Dissapointed. Needed This Game. Going From Here

sutz

Reaction score
Polaris":6tmjyl49 said:
Smelly McUgly":6tmjyl49 said:
I think if we don't go 2-1 against the Giants, Rams, and Cards with the last two at home, we don't deserve to win the division anyway.

I am inclined to agree, but the point is we won't if that happens (unless the Niners somehow lose and I don't think that'll happen).

I did not start the threat to lament today's loss. It's done. I started it to take a hard eyed and realistic look at what we need to do and how much of the cushion we had this morning is now gone.

Seattle is still favored for HFA but it's not HFA or basically nothing now. There is no margin for error.
I don't understand. We are already in the playoffs. We're playing for seeding now. It's important, but it's far from 'win or go home.'

I don't mind too much that we still have meaningful games to play.

:229031_shrug:

kmedic

Reaction score
BTW everyone is assuming the 49ers are a shoe in for the playoffs but I wouldn't count out the Cards. They host SF at home the last game of the season and it could be for the six seed.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
kmedic":ha2g2d2o said:
BTW everyone is assuming the 49ers are a shoe in for the playoffs but I wouldn't count out the Cards. They host SF at home the last game of the season and it could be for the six seed.

Cards have nothing to do with it. If San Fran wins their next two, they are in. They can clinch the 6th seed as early as next week with a win and and loss by Arz, Dallas, and Philly. Given that San Fran is facing TB and Atlanta, and San Fran is very good at destroying average (or worse) teams, this is a virtual certainty. Arizona doesn't enter into it. San Fran can lose to Arizona and still clinch a playoff spot (esp if Seattle beats them in week 16 like Seattle will feel compelled to do to get HFA).

Edit PS: When I say "HFA or nothing" I don't mean out of the playoffs. I am basically saying that Seattle by losing today has put themselves into a very dicey position by needing to get the #1 seed just to win the division so it's HFA or be a wildcard.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2jay5xwo said:
Polaris":2jay5xwo said:
There is no margin for error.

Ummm...then how is it that we can lose next week and still control our own destiny?

Point taken. I would say that there is almost no margin for error. We started today with a 3.5 game lead for the division with four to go. Now it's a 1.5 game lead with three to go.

That isn't much margin for error.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":1e1qbcdi said:
MidwestHawker":1e1qbcdi said:
Polaris":1e1qbcdi said:
There is no margin for error.

Ummm...then how is it that we can lose next week and still control our own destiny?

Point taken. I would say that there is almost no margin for error. We started today with a 3.5 game lead for the division with four to go. Now it's a 1.5 game lead with three to go.

That isn't much margin for error.

It isn't a ton, but we're looking at three remaining games where we're going to be favored by at least six in each one. And we only need two of them. We're about 70% to win next week, so we'll probably win there, and then even if we lose we're still better than a coin flip to win both of the last two at home. And while I agree that SF probably wins out, that's obviously no sure thing on their end either. They're favored by less at Tampa next week than we are at New York.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you assume that SF will win all of their remaining games, and if you assume that the Seahawks will drop two of our next three games, then you probably just did too much assuming. Of course next week matters, but if you are a good team then every week in the NFL usually matters.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Polaris":tpojxvni said:
San Fran has played one more division game than us. That makes them 4-1 in division right now vs our 3-1. That means that right now San Fran owns the divisional tie break and that supercedes all the other tiebreaks save head to head. The only way San Fran loses that advantage would be for them to lose to Arizona and for use to win both our divisional games in which case we win anyway because of record.

Basically in any scenario that involves a 49ner tie (assuming they win their last three....virtually guaranteed, and we lose 2 of out three), there is no scenario where we win the tiebreak with the 49ners.

That was the price of today's loss.

Holy moly dude... your entire process relies on the Hawks losing 2 of their last 3 games while the Niners and or Saints win out. There is no "price" to today's game.

I don't see you gathering much support for what amounts to a nearly impossible scenario, but let me make it simple for you, look at the seeding each Monday morning from here on out and get back to me in a couple weeks.

Zorn76

Reaction score
It's a good thing our team has more composure than some of our fans.

Geez, fellas, Relax.

We are still going to win the division and HFA. Today's loss changes nothing, if you can keep in mind the bigger picture. Nothing like a fan forum after a loss. Cracks me up how hard people trip.

brettb3

Reaction score
Hmm. Can't say I'm with you. San Fran needed this game much more than we did. We're in the driver's seat. If it takes one more week to clinch everything, then so be it. You're giving the 49ers wins in their remaining three games. I would argue their remaining schedule is more difficult than ours. They play Arizona on the road, we get them at home. They are at Tampa and we are at New York. Tampa is playing better right now. And the Atlanta game for them is probably an easier matchup than the St. Louis game, but we're still at home for that one. So if you're giving three wins to SF, I'll do the same for the Seahawks.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1pm9hdxw said:
Polaris":1pm9hdxw said:
San Fran has played one more division game than us. That makes them 4-1 in division right now vs our 3-1. That means that right now San Fran owns the divisional tie break and that supercedes all the other tiebreaks save head to head. The only way San Fran loses that advantage would be for them to lose to Arizona and for use to win both our divisional games in which case we win anyway because of record.

Basically in any scenario that involves a 49ner tie (assuming they win their last three....virtually guaranteed, and we lose 2 of out three), there is no scenario where we win the tiebreak with the 49ners.

Holy moly dude... your entire process relies on the Hawks losing 2 of their last 3 games while the Niners and or Saints win out. There is no "price" to today's game.

I don't see you gathering much support for what amounts to a nearly impossible scenario, but let me make it simple for you, look at the seeding each Monday morning from here on out and get back to me in a couple weeks.

No, I am being realistic. I am not whining and saying "woe is me; all is lost" and frankly I dislike the notion that some are trying to present here that I am.

Perhaps I should have said, "Going ON from here". I am not giving up. Far from.

However, if you don't understand how important this game was and how much Seattle really did need to win it.

When you have a chance to step on your rival's throat and SEIZE the division and a first round bye YOU TAKE IT. As it is, we've given San Fran far too great a reprieve in the division and gave up far, far too much of our cushion.

Just the way it is. Now we deal with it....but be honest about it when dealing with it.

PS. Don't patronize to me about seeding. Seattle will look to be in the number one seed up until the moment the Niners tie with us. Then we're the wildcard. Immediately. Need to make sure that does NOT happen and that means we MUST win the next two.

sutz

Reaction score
PS. Don't patronize to me about seeding. Seattle will look to be in the number one seed up until the moment the Niners tie with us. Then we're the wildcard. Immediately. Need to make sure that does NOT happen and that means we MUST win the next two.
Actually, we MUST win 2 of the next 3. Which two is irrelevant.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Polaris":f3x8gdrw said:
loafoftatupu":f3x8gdrw said:
Polaris":f3x8gdrw said:

No, I am being realistic. I am not whining and saying "woe is me; all is lost" and frankly I dislike the notion that some are trying to present here that I am.

However, if you don't understand how important this game was and how much Seattle really did need to win it.

When you have a chance to step on your rival's throat and SEIZE the division and a first round bye YOU TAKE IT. As it is, we've given San Fran far too great a reprieve in the division and gave up far, far too much of our cushion.

Just the way it is. Now we deal with it....but be honest about it when dealing with it.

You aren't being realistic. You're assuming worst-case scenario. Big difference. Quit being a chicken little.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
brettb3":2r6rjpd6 said:
Hmm. Can't say I'm with you. San Fran needed this game much more than we did. We're in the driver's seat. If it takes one more week to clinch everything, then so be it. You're giving the 49ers wins in their remaining three games. I would argue their remaining schedule is more difficult than ours. They play Arizona on the road, we get them at home. They are at Tampa and we are at New York. Tampa is playing better right now. And the Atlanta game for them is probably an easier matchup than the St. Louis game, but we're still at home for that one. So if you're giving three wins to SF, I'll do the same for the Seahawks.

In terms of playoff seeding that simply wasn't true. With a win, we'd clinch both the division and a first round bye. However, 8 wins or 9 wins, San Fran is almost a mortal lock for the #6 seed. However, but not winning today, we not only postpone locking things up not by one week but two, but also gives the Niners a tiebreak on us if it ever comes to that...and it could.

That's not chicken-little. It's just the way it is.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
sutz":2mnqcnxf said:

You don't want it to come down to the last game of the seaon. At least I hope you don't.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Polaris":3dhzouok said:
sutz":3dhzouok said:

You don't want it to come down to the last game of the season. At least I hope you don't.

Who cares as long as they win two of three?

I will say that you will probably be lucky, as the Rams are the worst matchup for us out of the three, even at home.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3a45gwc8 said:
Polaris":3a45gwc8 said:
loafoftatupu":3a45gwc8 said:
Polaris":3a45gwc8 said:

You aren't being realistic. You're assuming worst-case scenario. Big difference. Quit being a chicken little.

Of for the love of mike.... :roll:

When you deal with playoff scenarios, assuming the worst case scenario IS being realistic. There is no "chicken little" about it. I won't feel confortable until we win two more (if we win two more).

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1dbylruk said:
Polaris":1dbylruk said:
sutz":1dbylruk said:

You don't want it to come down to the last game of the season. At least I hope you don't.

Who cares as long as they win two of three?

I will say that you will probably be lucky, as the Rams are the worst matchup for us out of the three, even at home.

It's called "margin of error". If something bad can happen, you have to assume it probably will. The best way to stop that is to win the next two games and remove any doubt.