Eifert TDs not Kam's responsibility

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Per Carroll at his press conference today he said he wanted to make it clear that the TDs Eifert scored this weekend were not Kam's mistake. Eifert was apparently not his assignment on those plays. Unfortunately he did not go into any explanation beyond that, and nobody asked any follow up questions. I'd sure like to know whose responsibility that was, because BOTH times Earl Thomas shot him looks as if to say "What the hell are you doing Kam." Earl was obviously really pissed on the second one.

One the first one it kind of looks like Earl is unsure of the play, and I guess on the second one they look to be in zone and Williams was maybe late on the break as Eifert was the only one going upfield? That's as good of a guess as I have, but it sure looks like it should be on Kam?

Thoughts? (FYI, the link below has highlights that include both Eifert TDs in the first two minutes if you'd like to view again for reference).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-be ... highlights

Laloosh

Reaction score
Yeah, I was careful to say "Kam or Earl" because I saw Kam talking to Earl after the first one and Earl seemed to be getting a bit of the what for.

RussB

Reaction score
Even if it wasnt his assignment he can still make a play on the ball.

Hawks46

Reaction score
One of those has to be on Kam. I can't see it any other way with the way that defense was aligned.

If Kam is the one telling the secondary where to align, it's possible Earl was pissed because Kam told him to be in the wrong spot.

Watching those replays, I get pissed that we can't get the ball to Graham that way. Eifert is a good player, but he's not Graham's caliber, yet. On that last play with Williams covering, he makes a great catch against great coverage and Dalton has a good throw. Why can't we do that with Graham ?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I had seen that, but regardless, I was wondering why we were in a cover 3 that deep in the redzone. Some of you may have seen my whole deal about cover 3 concepts, but I'm only a fan of it from about the 15 yard like to the the other 15. Once you get close to the 10, deeper in the red zone, you spacing is such that you don't need to worry about the deep ball as much. Basically a cover 2 variant is best suited there because your in much more confined spaces. If you really want to still with something resembling a cover 3 I'd probably go cover 6 where the strong side corner is playing short and you can sort of roll coverage over the top.

When I first saw it I really thought that was on the DC and nothing has changed my mind about it thus far. Regardless if Earl was caught playing peekaboo on the sideline or if Cary was supposed to pick that man up on the second one.

I don't care.

Shouldn't have been in that coverage. Just go cover 2 and tell your corners that they may have to carry it deep. You don't want to give them a B line up the seam. With cover 3 deep in the RZ, you're essentially wasting a resource trying not to get beat deep. Buuuuuuuuuuuut.....there's only like 20 yards there, bruh.

Cover 3 BASE DEFENSE, but down and distance dictates situations. It's just one of those things dude has to learn.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I will say that the biggest weakness to cover 2 in the RZ is this bidniss right here.

WgvwVD0

RZ1

Those flag patters to the back corner can be deadly there with a well thrown ball. And ironically cover 3 would be suited against that concept. However, as a basis you basically go with the shortest distance rule. Don't give up the quick, direct one. I guess something you could take from that is that there is no unbeatable defensive concept. It just doesn't exist.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":15b6rdu4 said:
Per Carroll at his press conference today he said he wanted to make it clear that the TDs Eifert scored this weekend were not Kam's mistake. Eifert was apparently not his assignment on those plays. Unfortunately he did not go into any explanation beyond that, and nobody asked any follow up questions. I'd sure like to know whose responsibility that was, because BOTH times Earl Thomas shot him looks as if to say "What the hell are you doing Kam." Earl was obviously really pissed on the second one.

One the first one it kind of looks like Earl is unsure of the play, and I guess on the second one they look to be in zone and Williams was maybe late on the break as Eifert was the only one going upfield? That's as good of a guess as I have, but it sure looks like it should be on Kam?

Thoughts? (FYI, the link below has highlights that include both Eifert TDs in the first two minutes if you'd like to view again for reference).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-be ... highlights

Go back and listen to his MONDAY presser. Pete clearly stated it was Carry William's responsibility. You have to listen to the entire Monday presser closely and not just kick back expecting Pete to preface the entire presser with what you want to hear. :mrgreen: :p

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
For me, you can talk football without pretending to know who was at fault for an obvious communication error.

Both of those plays (along with a couple others) were very obviously just that. "Who's fault was it?" are the kind of things you're never going to really know anyway unless someone involved tells you who was at fault. There is no way to look at the play and "just know" who was assigned to whom unless it straight man coverage. Kam clearly thought the man blowing past him on both of those plays was the deep coverage's responsibility, unless you're saying he had an ulterior motive and sabotaged the play ....

Recognizing that there was an error and that it was a communication issue as opposed to a lack of talent or lack of effort issue is what's important to me. Communication issues are 100% fixable.

BASF

Reaction score
We have been dancing around the primary issue on this forum this season. The book is out on our defense. There are ways to attack our defense and the better coached teams know where the holes are and how to exploit them. This has happened to every system throughout the history of sports. Teams are forced to adapt. We are in that season where we have to adapt or our system will go the way of the 46 defense which really only had four or five seasons before the other teams figured out the way to attack them with more success than failure. Our zone spacing for the most part is well known. Who passes the receiver in their zone to the next guy in their zone is known. It is up to the coaching staff now to adapt to the situation. There is also enough tape on us to see how we responded correctly to situations to adapt the offense to exploit the opponents past failures. One thing no one on this forum has mentioned is something that the announcers brought up in the Broncos game last season, teams are now running plays against us that were not run previously by them. Some of you might remember playing the Eagles while Holmgren was our coach and the announcers talking about a touchdown play to Hackett that had just been made that week specifically for the Eagles that worked to perfection. With our guys being very well known as film junkies far more than most teams, it is being exploited. Stuff like that is happening more and more. It doesn't mean the players are worse than they were, just that the league has adapted to our great players.

leto69

Reaction score
On the first TD it's a clear case of Pete protecting his player from scrutiny. IE. Percy is doing great the only reason he wasn't out there at the end of the Dallas game was because he wasn't in the package. (Traded next week) As he refused to go back in for the plays I turns out.

The Second TD was on Cary Williams Coverage deep as Kam went to cover a short zone receiver. However again Pete defends his player saying "He was right there, they just made a great play".

You have to respect the loyalty he shows his players as he lies to the press and fans :)

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Hawks46":3oycwcwz said:
One of those has to be on Kam. I can't see it any other way with the way that defense was aligned.

If Kam is the one telling the secondary where to align, it's possible Earl was pissed because Kam told him to be in the wrong spot.

Watching those replays, I get pissed that we can't get the ball to Graham that way. Eifert is a good player, but he's not Graham's caliber, yet. On that last play with Williams covering, he makes a great catch against great coverage and Dalton has a good throw. Why can't we do that with Graham ?
Your last sentence I share that same thought. Graham is a better baller too.

Either way for the d they tumbled down a hill as a unit the 4th qrt no matter whose fault it is.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Well that's funny cause on the first one kam looked completely lost, completely out of position if eifert WASNT his, and he just stood there and candy stepped around....

mrt144

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":1k4odo50 said:
Both WERE Kam's fault.

You work through basic communication and assignment issues like this in training camp.

Was Kam in training camp?

Root cause identified.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1e2u6zk6 said:
ChiefHawk":1e2u6zk6 said:
Both WERE Kam's fault.

You work through basic communication and assignment issues like this in training camp.

Was Kam in training camp?

Root cause identified.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Preparation is everything for events to run smoothly when stress is applied.

Almost universally I found a poor result under stress was due to lack of preparation.

You cannot control the stressor, you can control your preparation.

You don't see the two as related, fine.

I do.