
Scottemojo":4dpwru04 said:
First, take a look at the number of plays actually being considered for this article. It isn't very many, 29! plays counted as qualifying for this study, and Maxwell failed in man coverage on 14 of those 29 plays, and his failure rate in man cover got worse as teams got more footage of him.
29 plays only counts the plays against receivers would he covered for at least 4 snaps; near the bottom of the article you can see he had 57 plays total. And among those 29 plays, the order is by descending order of success rate, not chronological.

Maxwell failed on 6 out of nine mancover snaps in the Arizona game.
Huh? He only qualified for 5 plays in the Arizona game.

The touchdown wasn't one of those 6 fails.
Yes it was, and I disagreed with him about it. Perfect coverage that's beaten by a perfect throw and catch is still perfect coverage.
Sorry, I meant 6 out of 9 on Crabtree, not the Cards.
A coverage success rate in the 50's is still bad.
And you are correct, he listed the coverage on Floyd as a fail, even though the coverage was really good.
I might have to look at all of Maxwell's plays myself now just to double check for myself.

Meeker

Reaction score
He never actually says whether he lists the play as an "in position" or "failed coverage".

There wasn't much to read into from this game, but there was one play that serves as an example for every NFL defensive back.

Playing cornerback in the NFL requires an ego. An ego that sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but whether that ego is masked or celebrated nationally, it must exist. That is because there will be plays at this level where the cornerback makes an incredible play, but the receiver still wins.

Maxwell experienced this in one of the worst possible ways, as Michael Floyd caught a game-winning touchdown over him.

The defensive back's coverage is really, really good on this play. He runs stride for stride with Floyd down the sideline with no safety help or linebacker help. He turns around and locates the football, but he simply can't extend to recover against a perfectly thrown pass from Carson Palmer.

This is the kind of play that can break the spirit of an insecure player.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Meeker":2jzd92oc said:
He never actually says whether he lists the play as an "in position" or "failed coverage".

There wasn't much to read into from this game, but there was one play that serves as an example for every NFL defensive back.

Playing cornerback in the NFL requires an ego. An ego that sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but whether that ego is masked or celebrated nationally, it must exist. That is because there will be plays at this level where the cornerback makes an incredible play, but the receiver still wins.

Maxwell experienced this in one of the worst possible ways, as Michael Floyd caught a game-winning touchdown over him.

The defensive back's coverage is really, really good on this play. He runs stride for stride with Floyd down the sideline with no safety help or linebacker help. He turns around and locates the football, but he simply can't extend to recover against a perfectly thrown pass from Carson Palmer.

Look at the comments section of the link I posted. I specifically asked him about that play right after he posted the article.

Meeker

Reaction score
Perfundle":3t52xwox said:
Meeker":3t52xwox said:

Look at the comments section of the link I posted. I specifically asked him about that play right after he posted the article.

Ah ic, don't usually read the comments.