Did trading for Howell close the door on a 1st round QB?

Did trading for Howell close the door on a 1st round QB?

• Yes.

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No.

Votes: 51 50.5%

• Total voters

Maulbert

Reaction score
I'm not looking for an answer, I know what I think. I ask this because there seems to be a lot of people who want the Hawks to draft Penix or Nix at #16. Just wondering how realistic people think that possibility is.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My answer is "No." Realistically, it probably closed it most of the way, but you never know. JS is a wild card sometimes, and if he's smitten... he's gonna get his guy. Sam Howell is both a good backup and an asset they could look at flipping down the road. The Eagles didn't make the trade for Pickett as an heir apparent to Hurts - same kinda deal.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Of course, it does not technically close the door. There will be QBs still on the board at #16. So I voted “no.” But if they are drafting a QB, we don’t need three. Let Nix develop for a year, and then replace Geno in 2025. I would also trade up to #9 to get him. However, the Howell acquisition signals that the Seahawks are (1) on the Howell train in 2025, or (2) drafting a QB in 2025.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Of course, it does not technically close the door. There will be QBs still on the board at #16. So I voted “no.” But if they are drafting a QB, we don’t need three. Let Nix develop for a year, and then replace Geno in 2025. I would also trade up to #9 to get him. However, the Howell acquisition signals that the Seahawks are (1) on the Howell train in 2025, or (2) drafting a QB in 2025.
Your desire that the Bears fleece us is well documented.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
My answer is "No." Realistically, it probably closed it most of the way, but you never know. JS is a wild card sometimes, and if he's smitten... he's gonna get his guy. Sam Howell is both a good backup and an asset they could look at flipping down the road. The Eagles didn't make the trade for Pickett as an heir apparent to Hurts - same kinda deal.
Yeah, this move makes no sense if we end up drafting a first round QB. In fact, it kind of confused me from day one. I think you and I were in agreement there.

Not that Sam Howell is a bad QB, I think he’s FINE as a backup. It’s just the fact that his contract is almost up. He’s been in the league for three years now as well.

If they decide to draft a QB in the first I’ll be very confused. Either Geno is gone which imo would be a mistake, or you end up potentially just cutting Howell.

I’m not a fan of the Howell trade. He’s not QBOTF material. If anything I see him more as a Minshew tier character.

Jac

Reaction score
I think that JS is going to be much more aggressive drafting QBs. It's very possible that McCarthy/Penix/Nix are there at #16. QB's tend to be equal parts of being over-drafted, then free-falling. He'll have a decision to make depending on what OL are there and/or he gets an offer to move down to recoup a second or a third. But going forward I wouldn't be surprised to see him draft a QB every year. Maybe Howell counts as that draft pick this year, though...and that's your point.

GemCity

Reaction score
Technically, no but I voted yes. I believe that JS likes Howell and may also consider him to be “better” or have a higher ceiling than those in the upcoming draft.

I’m not sure I share the same sentiment but, the acquisition of Howell indicates we won’t be drafting a QB.

There IS always a chance…

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think it does. The Hawks have so many holes to fix that QB isnt a priority right now as Geno is serviceable. Howell is just back up insurance for the time being. They are going to ride the Smith/Howell combo for awhile until they can see what they currently have at other positions. Might take a few years.

Sure, they'll nab a guy if somebody falls into their lap that they really love, but I don't believe they are really looking in that direction right now.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think it does. The Hawks have so many holes to fix that QB isnt a priority right now as Geno is serviceable. Howell is just back up insurance for the time being. They are going to ride the Smith/Howell combo for awhile until they can see what they currently have at other positions. Might take a few years.

Sure, they'll nab a guy if somebody falls into their lap that they really love, but I don't believe they are really looking in that direction right now.
My thoughts exactly. Like him or not, Geno is a Pro-Bowler.

I think it would be kind of crazy to take the 4th or 5th rated guy at his position with pick 16 when the defense is bottom dwelling.

There’s always a chance that one of those guys ends up being the next TB, Manning, etc… but generally speaking, that’s a terrible draft approach.

Defense needs fixed. I’d like to see our O-line (well, trenches on both sides) beefed up.

I can see Geno and/or Howell doing very well behind a stout line.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Nope. You'll need two guys in 2025 and Geno won't be here then. Just my opinion.

sutz

Reaction score
I answered "no" but I don't think they will. I still think they will trade back for more picks on day 2/3. I'm just saying that the door is still "open."

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
You would trade up to #9 for Bo Nix? Are you crazy? 🤣 B0-3 isn't a top ten pick dude.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Your desire that the Bears fleece us is well documented.
Not true. I think Nix is going to be an excellent NFL prospect. I also think there’s a chance the Broncosget him at #12. If I’m right, Nix is worth 2nd round pick in 2025. I honestly believe this could be vey good for both teams.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You would trade up to #9 for Bo Nix? Are you crazy? 🤣 B0-3 isn't a top ten pick dude.
It is very hard to predict. About 50% of QBs drafted in first round fail, and it matters little statistically whether he’s drafted #10 or #20. If there’s a guy you believe in and can get at reasonable price, you make the deal. Watch what the Vikings do in this draft. I believe Nix and McCarthy are about equal prospects. I know that’s a minority opinion, but we’ll see what happens when they get to the NFL. Remember, Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant. Drafting QBs is a very imprecise business.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Nix has a FAR better chance of falling out of the first round entirely than going that high.
Seahawks don’t have a second round pick, so can’t wait that long even if you’re right.