Did trading for Howell close the door on a 1st round QB?

Did trading for Howell close the door on a 1st round QB?

• Yes.

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No.

Votes: 51 50.5%

• Total voters

pmedic920

Reaction score
It has always been the Seahawks strategy to go into the draft with a full team and draft best player available over need. In free agency we needed and acquired a back up QB. If best player Available in the draft is a QB they will stay true to their boards and grab him
“It has always been”

Are you sure about that?

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think Ewers will end up being the best QB in his draft class, Sanders has talent, but will he have his dad's attitude? That remains to be seen. I like Ward because of his upside (strong arm, escapability, etc...) as a Miami Canes fan, I look forward to seeing what he'll look like with an elite OL. He didn't have that luxury at WSU. Ewers & Sanders might go early, while I feel like Ward can be there when Seattle picks, which I predict will again be somewhere near the middle of the first round. Ward might even be available in the 2nd.

I'm not convinced by Beck & Milroe, for the same reason I wasn't convinced by Stetson Bennett, they seem like a product of their team. Gabriel is likely a career backup, and I've never even heard of Fafita, TBH.
Noah Fafita is UA QB, and was far better than Ward last year. Without him Arizona would have gone 7-5. Ward just isn’t that great. He makes some awful decisions, and under Mario that won’t get better.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So what would be the advantage of drafting one next year in a weak qb class vs drafting one now in a strong qb class? We're always going to have other needs. Always.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Hawks will draft Penix at #25 to run the new offense.

They'll most likely trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick.

#15 and #118 to Green Bay for #25 and #58.

Almost an equal draft value.

GB has 2 second round picks and we have none.
We have 2 third round picks but give up one.

In this scenario, how do the Seahawks get pick #15 to trade to the Packers? They'd have to trade pick #16 and more picks to the Colts for it, and the "more picks" part of that would have to be included in the cost for this operation.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
In this scenario, how do the Seahawks get pick #15 to trade to the Packers? They'd have to trade pick #16 and more picks to the Colts for it, and the "more picks" part of that would have to be included in the cost for this operation.
The draft value is:
1000 + 185 = 1185
720 + 320 = 1040

or it can be:

720 + 490 = 1210

Last edited:

HawaiiD

Reaction score
I voted no because I don’t think the window is closed. My belief is we going to go offensive line in the first round.

Last edited:

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
There is a LESS than ZERO percent chance they draft a first round QB. Thread finished. get over it!

Michael Penix dreams will be for naught. He will be drafted by a shit team and never see the field for long, his career will thereby be a few years as backup, a couple starts with no team around him PROVING he sucks, then out of the league

Scout

Reaction score
So what would be the advantage of drafting one next year in a weak qb class vs drafting one now in a strong qb class? We're always going to have other needs. Always.
If the Hawks take a QB in round 1 of 2025 they maximize the full length of the rookie contract with a five year option. Which means they could bring a lot of players in other areas while the QB plays under the rookie contract and fifth year option.

Now, drafting a QB this year is good in that they will have a year to sit and learn and probably compete for a starting job as soon as next season.

WarHawks

Reaction score
There is less than a zero percent chance that the chance is less than zero that it is at least a possibility. Especially since JS has met with JJ several times according to reports. You don't do that if you're not at least considering the possibility of trading up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Packers have drafted QBs in the 1st round (late 1st rd) when they necessarily didn't need anyone at that position. It's worked out well for them. Rodgers and Love were drafted while Favre and Rodgers were entrenched in the position respectively. John Schneider comes from Packer system. It'll be interesting how this all plays out.

Jville

Reaction score
There are good reasons to interview and get to know potential franchise quarterbacks that may play for years thru out the league.

161128swashington4

flv2

Reaction score
There is a LESS than ZERO percent chance they draft a first round QB. Thread finished. get over it!

Michael Penix dreams will be for naught. He will be drafted by a shit team and never see the field for long, his career will thereby be a few years as backup, a couple starts with no team around him PROVING he sucks, then out of the league
Posts like this are why i'd like there to be a 'disagree' or 'different opinion' option as well as the current options. If 1 or 2 of the top 6 QBs are available late in the 1st round multiple teams would be interested if they could trade into those spots at a reasonable price. Seattle shouldn't be ruled out in that scenario. I generally like @SeAhAwKeR4life's posts so I hope he/she doesn't take this post personally.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very little of what R4life says is worth reading. Thank you block button.
This person actually thinks that Penix isn't a good QB. He/She deserves zero credibility. There is ZERO PERCENT CHANCE I give a rip about any opinion he/she brings.
He or She sounds like a 9 year old. Yawn.......

So there's that........

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Always a chance. I haven’t been more ‘sure’ of something NOT happening but, you never know.

There’s so many WB hungry teams ahead of us in this upcoming draft….had that not been the case…I’d think differently (with or without the Howell signing).

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Posts like this are why i'd like there to be a 'disagree' or 'different opinion' option as well as the current options. If 1 or 2 of the top 6 QBs are available late in the 1st round multiple teams would be interested if they could trade into those spots at a reasonable price. Seattle shouldn't be ruled out in that scenario. I generally like @SeAhAwKeR4life's posts so I hope he/she doesn't take this post personally.
Of course not, I rarely take anything personally on forums.

I really would love a guy to fall to 16 and get taken. A team can carry three QBs on the active roster. I just don't see it happening. As much as we'd all like some nice new shiny prospect, the reality is probably that we have two starter level guys, that if the rest of the holes are filled well, can easily take us on a deep playoff run. In reality, no matter how much we all like the idea of a QB prospect, QB isn't really a need given the talent level of the two guys already on the roster, and professionals know this better than fans.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Of course not, I rarely take anything personally on forums.

I really would love a guy to fall to 16 and get taken. A team can carry three QBs on the active roster. I just don't see it happening. As much as we'd all like some nice new shiny prospect, the reality is probably that we have two starter level guys, that if the rest of the holes are filled well, can easily take us on a deep playoff run. In reality, no matter how much we all like the idea of a QB prospect, QB isn't really a need given the talent level of the two guys already on the roster, and professionals know this better than fans.
I can like this post and at the same time disagree. When there is a ton of QB talent available, you act if they are on your board. Geno will be 35 this year. The future is now. If they dont take a QB and get someone great at 16 on Defense. I won't be butthurt.