Extension for Earl?

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1os23dkr said:
I would still try to trade him if at all possible. If we aren't going to get good value, then I am fine with playing hardball. He wants an extension, or he wants to hold out? Good luck buddy, we hold all of the power here. Given previous tweets, the cowboys locker room fiasco --- and his passive aggressive stance towards a few teammates, I think it is safe to say that he has mentally checked out long ago.

If he wants to hold out, I say let him. When he holds out for long enough, and the league bleeds him dry with penalties he will come running back. We could even drag this out with the franchise tag if he wants to be difficult. The Seahawks, and Pete Carroll need to assert their dominance here. We shouldn't trade him for mere scraps, and we also shouldn't just cave in and give him what he wants if he is being unreasonable.

Earl Thomas can't afford to play a war of attrition with the Seahawks. If we do end up trading him, I sincerely hope that he goes to the Cleveland Browns. Both out of spite, and the prospect of having an advantageous spot in the draft.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc85sis

Reaction score
Earl has always been an emotional guy. He's contemplated retirement due to injury and then realized he didn't actually want to retire. He told Dallas to "come get me" because he thought the Hawks might kick him to the curb, then had to publicly explain that's what he meant.

getnasty

Reaction score
Get it done, having Earl patrol the back end is more important then ever. This defense still has a chance to be really good, I'm not saying that if Earl is gone.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":18k5908k said:
Pick on him about the Dallas BS all you want. That was Earl being a bit of a dork.

But what he said about Wagner is true.

Did anyone watch that game?

The place where Wagz was supposed to be, is where the Rams ran it.

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

He could not get there. He could not defend the run. We had no chance in hell because of that. They could move the ball at will and they blew us the hell out on our own field. You can't let that happen.

I don't know what the coaching staff was thinking, but BW was the worst player on the field that day.... Earl was telling the stone cold truth. He shouldn't have been playing.
Here is the crux of the issue here. It may have been the truth, but Earl Thomas called out Wagner on social media. That is unacceptable, and unprofessional. This is why Wagner got upset, and quite frankly it was a really crappy thing for Earl to do to his teammate. These are the types of things that need to be handled in private --- not the public sphere.

"That was Earl being a bit of a dork" . Is that what it is now? That is Thomas essentially saying, I don't want to be here anymore. That, with him contemplating retirement kind of speaks volumes of what he thinks about the Seahawks. He is not conducting himself in a professional manor, and while he may be the best safety in the league in the moment, how much is that worth? He is nearing his 30s and his play style is largely predicated on his range. Is it really worth giving this type of player a third contract? Especially under a head coach with Pete Carroll's MO. I, personally don't think he is worth keeping around given his TO like antics last season.

Some may think he is worth keeping -- and given his body of work I can understand that sentiment. When one throws the recent antics and age, the prospect of keeping him becomes a less desirable proposition. I think the FO would agree with this assessment as well given how actively they were trying to move him. I'm just glad that Pete and Schneider didn't ship him away for pocket change. I hope they hold their ground on this issue, either find somebody that is willing to give up a decent pick or tow a hard line with Earl.

Atradees

Reaction score
We have to be able to play Jerry Jones. Guy is full of himself. Lets get a first and a third over two years.

rcaido

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3vl0exmm said:
The_Z_Man":3vl0exmm said:
Pick on him about the Dallas BS all you want. That was Earl being a bit of a dork.

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

He could not get there. He could not defend the run. We had no chance in hell because of that. They could move the ball at will and they blew us the hell out on our own field. You can't let that happen.

I don't know what the coaching staff was thinking, but BW was the worst player on the field that day.... Earl was telling the stone cold truth. He shouldn't have been playing.
Here is the crux of the issue here. It may have been the truth, but Earl Thomas called out Wagner on social media. That is unacceptable, and unprofessional. This is why Wagner got upset, and quite frankly it was a really crappy thing for Earl to do to his teammate. These are the types of things that need to be handled in private --- not the public sphere.

"That was Earl being a bit of a dork" . Is that what it is now? That is Thomas essentially saying, I don't want to be here anymore. That, with him contemplating retirement kind of speaks volumes of what he thinks about the Seahawks. He is not conducting himself in a professional manor, and while he may be the best safety in the league in the moment, how much is that worth? He is nearing his 30s and his play style is largely predicated on his range. Is it really worth giving this type of player a third contract? Especially under a head coach with Pete Carroll's MO. I, personally don't think he is worth keeping around given his TO like antics last season.

Some may think he is worth keeping -- and given his body of work I can understand that sentiment. When one throws the recent antics and age, the prospect of keeping him becomes a less desirable proposition. I think the FO would agree with this assessment as well given how actively they were trying to move him. I'm just glad that Pete and Schneider didn't ship him away for pocket change. I hope they hold their ground on this issue, either find somebody that is willing to give up a decent pick or tow a hard line with Earl.

Did you watch the video?

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status ... =cbssports

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":1f2cymrl said:
Spin Doctor":1f2cymrl said:
The_Z_Man":1f2cymrl said:

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

Did you watch the video?

Yes I did. He shouldn't have said anything about Wagner to the media, end of story, period. Good safety, but at this point I won't be sad to see him go for the right price. The guy has conducted himself in a way not befitting of the team nor himself this season.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If he wants out fine but we need to get something for him, the Hawks can't let him walk for nothing.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":s0jsmlkk said:
rcaido":s0jsmlkk said:
Spin Doctor":s0jsmlkk said:
The_Z_Man":s0jsmlkk said:

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

Did you watch the video?

Yes I did. He shouldn't have said anything about Wagner to the media, end of story, period. Good safety, but at this point I won't be sad to see him go for the right price. The guy has conducted himself in a way not befitting of the team nor himself this season.

Earl was asked a question after the Rams debacle and noted that Wagner was playing through injury (which we all know, he heroically rushed back from).

Wagner is the one who had to apologize for overreacting on twitter in the heat of the moment. It was, after all, a simple misunderstanding between teammates that some people refuse to let go.

And why do some people refuse to let it go? Because they are butthurt over the "come get me" comment.

[youtube]moSFlvxnbgk[/youtube]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Earl hasn't played a full season in two years, and through those 25 games his INT percentage has dropped from 21% to 16%. According to the draft, he's worth no more than a third round pick, which is likely what we would get in compensation if he walked. And if he holds out the last season of his contract, he will cut his value on the free market in half.

He's making $10M a year now. I wouldn't offer him anything more than like 3yr/21M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaWolv":6twumiuy said:
If he wants out fine but we need to get something for him, the Hawks can't let him walk for nothing.

We won't, unless Dallas and other teams want to wait two more years until the franchise tag gets cap prohibitive...............or Earl gets a major injury like Richard and we have to cut him.

But then they're getting a two year older injured Earl, albeit for much cheaper.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ds90b2s6 said:
rcaido":ds90b2s6 said:
Spin Doctor":ds90b2s6 said:
The_Z_Man":ds90b2s6 said:

EVERY TIME.

With great success.

Did you watch the video?

I guess that if you are thin skinned, then that would bother you. I say get over it already. The fans and the media just keep dredging this crap up. I mean, c'mon. There are still pages long arguments over crap that happened 4 years ago or more. Whether or not Earl stays, it is past time to put this crap in the rear view, and realize this team is doing exactly what you have all wanted for years. They fired the coaching staff and are rebuilding the roster. Get over it and move on, because all of us in here repeating ourselves for years is doing nothing. That's what this is, years of just repeating ourselves.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't get why some are so incensed by the Earl/Bobby thing. They are grown men, let them handle it. Earl simply told the truth. Some people viscerally hate RW because he's very political and doesn't rock the boat and yet when a player is candid like Earl was, they chastise him? Does anyone dispute that Wagner shouldn't have played? I respect that he gutted it out, but the coaching staff should've taken him out after seeing he clearly wasn't up to it. To whoever implied Earl shared that on social media, he absolutely did not, it was a locker room interview.

Complaining about player personalities is just a waste of brain cells IMO. It's up to the coaches and players to deal with that stuff. Same thing with Cowboy fans bitching about Dez, Giants fans who don't like Odell, Steelers fans with AB. These guys just offend people's sensibilities for one reason or another and are fantastic players who make the games more fun to watch. It's just dumb. We're not talking about the Greg Hardy's and Ray Rice's of the NFL here, who are actual criminals.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
If he plays out his contract, what would be the franchise tag number for him in 2019?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfish":35z8roj5 said:
If he plays out his contract, what would be the franchise tag number for him in 2019?

Not sure, but the tags were just released for 2018, and safety is 11.8M.

Which is what I've been saying, Earl already makes over 10M this year, so bumping him up to 12M to franchise him for 2019, and even 2020 isn't going to be a big cap hit.

Which believe me, if he plays well this year? He's getting franchised whether he likes it or not.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s1tta9t said:
Hawkfish":2s1tta9t said:

Which is what I've been saying, Earl already makes over 10M this year, so bumping him up to 12M to franchise him for 2019, and even 2020 isn't going to be a big cap hit.

Which believe me, if he plays well this year? He's getting franchised whether he likes it or not.

I just don't see it happening. PC/JS have had multiple opportunities to franchise tag players during their time and to my knowledge they have never done it before, I doubt they'll do it now. I could be wrong, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2np3at7w said:

For safeties this year, the non-exclusive franchise tag was $11.27 million or 120% of previous year's salary. The franchise tag is calculated based on the the average of the five highest salaries at the player’s position. Next year's franchise tag amounts won't be officially known until the scouting combine in or around March 2019. Earl's salary is $8.5 million this year. 120% of his salary would be $10.2 million. Next year's franchise tag amount for safeties will probably be higher than that.

Franchise Tag rules:
http://cba.whitfield.football/article-1 ... n-players/

2018 Franchise Tag:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ap-number/

toffee

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":297ri3j8 said:
Spin Doctor":297ri3j8 said:
rcaido":297ri3j8 said:
Spin Doctor":297ri3j8 said:

Did you watch the video?

I guess that if you are thin skinned, then that would bother you. I say get over it already. The fans and the media just keep dredging this crap up. I mean, c'mon. There are still pages long arguments over crap that happened 4 years ago or more. Whether or not Earl stays, it is past time to put this crap in the rear view, and realize this team is doing exactly what you have all wanted for years. They fired the coaching staff and are rebuilding the roster. Get over it and move on, because all of us in here repeating ourselves for years is doing nothing. That's what this is, years of just repeating ourselves.

Thin skinned? Then 31 ownerships, GM and head coaches are thin skinned as no one is stepping forward to claim our HOF pro bowl FS. Could they be Afraid earl will offend their fan base? May be. Afraid earl will insult the HC, GM, ownership that invested in him? May be. In the end, no one claimed our Earl, even with John’s effort in marketing him. Not even lowly Browns that needs safety. We have to conclude they are all thin skinned. To thin skinned to make a reasonable offer in condition that earl signs long term contract. Darn those 31 thin skin GMs.

In perspective, if a soldier walked across the trench and pimp his service to the opposing general ..... if a corporate officer say a VP publicly walked to a competitor and pimp his service ...... that VP will walk with his personal shit in a box, our solider boy? RIP cause it would be treason. Only on dot net it’s thin skinned :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jmahon316":2qt6dum6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2qt6dum6 said:
Hawkfish":2qt6dum6 said:

I just don't see it happening. PC/JS have had multiple opportunities to franchise tag players during their time and to my knowledge they have never done it before, I doubt they'll do it now. I could be wrong, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

True, but we've never had a player under them that was worthy of being tagged.

Okung was probably the closest player to having that debate.

But like I said, if Earl stays healthy and has an All Pro type year? How can we not franchise him, if for nothing else than to try to trade him next off season again.

Plus our cap space gets a LOT better next year, so there will be plenty of cap room to do it.