Doug Baldwin out for a couple weeks

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
lukerguy":yc9ilhlo said:
I'd like to see Tate work out of the slot with Braylon out wide.

I don't think Tate has the route awareness like Baldwin does, which is imperative for your slot guy. You have to be really good at reading coverages and finding the gaps in zone coverage. That's what made Bobby Engram so lethal for us, he was very cerebral and knew how to get open.

nategreat

Reaction score
Smoke":1ix1n08i said:
Thanks to everyone who made the "I can't believe no one has been injured yet posts!!" Good effing work

1) Baldwin had already missed multiple games this year before those threads were created

2) Superstition is a pre-cursor to chronic cases of pussitis and excuse-making

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I'm personally excited to see Martin get some playtime. He seems like a very reliable 3rd down WR, kind of like a Brandon Stokley.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one that's pissed Doug Baldwin has to play special teams coverage? I know they only have so many players, but seriously why put a small, fragile and IMPORTANT guy like Baldwin in on Punt and Kickoff coverage? Not a fan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RockHawk":25xilv61 said:
Am I the only one that's pissed Doug Baldwin has to play special teams coverage? I know they only have so many players, but seriously why put a small, fragile and IMPORTANT guy like Baldwin in on Punt and Kickoff coverage? Not a fan.
Agree Mark and good point.

This one stings. The position has had issues all year in no small part because Baldwin's playing time has been so restricted due to injuries. Hopefully Martin steps up. Hawks could use it.

iigakusei

Reaction score
RockHawk":tnr1ved6 said:

Earl Thomas plays special teams.

hoxrox

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1x8sy0l1 said:
lukerguy":1x8sy0l1 said:
I'd like to see Tate work out of the slot with Braylon out wide.

I don't think Tate has the route awareness like Baldwin does, which is imperative for your slot guy. You have to be really good at reading coverages and finding the gaps in zone coverage. That's what made Bobby Engram so lethal for us, he was very cerebral and knew how to get open.

Yea Tate's not that type of receiver. We should have kept Butler over Obo. Butler was a small guy much like Engram that could find holes in the defense.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":14elzalz said:
It just might be time to look at bringing Butler back...he never signed with another team.

I just popped in to say this very thing, but saw it was already said. Butler knows the play book, and last I checked he was healthy. He had a long recovery from his injury. He has good speed, he's tough. He's not afraid to go over the middle, and can go out on long routes. Plus he can play ST's. Why not bring him back in for at least a tryout? He's a better option than a lot of guys out there I think.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Considering the fact I think Butler got a bum deal, I'm all for bringing him back in to the fold.

drdiags

Reaction score
If they bring in Butler, then why did they keep Martin? If they keep Martin, they will have to cut a player for Thurmond's return and another for the extra WR. They may do this anyway but to me they need to play Martin.

largenutz

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":26zd017q said:
I'm personally excited to see Martin get some playtime. He seems like a very reliable 3rd down WR, kind of like a Brandon Stokley.
Sounds familiar, guys reliable, works hard to get open,great team player, does the little things right.
Theres only one thing similar in Charly Martin and Brandon Stokley.

canzag

Reaction score
Marrtin or the TEs in the slot over Tate.Also dont think he has the route awareness to play there

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
As sharp as John and Pete have shown themselves to be in the past, to now think that they have not considered bringing back Butler is foolish. I'm sure that they have their reasons. That's not to say that you and I would be satisfied with them.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1dfkq2ip said:
If they bring in Butler, then why did they keep Martin? If they keep Martin, they will have to cut a player for Thurmond's return and another for the extra WR. They may do this anyway but to me they need to play Martin.

Martin was bigger... some coach said he'd have more of an impact on special teams by being bigger so he'd collect more tackles and stop kick returners from breaking them deep. I seriously haven't seen him making a tackle of consequence all year. Seems like Farwell, Robinson, and random guys like Lane make the most of the plays.

Plus Martin has been hurt. His size at receiver came into play in one play, and that was the hail mary, and all he did was get shoved away. I'd rather have Butler's speed over Martin's size. They both have about the same amount of NFL years in experience don't they. It isn't like Martin is some rookie diamond in the rough that is waiting to explode onto the scene like Baldwin did last year. He's in like his 4th or 5th year and just had a better TC than Butler. Butler just seems like a more ideal replacement for Baldwin since he's been a member of the offense for a few years (and has even had some time as a starter).

Largent80

Reaction score
All I know is that someone (s) need to catch the god damn ball when it hits them in the f'n hands.

What the hell is wrong with these guys?

For the love of Gawd, get the ball to Rice, who actually CAN catch it.

drdiags

Reaction score
I understand Shark and Martin came out of nowhere making the squad over Butler. I just don't know what has changed that would make them go back to Butler if they didn't keep him out of camp. His salary wasn't that much, since he was on his first contract. Baldwin was nursing injuries prior to the Cardinals game so it wasn't out of the clear blue that they lost him.

I like Butler and would like to see him back if they were to use him but then I wouldn't understand the cut in the first place. From a fan's perspective, it seems like a sensible move. Maybe they do it. But they would have to cut a WR or cut one of the DBs, which they are about to do anyway when Thurmond's 3-week grace period is up.