Dissapointed. Needed This Game. Going From Here

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
SOME might, not me. I'm loving the ride. Being depressed or expecting the worst is just plain a waste of time.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1jhbx1re said:
Sarlacc83":1jhbx1re said:
I'm pretty sure this post is in vain. Seattle needs 1 more win to clinch the division and 2 more to clinch HFA. It doesn't really change things much at all.

False. Our magic number to clinch the division is now 2. Same for HFA. Basically it's all or nothing now. Even if we beat the Giants next week, we DON'T clinch the division. That would take a Niner loss as well, and that won't happen.

I'd take our position over theirs.

jdblack

Reaction score
Polaris":2rdj4h2e said:
Make no mistake everyone, our Seahawks needed this game, and yes more than the Niners (for reasons I am about to explain) but we didn't play with enough discipline to get it.

Bit of an over-exaggeration in my opinion. The word need is an absolute qualifier, closest synonym in this context is "require". We only need/require games where winning that game is the only path to getting something, HFA in this case. I do agree it was significant, but we still have HFA if we win 2 out of the last 3, so we didn't need/require this game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":tt3gxf81 said:
Essentially we gave back a full game and a half tonight to the Niners. The Niners now own the tiebreak. That means we effectively only have a game and a half lead on the Niners. Too close for comfort and it makes pretty much every game a must win until we DO clinch.

I hate when people use the term "must win" when it doesn't apply.

Next week is NOT a must win. If we lose and the Niners win, we still have a one game lead on them...........AND a better conference record for tie breakers. They lost to both the Saints and Panthers, we beat both.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hzxpccf said:
Polaris":2hzxpccf said:
Essentially we gave back a full game and a half tonight to the Niners. The Niners now own the tiebreak. That means we effectively only have a game and a half lead on the Niners. Too close for comfort and it makes pretty much every game a must win until we DO clinch.

Next week is NOT a must win. If we lose and the Niners win, we still have a one game lead on them...........AND a better conference record for tie breakers. They lost to both the Saints and Panthers, we beat both.

Conference record is irrelevent in this case. If we lose and the Niners win next week, then Seattle's lead is basically gone. That's because the remaining two games are both division games and that means that San Fran would win any tiebreak from division record if they catch Seattle at any point from here on out.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":2cityxi7 said:
Conference record is irrelevent in this case. If we lose and the Niners win next week, then Seattle's lead is basically gone.

It's basically gone, except for the whole thing where it would still be there.

I, for one, hope that our lead is "basically gone" at the end of week 17 too!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":v5ks5q5y said:
Sgt. Largent":v5ks5q5y said:
Polaris":v5ks5q5y said:

Conference record is irrelevent in this case. If we lose and the Niners win next week, then Seattle's lead is basically gone. That's because the remaining two games are both division games and that means that San Fran would win any tiebreak from division record if they catch Seattle at any point from here on out.

Wat.

If we lose and SF wins we're 11-3 and they're 10-4. How is that "basically gone."

Basically gone = must win = You're both wrong.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zawa0cq said:
Polaris":1zawa0cq said:
Sgt. Largent":1zawa0cq said:
Polaris":1zawa0cq said:

Wat.

If we lose and SF wins we're 11-3 and they're 10-4. How is that "basically gone."

Basically gone = must win = You're both wrong.

No we aren't because of the asinine way that Roger hosed us with the scheduling. If Seattle loses next week and San Fran wins, then providing that San Fran continues to win, they will have a one loss division record. Unless Seattle wins both it's remaining games, it will have at least a two loss division record. That means San Fran would either win the division outright or tie and win the division record tiebreak.

That means your lead is basically gone.

sutz

Reaction score
You sure use a lot of "IF" statements and couch them like they are sure things.

There's an old saying about that: If you worry about something that hasn't happened yet, you get to suffer through it twice.

Frankly, I find all the running around with one's hair on fire over nonsense a bit tiring. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Please proceed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":30jeyua4 said:
No we aren't because of the asinine way that Roger hosed us with the scheduling. If Seattle loses next week and San Fran wins, then providing that San Fran continues to win, they will have a one loss division record. Unless Seattle wins both it's remaining games, it will have at least a two loss division record. That means San Fran would either win the division outright or tie and win the division record tiebreak.

What the heck are you talking about?

If we go 2-1 to end the year we're 13-3. If SF wins all three of their remaining games they're 12-4. We win, we win, we win.

Stop saying crap like "basically." Basically means if other stuff happens, I'm dealing in the fact that this was NOT a must win game in SF, and neither is next weeks game in NY.

Here's the facts. All we need to do is win 2 of the last three games and it doesn't matter what SF does.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hlb9aen said:
Polaris":3hlb9aen said:

If we go 2-1 to end the year we're 13-3. If SF wins all three of their remaining games they're 12-4. We win, we win, we win.

Stop saying crap like "basically." Basically means if other stuff happens, I'm dealing in the fact that this was NOT a must win game in SF, and neither is next weeks game in NY.

Here's the facts. All we need to do is win 2 of the last three games and it doesn't matter what SF does.

That wasn't the question you posed. You were posing the hypothetical if we lost against the Giants.

What I was pointing out is if that happened, Seattle's lead is essentially gone. The point is that it doesn't matter for us which are division games and not anymore because of the schedule, we HAVE to win 2/3 because we can't count on a 49ner loss.

jblaze

Reaction score
You knew the doomsayers would come out after this one but the way I had it, we were probably going to lose one vs. NO or SF and here you go. We're still in the drivers seat and 2/3 of our remaining games are at home, we're fine.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Still shows us with a 93% chance of HFA.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":qve1og34 said:
You were posing the hypothetical if we lost against the Giants.

What I was pointing out is if that happened, Seattle's lead is essentially gone.

Essentially...outside of the thing where it would still be there.

My right hand is essentially invisible, but I can still see it for some reason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":2rbdivt4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2rbdivt4 said:
Polaris":2rbdivt4 said:

That wasn't the question you posed. You were posing the hypothetical if we lost against the Giants.

What I was pointing out is if that happened, Seattle's lead is essentially gone. The point is that it doesn't matter for us which are division games and not anymore because of the schedule, we HAVE to win 2/3 because we can't count on a 49ner loss.

But it's not "essentially" gone, it's still one game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Polaris":ba8fb39m said:
loafoftatupu":ba8fb39m said:
Polaris":ba8fb39m said:
San Fran has played one more division game than us. That makes them 4-1 in division right now vs our 3-1. That means that right now San Fran owns the divisional tie break and that supercedes all the other tiebreaks save head to head. The only way San Fran loses that advantage would be for them to lose to Arizona and for use to win both our divisional games in which case we win anyway because of record.

Basically in any scenario that involves a 49ner tie (assuming they win their last three....virtually guaranteed, and we lose 2 of out three), there is no scenario where we win the tiebreak with the 49ners.

That was the price of today's loss.

Holy moly dude... your entire process relies on the Hawks losing 2 of their last 3 games while the Niners and or Saints win out. There is no "price" to today's game.

I don't see you gathering much support for what amounts to a nearly impossible scenario, but let me make it simple for you, look at the seeding each Monday morning from here on out and get back to me in a couple weeks.

No, I am being realistic. I am not whining and saying "woe is me; all is lost" and frankly I dislike the notion that some are trying to present here that I am.

Perhaps I should have said, "Going ON from here". I am not giving up. Far from.

However, if you don't understand how important this game was and how much Seattle really did need to win it.

When you have a chance to step on your rival's throat and SEIZE the division and a first round bye YOU TAKE IT. As it is, we've given San Fran far too great a reprieve in the division and gave up far, far too much of our cushion.

Just the way it is. Now we deal with it....but be honest about it when dealing with it.

PS. Don't patronize to me about seeding. Seattle will look to be in the number one seed up until the moment the Niners tie with us. Then we're the wildcard. Immediately. Need to make sure that does NOT happen and that means we MUST win the next two.

Maybe you don't understand simple math.

It was important to YOU.

You have made some kind of lame, almost Nineristic argument based on events that are not likely to happen. This is a list of fact, not a single shred of it is based on assumption. Not a single line is conditional.

Fact #1 - The Hawks still have a 2 game lead in the division.
Fact #2 - The Hawks only need 2 wins to seal up HFA.
Fact #3 - The Hawks have 2 more home games left.
Fact #3 - The team with the best record is always number 1.

Everyone else can get lost in the jet-wash, because there is no looking back for the Hawks. Niners? GOOD BYE, Saints or Panther? See you in the Clink. The Hawks are an amazing team that lost a single game by 2 points yesterday. A game that many thought they would lose anyways and one that THEY COULD AFFORD TO. Like I said, simple math. In fact the Hawks might be the only team that can afford to lose a game and guess what? They can afford to lose another one too!! wins over the Saints and Panthers do that for us.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lj3pr221 said:
But it's not "essentially" gone, it's still one game.

Sunday Morning, the lead was three and a half games, and we had the opportunity to clinch. Going from 3.5 to (hypothetically) one IMHO qualifies as "essentially" gone.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Let's look at these "facts":

Fact #1 - The Hawks still have a 2 game lead in the division.

We will lose the tiebreak to the 49ners which means we only have a 1.5 game lead in the division. Futhermore with only one division game left and two juice-can teams (vs Seattle facing two divisional foes left), San Fran has the easier remaining schedule.

Fact #2 - The Hawks only need 2 wins to seal up HFA.

With three games to play. That's almost no margin for error.

Fact #3 - The Hawks have 2 more home games left.

Both are divisional games, and the Rams don't fear the clink. See last year if you doubt me on this.

Fact #4 - The team with the best record is always number 1.

No. Seattle and San Fran could be tied for best record, but Seattle would not be number one in that case.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":2ey5iu5m said:
With three games to play. That's almost no margin for error.

No, it's a ONE GAME MARGIN OF ERROR. We need to win 2 of the next 3 games. End of discussion. Move on. Nothing more to see here. Pass Go and collect your $200.

Latest posts