Extension for Earl?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Eric Berry is getting $19 million in cash this year. I wonder how that will impact next year's franchise tag for safeties.

I'm confused about what part of the salary factors into the equation.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/safety/

Also, does anyone know whether salary is considered total cash received or just cap hit? If it's cap hit, then 120% of Earl's cap hit would be $12.48 million. If so, that would become the franchise tag floor for Earl.

Own The West

Reaction score
I really don't understand all the rage towards Earl Thomas.

Hasn't he played his heart out for this team? He's an all pro safety and people want to ride him out of town because he showed admiration for another team or upset a team mate.

Seriously?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Own The West":kcefm6jh said:

Hasn't he played his heart out for this team? He's an all pro safety and people want to ride him out of town because he showed admiration for another team or upset a team mate.

Seriously?

No rage on my part, I love Earl...............I just don't want to pay him 80M over 5-6 years with 40M+ guaranteed like he wants.

Do you?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2r4duw0f said:
The_Z_Man":2r4duw0f said:
Pick on him about the Dallas BS all you want. That was Earl being a bit of a dork.

But what he said about Wagner is true.

Did anyone watch that game?

The place where Wagz was supposed to be, is where the Rams ran it.

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

He could not get there. He could not defend the run. We had no chance in hell because of that. They could move the ball at will and they blew us the hell out on our own field. You can't let that happen.

I don't know what the coaching staff was thinking, but BW was the worst player on the field that day.... Earl was telling the stone cold truth. He shouldn't have been playing.
Here is the crux of the issue here. It may have been the truth, but Earl Thomas called out Wagner on social media. That is unacceptable, and unprofessional. This is why Wagner got upset, and quite frankly it was a really crappy thing for Earl to do to his teammate. These are the types of things that need to be handled in private --- not the public sphere.

"That was Earl being a bit of a dork" . Is that what it is now? That is Thomas essentially saying, I don't want to be here anymore.

It's really not.

rcaido

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3nar9wlc said:
rcaido":3nar9wlc said:
Spin Doctor":3nar9wlc said:
The_Z_Man":3nar9wlc said:
Pick on him about the Dallas BS all you want. That was Earl being a bit of a dork.

But what he said about Wagner is true.

Did anyone watch that game?

The place where Wagz was supposed to be, is where the Rams ran it.

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

He could not get there. He could not defend the run. We had no chance in hell because of that. They could move the ball at will and they blew us the hell out on our own field. You can't let that happen.

I don't know what the coaching staff was thinking, but BW was the worst player on the field that day.... Earl was telling the stone cold truth. He shouldn't have been playing.
Here is the crux of the issue here. It may have been the truth, but Earl Thomas called out Wagner on social media. That is unacceptable, and unprofessional. This is why Wagner got upset, and quite frankly it was a really crappy thing for Earl to do to his teammate. These are the types of things that need to be handled in private --- not the public sphere.

"That was Earl being a bit of a dork" . Is that what it is now? That is Thomas essentially saying, I don't want to be here anymore. That, with him contemplating retirement kind of speaks volumes of what he thinks about the Seahawks. He is not conducting himself in a professional manor, and while he may be the best safety in the league in the moment, how much is that worth? He is nearing his 30s and his play style is largely predicated on his range. Is it really worth giving this type of player a third contract? Especially under a head coach with Pete Carroll's MO. I, personally don't think he is worth keeping around given his TO like antics last season.

Some may think he is worth keeping -- and given his body of work I can understand that sentiment. When one throws the recent antics and age, the prospect of keeping him becomes a less desirable proposition. I think the FO would agree with this assessment as well given how actively they were trying to move him. I'm just glad that Pete and Schneider didn't ship him away for pocket change. I hope they hold their ground on this issue, either find somebody that is willing to give up a decent pick or tow a hard line with Earl.

Did you watch the video?

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... =cbssports
Yes I did. He shouldn't have said anything about Wagner to the media, end of story, period. Good safety, but at this point I won't be sad to see him go for the right price. The guy has conducted himself in a way not befitting of the team nor himself this season.

Wow seriously, after seeing that video, you really think he was trying to put Wagner on blast? You have other players punching each other in practice, players or coaches yelling at each other. They were able to move on but for some reason, someone who has been loyal to the organization throughout his career, having no past incident while being an all pro ended up saying something he shouldn't have(even though it was true) to another player is unforgivable to fans?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Own The West":1ymnmpdp said:

Seriously?

I'm with you. When he was hurt, all you would hear around here is how opposing teams TD passes or scores wouldnt have happened if Earl was back there, and now nobody seems to care if he's here or not. I dont want to give him a 5 year contract, but i'd be fine with a 2 or 3 year deal.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1igbskp9 said:
jmahon316":1igbskp9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1igbskp9 said:
Hawkfish":1igbskp9 said:
If he plays out his contract, what would be the franchise tag number for him in 2019?

Not sure, but the tags were just released for 2018, and safety is 11.8M.

Which is what I've been saying, Earl already makes over 10M this year, so bumping him up to 12M to franchise him for 2019, and even 2020 isn't going to be a big cap hit.

Which believe me, if he plays well this year? He's getting franchised whether he likes it or not.

I just don't see it happening. PC/JS have had multiple opportunities to franchise tag players during their time and to my knowledge they have never done it before, I doubt they'll do it now. I could be wrong, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

True, but we've never had a player under them that was worthy of being tagged.

Okung was probably the closest player to having that debate.

But like I said, if Earl stays healthy and has an All Pro type year? How can we not franchise him, if for nothing else than to try to trade him next off season again.

Plus our cap space gets a LOT better next year, so there will be plenty of cap room to do it.

Olindo Mare was franchise tagged in 2010.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jesus I wish you guys would quit throwing up interception totals as value of a player, If you were playing basketball and had a choice who you were going to play 1 on 1 would you choose Jordan, Lebron, Elgin Baylor or a freshman in college ?

Then say the other guys suck after you beat the freshman if your fortunate anyway.

Earl doesn't get challenged one on one, he supports, and makes his reads and pick chances, if he isn't nailing the guy. About the only time a QB will challenge him will be in a red zone throw to a taller receiver.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1qboapgc said:
Earl hasn't played a full season in two years, and through those 25 games his INT percentage has dropped from 21% to 16%. According to the draft, he's worth no more than a third round pick, which is likely what we would get in compensation if he walked. And if he holds out the last season of his contract, he will cut his value on the free market in half.

He's making $10M a year now. I wouldn't offer him anything more than like 3yr/21M.

All true. A remarkable comeback from the injury but he's on the downward slide like so many of the Hawks' aging D have been the last couple seasons.

Add to it the apparent interpersonal strain he was part his downside might outweigh the upside. If we can keep him fine. If not fine.

His being here or not certainly won't make or break whatever version of this team we have this season as Pete and crew scramble to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again...

edogg23

Reaction score
The market for safeties has fallen off a cliff in the league. That Eric Berry signing looks downright silly for the chiefs, his cap hit is almost double any other safety in the league right now. Meenwhile, you could pick up Eric Reid for nothing right now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":2qg36spu said:
Jimjones0384":2qg36spu said:
Spin Doctor":2qg36spu said:
rcaido":2qg36spu said:
Yes I did. He shouldn't have said anything about Wagner to the media, end of story, period. Good safety, but at this point I won't be sad to see him go for the right price. The guy has conducted himself in a way not befitting of the team nor himself this season.

I guess that if you are thin skinned, then that would bother you. I say get over it already. The fans and the media just keep dredging this crap up. I mean, c'mon. There are still pages long arguments over crap that happened 4 years ago or more. Whether or not Earl stays, it is past time to put this crap in the rear view, and realize this team is doing exactly what you have all wanted for years. They fired the coaching staff and are rebuilding the roster. Get over it and move on, because all of us in here repeating ourselves for years is doing nothing. That's what this is, years of just repeating ourselves.

Thin skinned? Then 31 ownerships, GM and head coaches are thin skinned as no one is stepping forward to claim our HOF pro bowl FS. Could they be Afraid earl will offend their fan base? May be. Afraid earl will insult the HC, GM, ownership that invested in him? May be. In the end, no one claimed our Earl, even with John’s effort in marketing him. Not even lowly Browns that needs safety. We have to conclude they are all thin skinned. To thin skinned to make a reasonable offer in condition that earl signs long term contract. Darn those 31 thin skin GMs.

In perspective, if a soldier walked across the trench and pimp his service to the opposing general ..... if a corporate officer say a VP publicly walked to a competitor and pimp his service ...... that VP will walk with his personal shit in a box, our solider boy? RIP cause it would be treason. Only on dot net it’s thin skinned :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Toffee, your response is pure bullshit. If Earl was released today, he’d have multiple teams trying to sign him. The reason he hasn’t been traded is due to Seahawks asking price. That’s it. What Earl said has nothing to do with why he’s not traded yet. If you’re comparing this to Sherman’s release, Sherman is coming off injury which may keep him out for awhile. Earl is not and has shown he has recovered from his injury.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
edogg23":2letmhtg said:
The market for safeties has fallen off a cliff in the league. That Eric Berry signing looks downright silly for the chiefs, his cap hit is almost double any other safety in the league right now. Meenwhile, you could pick up Eric Reid for nothing right now.
Eric Reid isn’t that good, that’s why he hasnt been signed yet. He can’t hold ET’s jock talentwise.

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ihgkf8i said:
toffee":3ihgkf8i said:
Jimjones0384":3ihgkf8i said:
Spin Doctor":3ihgkf8i said:

I guess that if you are thin skinned, then that would bother you. I say get over it already. The fans and the media just keep dredging this crap up. I mean, c'mon. There are still pages long arguments over crap that happened 4 years ago or more. Whether or not Earl stays, it is past time to put this crap in the rear view, and realize this team is doing exactly what you have all wanted for years. They fired the coaching staff and are rebuilding the roster. Get over it and move on, because all of us in here repeating ourselves for years is doing nothing. That's what this is, years of just repeating ourselves.

Thin skinned? Then 31 ownerships, GM and head coaches are thin skinned as no one is stepping forward to claim our HOF pro bowl FS. Could they be Afraid earl will offend their fan base? May be. Afraid earl will insult the HC, GM, ownership that invested in him? May be. In the end, no one claimed our Earl, even with John’s effort in marketing him. Not even lowly Browns that needs safety. We have to conclude they are all thin skinned. To thin skinned to make a reasonable offer in condition that earl signs long term contract. Darn those 31 thin skin GMs.

In perspective, if a soldier walked across the trench and pimp his service to the opposing general ..... if a corporate officer say a VP publicly walked to a competitor and pimp his service ...... that VP will walk with his personal shit in a box, our solider boy? RIP cause it would be treason. Only on dot net it’s thin skinned :)

Sorry Toffee, your response is pure bullshit. If Earl was released today, he’d have multiple teams trying to sign him. The reason he hasn’t been traded is due to Seahawks asking price. That’s it. What Earl said has nothing to do with why he’s not traded yet. If you’re comparing this to Sherman’s release, Sherman is coming off injury which may keep him out for awhile. Earl is not and has shown he has recovered from his injury.

Our pro bowl, all pro, future Hall of framer has been on the market for months. NO taker, other than couple of low ballers. As you said He is healthy, in his prime (according to earl, just had a decent season. Yet NO team willing to trade him with a second round pick. No suitors.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":39pbsczz said:
hawkfan68":39pbsczz said:
toffee":39pbsczz said:
Jimjones0384":39pbsczz said:

Our pro bowl, all pro, future Hall of framer has been on the market for months. NO taker, other than couple of low ballers. As you said He is healthy, in his prime (according to earl, just had a decent season. Yet NO team willing to trade him with a second round pick. No suitors.

If he's healthy and productive, there is no reason to even trade him, imo. I'm glad he's still a Seahawk. Trading players for the sake of trading them is what orgs like the Browns and Jets do.

chris98251

Reaction score
The reason nobody is trading is because of our asking price for a one year rental to most clubs, other then Dallas lowballing because he wants to go there.

It's not that there isn't a want or a need.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Talent wise, Earl, is a top 5 Seahawks player of all-time! A first ballot HOF and Seahawks Ring of Honor. I can see why it's really half and half in terms if you let him go or resign him.

I would say, you resign him if you are close to winning another championship, if not, let him go.

But if management wants him to retire as a player that has only played with Seattle his entire career, you resign him, regardless if you are close to winning another ring or not.

IMO, it's not that Earl wants to go, I believe he thought Seattle wouldn't resign him. And I can understand why he thought that.

He went about seeking another option with Jason Garrett in the wrong manner but if you're Thomas you understand Seattle wants to turn a corner and go younger less expensive sooner than later so why not let your possible open services be known??

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I wonder if the earl-haters realize that without him or someone like him, we're a rebuilding team, no chance of making the playoffs. Quit trippin on what guys say at press conferences. Even if the team isn't as good as they were, we make the playoffs we could go all the way. You want to give that up and go into rebuild mode because of something he said someplace?

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ip2fk7l said:
edogg23":1ip2fk7l said:
Eric Reid isn’t that good, that’s why he hasnt been signed yet. He can’t hold ET’s jock talentwise.

I won't argue that he can't hold ETs jock, on that I agree but as for isn't good, I disagree, he's a legit top 10 ss. He is good enough to be playing somewhere for sure if not for his baggage.