Eifert TDs not Kam's responsibility

mrt144

Reaction score
So you'll disregard the evidence in front of you and harp on a notion that confirms something you believe axiomatically.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":2tw2jgkn said:
So you'll disregard the evidence in front of you and harp on a notion that confirms something you believe axiomatically.

Do you mean the obvious confusion in the secondary?

Kam not being present when the drills were practiced did not only influence Kam, but every part of the secondary - including Earl and Williams.

Take care you are not dismissing evidence to support a notion you support axiomatically - that Kam had no influence here or that preparation is not that relevant.

I get it, you disagree.

Edit to add:

Earl Thomas with startling admission of CIN loss: "I was playing timid because I wasn't fully prepared" #Seahawks @thenewstribune
— Gregg Bell (@gbellseattle) October 15, 2015

I lay a large part of the responsibility on the secondary not being fully prepared on Kam missing TC plus two weeks. They have been trying to catch up since week 3.

I get that not everyone will agree with that.

mrt144

Reaction score
I disagree with the premise that if Kam had been in camp neither passes would be TDs, open and shut case.

Despite Pete's words, despite how we've seen this happen before with Antonio Gates, despite everything there's more going on than some object lesson on the deleterious effects of hold outs.

Rocket

Reaction score
mrt144":22idf9qw said:
ChiefHawk":22idf9qw said:
Both WERE Kam's fault.

You work through basic communication and assignment issues like this in training camp.

Was Kam in training camp?

Root cause identified.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
Ham hoc???

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":3aqmkmj5 said:
I disagree with the premise that if Kam had been in camp neither passes would be TDs, open and shut case.

Despite Pete's words, despite how we've seen this happen before with Antonio Gates, despite everything there's more going on than some object lesson on the deleterious effects of hold outs.

Understood.

I think lack of preparation led to those TDs, and when one is unprepared, one has to ask "did I do everything to prepare that I could have?". Our starting defensive backfield had only had approximately 12 days of practice together (maybe less) before that game. Why only 12? Kam's holdout. He came back after week two - so four days between the Packers and the Bears, four days between the Bears and the Lions, four days between the Lions and the Bengals (holy crap - that's Lions and Tigers and Bears - oh my!). And I say approximate because of the MNF game and travel times.

30 more practice days were missed.

When our guys are prepared, they get comfortable. When they get comfortable, they start having fun. When they start having fun, opposing offenses begin to cry.

We have outstanding personnel on our roster - so did Cincinnati. The better prepared won.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":3odxd8vv said:
Rocket":3odxd8vv said:
mrt144":3odxd8vv said:
ChiefHawk":3odxd8vv said:
Both WERE Kam's fault.

You work through basic communication and assignment issues like this in training camp.

Was Kam in training camp?

Root cause identified.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
Ham hoc???

With beans, please.

With lots of abalone....abalone....tons of abalone......Sing it brothers....

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think with both of those TDs Kam was the only guy who could of possibly stopped them. Now that doesn't necessarily mean it was officially Kam's assignment, but if it wasn't then that is just very poor defensive scheming and a total break down of our zone defense.

In the first one you see Carey Williams jamming the receiver within the first 5 yards as KJ Wright rotates to the edge of the field for another 1 on 1 match up on the outside. The two receivers on the opposite side of the field are running deep routes which naturally draws Earl Thomas's attention. Thomas does not overreact to the wrong side there just is way too much space to cover to make it to Eifert. Kam is the only guy with a chance at this play the other 2 defenders on his side are actively covering 2 receivers who would otherwise be WIDE OPEN. There is no way this could of been Carey Williams assignment because he was jamming a receiver right at the start of the play.

Upon further review of the 2nd Touchdown I don't think it was Kam's assignment. It was just a brilliant play which totally exposed our Defensive Scheme. The way we play defense just wouldn't work here, it's like their Offensive Coordinator knew EXACTLY how we were going to defend this.

I made an attempt to diagram what happened on the 2nd Touchdown and it really illustrates what a phenomenal play call it was. It may take a few moments to see and process what our defenders actually did compared to what they should of done to most efficiently defend this play, but hopefully it makes sense.

SEAHAWKS_VS_BENGALS_TD_2.jpg

Tokadub

Reaction score
This also reminds me of 2 posts that I made last season about our zone defense getting exposed or just flat out not being effective.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98725&hilit=+zone+defense+dallas
This zone defense is almost as bad as our offense too be honest, maybe worst...

Look at Dallas's first touchdown and tell me this is legit coaching and a great defensive scheme... :?

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1.png

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1b.png

In the first image you can see KJ Wright lined up perfectly to stop their TE Escobar. In the second image you can see KJ Wright just let him run right past him! The image makes it look closer than it really was, if you watch the video KJ just stands there like he's waiting for a fly ball... as if there was ANYONE ELSE THAT HE COULD POSSIBLY GUARD ON THIS PLAY (there wasn't!)? KJ takes like 2 steps back as he gets effortlessly burned and by the time he turns around it's an easy Touchdown as you can see in the image...

What the heck kind of defense is that??? :pukeface:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98058
My Question:

Have teams figured out how to expose our Zone Defense? It seems like we are getting consistently bad match ups where our defenders are switching coverage and getting beat.

Denver did it to us multiple times on the same drive. The Chargers did it to us all game.

And we saw it once again last night as we had Kam Chancellor defending DeSean Jackson on multiple deep passing plays. Shouldn't that never happen?

I'm not an expert at all about defensive formations and schemes which is why I'm posting this because I truly want to hear what people think about this.

Here's a visual example I made with some screenshots:

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1b.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1c.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1d.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1e.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1f.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1g.png

So there it is, to me it appears that our Zone Defense failed to properly read the play, Sherman should of stayed on DeSean Jackson and Chancellor should of took the man Sherman ended up defending. That is my interpretation, but feel free to add your thoughts here.

It's possible Earl Thomas could of covered 1 or maybe even 2 of the 3 receivers that appear to be wide open (I think you can barely see something pink back there), but he had no chance on DeSean Jackson here.

Conclusion:

It seems like with the new rules emphasis on the defensive holding our defense is playing a lot more zone instead of the dominant man to man they did so well last season when they were allowed to be more physical.

This seems like a play that Sherman clearly should of been on DeSean Jackson the whole time but instead was forced to cover the middle of the field.

If I had more time I'm sure I could come up with literally dozens of picture sequences which illustrate this same exact fundamental problem. Our Zone Defense is getting exposed, our guys are confused, out of position, and they have no chance to make the play. Opposing teams offensive coordinators seem to have figured out how to create mismatches for their receivers and giant gaping holes in our coverage.

Not trying to cause everyone to "freak out" but this is the trend I am seeing with our defense and it's the main cause for us giving up 255 passing yards per game, losing to the Chargers, getting horribly burned in a 1 minute drive by Denver, etc. etc.

It seems to me our coaches have some real work to do to correct this zone defense, either our guys aren't reading it right or it simply doesn't work.

The more I watch our Offensive Line it seems like a lot of our worst plays occur when our guys fail to correctly read the play in their zone blocking scheme. This often times leaves the opposing pass rushers to be wide open and making our guys look foolish like they aren't blocking anyone.

Anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm analyzing it the best I can but I don't have any specific knowledge about defensive schemes although I think I can understand it decently if I analyze it.

It seems like we are still having the same issues with our zone defense, we seem to be playing such a fundamental vanilla scheme that just the tiniest little wrinkles by opposing offenses can get our guys totally out of position leaving guys wide open. Luckily most QBs and Offensive Coordinators aren't good enough to expose this but I've seen it a few too many times honestly...