Charles Cross - review and expectations.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Idk if it rust, or what but i felt he had a rough day but its not like his surrounding cast on the line didnt do him any solid... "shrug"
I have been somewhat concerned with Cross for awhile and prayed that my worries was unnecessary.

rjdriver

Reaction score
He's still in pre-season form for the most part. How much of the LAR game did he play? Like a half or so right? Today was his first full game since last season. I'm hoping to see a lot of improvement as he gets some reps under his belt.

sutz

Reaction score
First full game of the year, coming off injury, facing a premier edge rusher. I give him a bit of a pass and expect improvement over the next couple/few games.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Lucas is the better tackle, honestly.

I hope Cross can develop into a monster like Trent Williams is but, not sure, if he hasn’t already done so, if he can anymore.

Being a monster, is more so, than just being gifted technically, but you gotta have the attitude.

Trent Williams is a beast and possibly the LT mold that all teams want. I hope Cross can ascend to that level in his career.

But, Lucas, is currently, Seattle’s best tackle.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cross just had his best game of the season vs commanders. PFF rated his pass blocking at 76.7, run blocking at 68.4, and overall at 74.5.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cross never had the athletic ceiling of a league-best tackle like Williams. His athletic profile is fairly middling. What he does have is savvy and sick mirroring capabilities. Great recovery too.

He profiles very, very similarly to an early career Duane Brown.

I'm not worried about Cross. He's adequate and he'll get better, especially as he gets stronger which'll be a priority.

FWIW, it took Duane a few years to really put it together.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cross never had the athletic ceiling of a league-best tackle like Williams. His athletic profile is fairly middling. What he does have is savvy and sick mirroring capabilities. Great recovery too.

He profiles very, very similarly to an early career Duane Brown.

I'm not worried about Cross. He's adequate and he'll get better, especially as he gets stronger which'll be a priority.

FWIW, it took Duane a few years to really put it together.

100%, before he was drafted by Schneider, Cross was on most of my mocks and I read that his profile was similar to Duane Brown as both somewhat undersized but quite athletic, and yes it took Brown couple of years to start dominating. Quite sure that you can see more, but to my untrained eyes, Cross seems to need a bit more strength? Even when he stopped the pass rusher, he was pushed a step or so too close to the QB.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I may be a bit too harsh on Cross, PFF's grade for Cross this season:

Cross1

Pass blocking wise, he had two great games, both against the Rams; Two good games, Wash and Raven; an OK game with Bengals, and two poor games, Browns and Zona. The Cleveland game was his worst of the season.

Attachments

• cross1.png
    cross1.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 2

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Cross is fine. He'll continue to play better while he's healing up from turf toe. Cleveland may have been "bad" from PFFs perspective, but he held up extremely well imo, for a second year tackle going against Myles Garret. The best in the biz.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cross is fine. He'll continue to play better while he's healing up from turf toe. Cleveland may have been "bad" from PFFs perspective, but he held up extremely well imo, for a second year tackle going against Myles Garret. The best in the biz.
They graded him low on that Cleveland game due to those 6 pressures including 1 sack, out of 40 pass blocks; that translated into 15%. That said, he did went against the league best DE and that sack came rather late in the game.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’m a little worried with Cross and I’m skeptical he ever becomes a pro bowl level player but I also admit I’m probably being way too harsh is it does take time sometimes especially with left tackles. A couple of scouts I follow just weren’t sold on him coming out so I fully admit I’m biased. He’s not a bust like Ifedi but I worry he’s not going to be really good either.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I’m a little worried with Cross and I’m skeptical he ever becomes a pro bowl level player but I also admit I’m probably being way too harsh is it does take time sometimes especially with left tackles. A couple of scouts I follow just weren’t sold on him coming out so I fully admit I’m biased. He’s not a bust like Ifedi but I worry he’s not going to be really good either.
You and me both! I am happy that he is performing better in recent games

Polk738

Reaction score
I look at it this way, I think right now we have some of the best talent on this OL that we've had in YEARS and believe me we have had some REALLY shitty talent on the OL, like really bad, remember guys like Ifedi and Joekel. Remember the Lions game on Monday night back in 2015 where Russell Wilson was literally running for his life? Cross is a huge upgrade from alot of those guys from the past so I know he'll be fine, we're lucky we got him and not Evan Neal who looks like a HUGE bust by this point.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
When I watched the game, Cross's plays remained not easy on my untrained eyes, mainly due to him being pushed after contact. He seldom stopped the pass rusher after he landed his hands on them, often allowed to be pushed two or three yards towards the QB. That said, he has been pretty good from week 10 onward according to PFF, except that Cowboys' game.

He basically had four bad pass-blocking games: Bengals, Cardinals, Browns when he faced the best pass rusher in the league, Cowboys. He also had two very good games, both against the Rams.

Charles Cross Week 15

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
As is, Cross is ranked #27 amongst tackles, at 71.9. If one would to judge based on his last 6 games, our Cross might be in the top 15.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Week 6-9 were recovery from turf toe. Since then he's been solid other than dealing with Micah Parsons.