Did trading for Howell close the door on a 1st round QB?

• Yes.

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No.

Votes: 51 50.5%

• Total voters

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Guess Name a highly-competitive signal-caller who was has been very productive in a pro-style system during his career. Possesses a live arm and flashes the ability to make all the NFL throws. Displays impressive accuracy in the short passing game. Is athletic and mobile for the position and can avoid the rush and make plays outside the pocket. Has a very quick delivery.

Bo Nix could be this guy or very close, who was he? Jimmy Clausen.

View attachment 65815
I hated this guy coming out of college. I predicted he would suck. Holmgren didn't like him either.

toffee

Reaction score

My take:
Most likely close the door for a 1st round QB, but not absolutely. If Schneider has a few "must-have" QBs and one of them happens to be available at #16, Schneider may just jump for it. But I won't be surprised if we don't draft a QB or draft a late-round QB that needs development.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I answered "no" but I don't think they will. I still think they will trade back for more picks on day 2/3. I'm just saying that the door is still "open."
I think unless someone in their top ten drops JS is trading back first two picks and collecting lineman, te, etc

NoGain

Reaction score
No, no he does not.
I've watched them both play. I think Nix has better leadership qualities, these kinds of things, but I stand by what I said. Nix basically flamed out at Auburn, and Rattler got overtaken by the consensus #1 QB in the draft this year. Nix also had a better coach and a much better team at Oregon. I just saw Rattler doing things that I don't think Nix could, or didn't see it.

This doesn't mean I'd bet the house on Rattler having a better NFL career than Nix. I think Nix is about a late 2nd or 3rd round talent. Let someone else overbuy for Nix. We can agree to disagree.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
To your point, Nix could very well turn out to be the best of the bunch. But there's a good chance that he and Penix slip into the second, then get quickly picked up the next day (like Levis). At the same time, Minnesota and Denver are starved for a young QB to sell to their fanbases, so somebody could definitely get over-drafted. I wish the draft wasn't late April. Ready for this to be over...
I don’t mind over-draft if you hit your QB1. Nobody would regret trading up for a QB who gets you to the Super Bowl. In retrospect, it wasn’t an over-draft at all. On the flip side, if you cross your fingers and pray the QB you want falls to you in the second round and miss him, your team owner is not going to be happy.

Scout

Reaction score
Rattler and Nix are two different QBs. Nix can make plays even when things are off script with his feet but Rattler takes it to the next level.

The reason why these QB's are receiving a lot of intrigue is because motion based bootleg offenses are in vogue now and these two QBs can fit into that mold.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don’t mind over-draft if you hit your QB1. Nobody would regret trading up for a QB who gets you to the Super Bowl. In retrospect, it wasn’t an over-draft at all. On the flip side, if you cross your fingers and pray the QB you want falls to you in the second round and miss him, your team owner is not going to be happy.
This x 💯
At some point, you have to pull the trigger and try to get the guy you want and need. If you never do, it doesn't matter how good your D or Oline is.

NoGain

Reaction score
Trey Lance. Bryce Young. Sam Darnold. Josh Rosen. Mitch Trubisky. There are plenty of teams that have moved up to get their guy and found out that it really wasn't their guy. The jury is still out on Bryce Young, but they are looking bad already for not taking CJ Stroud.

It's always been a crapshoot.

Jac

Reaction score
This x 💯
At some point, you have to pull the trigger and try to get the guy you want and need. If you never do, it doesn't matter how good your D or Oline is.
For sure. I've been wanting to draft a QB (in any early round really) for years. This team has been negligent in that regard. I think that's one of the differences you're going to see going forward. JS is going to start using draft capital (already has) on QBs.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I don't think it closed the door. It's puts one more option on the table, but it did not remove the option of drafting a QB from the table.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think it means they don't feel a QB they like will fall to 16 and are going to try to trade back. Now could be that a QB they like does fall and can't swing a decent offer to trade down. If that happens, who knows, maybe they do draft a QB.
I'm with you, I think they put their backup plan plan in place first and if a QB they like falls in their lap so be it. As many of us know the QB class for 2025 is not good so....

Zybot

Reaction score
It could happen but to be honest I think the Hawks target other needs like interior O Line and defensive players. Get the bones retooled and in 25 they could be ready to make a splash at QB if they move on from Geno and Howell

WarHawks

Reaction score
Trey Lance. Bryce Young. Sam Darnold. Josh Rosen. Mitch Trubisky. There are plenty of teams that have moved up to get their guy and found out that it really wasn't their guy. The jury is still out on Bryce Young, but they are looking bad already for not taking CJ Stroud.

It's always been a crapshoot.
Yep. No one is pretending it isn't. You still have to try though. No risk, no reward.

NoGain

Reaction score
Yep. No one is pretending it isn't. You still have to try though. No risk, no reward.
I agree. We haven't done diddly-squat for the QB position in the draft since RW. Trading up for a Bo Nix isn't the answer for me, though. If Penix fell to them at #16, however, and they took him, I'd be okay with that. Penix at least has an elite level arm.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I've watched them both play. I think Nix has better leadership qualities, these kinds of things, but I stand by what I said. Nix basically flamed out at Auburn, and Rattler got overtaken by the consensus #1 QB in the draft this year. Nix also had a better coach and a much better team at Oregon. I just saw Rattler doing things that I don't think Nix could, or didn't see it.

This doesn't mean I'd bet the house on Rattler having a better NFL career than Nix. I think Nix is about a late 2nd or 3rd round talent. Let someone else overbuy for Nix. We can agree to disagree.
Rattler lost the starting job at Oklahoma so he packed up and went to South Carolina. https://stormininnorman.com/2022/09...ler-miffed-by-all-the-continued-ou-questions/

I'm not a fan of Bo Nix either but let's be fair when talking about someone flaming out somewhere.

NoGain

Reaction score
Rattler lost the starting job at Oklahoma so he packed up and went to South Carolina. https://stormininnorman.com/2022/09...ler-miffed-by-all-the-continued-ou-questions/

I'm not a fan of Bo Nix either but let's be fair when talking about someone flaming out somewhere.
Flamed out, overtaken...I didn't mean them to sound as opposing as you took them. Bo Nix was a pretty big disappointment at Auburn. He just didn't look good at all. Rattler, to me at least, looked like he had some real talent, but too often forced throws he shouldn't have.

When Caleb came in as a freshman to spell him, he immediately lit it up. I watched every Oklahoma game as my partner is a Sooner. I don't think I've ever seen a freshman QB come in like that and take over in almost every way.

That's why I said overtaken. You knew Rattler was done as the starting QB with the dramatic entry of Williams.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
It could happen but to be honest I think the Hawks target other needs like interior O Line and defensive players. Get the bones retooled and in 25 they could be ready to make a splash at QB if they move on from Geno and Howell
Like I said there's not a lot of splash to be made in the 2025 draft at QB. Once you're past Beck and Sanders there's a drop off. They may be better off trying to make something happen this year or wait until 2026.