Did the 49ers beat us fair and square?

Did the 49ers beat us fair and square?

• Absolutely. No doubt about it.

Votes: 162 68.1%
  • No, they needed the help from the refs.

Votes: 76 31.9%

• Total voters

djb28

Reaction score
I can't get over how Frank Gore always gashes us for a huge gain at a critical time. I do think they beat us fair and square. We had a few calls go our way too, But in the end we didn't stop them and they ran the clock and scored. I am not even mad. I guess a winning season remedies that. We still control our destiny. But these penalties have to stop. This is not just a "this game" thing. It has been the past two seasons.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Largent80":2szavqc8 said:
I am not getting why RW didn't run more.

I think it had a lot to do with the way they were spying him coupled with the leagues "okay" to plant him (with or with out the ball) as well as the fact that he had no back up available if he were hurt. The niners assigned a man to drill him and we failed to capitolize on that with our play calling.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
My opinion is the refs were just way way too involved in the game, just let 'em play.

Calling every incidental hand brushing a face-mask, or every time the wr/db hand fight... ugh

It was just painful, didn't it get to the point with you guys after every play you were looking for a flag? I was. And that's not a game I want to watch.

Let them play.

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
Of course they beat us fair and square, not sure why everyone wants to blame the refs. Lets be honest, the secondary (Sherman especially) get away with a lot of contact every game that should be called. The refs were obviously not going to let these guys get out of hand. Sherman has the biggest mouth in football, and this was a heated rivalry, I'm sure the refs met before the game and decided to not let things get out of hand, which starts with frustration from such things as grabbing and holding. Heck, they threw a 15 yard flag on Whitner for just running his mouth. He didn't stand over one of our guys, or do some stupid celebration, or even touch the football, he just said something. They got Bowman later for a retaliation after one of our guys went after him first. It's not like they didn't call anything on the 49ers either. I also remember a big play negated on a play by their RG Boone for hands to the face. They had 70 yards in penalties, we had 85. Big deal.

Plus, let's face it, we were lucky to be that close. The fact that we held them to FG's on their first two drives - especially after a blocked kick - was great. I for one was glad that Harbaugh decided to kick the FG rather than go for it on 4th and 1 on their second scoring drive. We were lucky that Kaepernick didn't run that in for a TD. He was literally tripped up by his shoeslaces on what looked to be a sure TD run. If you watch the replay that shows the play coming at you, Wagner made a fantastic play on Kapernick's left foot that tripped him up at the last possible second. Plus, Maxwell got an INT when they were in the redzone. It looked like Crabtree ran the wrong route as he was smacking himself in the head and yelling at himself after the play. Looked like he was outside rather than inside on that play. Why Kapernick threw that pass I'll never know.

We had several breaks not go our way, but several that did, and the penalty flags were almost even. We were lucky to have the lead late and decided to make the worst defensive play on the day at the worst possible moment. It happens, but I don't see why we can't beat these guys by 3 touchdowns at home if we meet again. Kaepernick is still nowhere near the player he was last season, Gore (besides that one run) didn't look too special, and we bottled up Davis for most of the game. Boldin had a good game, but between him, Davis, and Crabtree if you're going to let one of them free it has to be Boldin.

We lost fair and square.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why was there ZERO talk about how horrible that fumble call was?? It was a game changer, and magically (because it was the 39ers) it is "un-reviewable" BS, he wasn't down, and it cost us a TD.

Largent80

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":21b1qx4v said:
It was just painful, didn't it get to the point with you guys after every play you were looking for a flag?

Ha...at one point I walked up to the tv and I could see a refs flag hanging in his pocket, and I pulled it, I needed to laugh by that point...although I was seething.

Also, I already had the feeling the refs were going to be heavily involved with all the publicity about bad blood.

drdiags

Reaction score
Kixkahn":5a5p1128 said:
drdiags":5a5p1128 said:
And what is up with our ST FG and Punt teams? I mean, Osgood had time for a burger before blocking the punt. Did an injury screw up the personnel that was supposed to be out there? Cannot blame this one on a whistle from the stands. Brian Schneider needs to kick a few guys in the butt. ST has had a few snafus this season.
My question on that is aren't they not supposed to be able to hit the punter while still in the air? Ryan could have gotten injured.

Not sure. I thought once you get a hand on the punt, all bets are off.

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
Largent80":3ft2xpvt said:
twisted_steel2":3ft2xpvt said:
It was just painful, didn't it get to the point with you guys after every play you were looking for a flag?

Ha...at one point I walked up to the tv and I could see a refs flag hanging in his pocket, and I pulled it, I needed to laugh by that point...although I was seething.

Also, I already had the feeling the refs were going to be heavily involved with all the publicity about bad blood.

Yes, once the punt is blocked the punters are no longer protected. Which is stupid because the penalties for punts that aren't blocked are for player saftey. So I guess a punter whose punt is blocked doesn't deserve to be safe?

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":17cgb16a said:
Why was there ZERO talk about how horrible that fumble call was?? It was a game changer, and magically (because it was the 39ers) it is "un-reviewable" BS, he wasn't down, and it cost us a TD.

Which fumble?

chrispy

Reaction score
We give up all rights to say the refs are unfair if we're the 2nd most penalized team in the league. We're the #1 penalized team on the road. Penalties have been unacceptably high all season. Most games, however, they've been able to outplay their cost. To say that this game was unfair when we've been penalizing ourselves all year is just an easy way to deal with the loss. We got a lot of flags because we've been playing that way all season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pytrpit0 said:

It was un-reviewable because his forward progress was stopped, not because he was wearing a 49'ers jersey. Good lord.

How bout the break we got on the blocked punt? That was a 15 yard difference, and probably saved giving up a TD vs only a FG.

Both teams were heavily penalized, we lost because the Niners made more big plays than we did. Plain and simple. Move on and let's kick a bad Giant's team in the ass and win this thing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I hate to blame officiating but the Crabtree fumble obviously played a role in the outcome. They scored when they shouldnt have and we lost by two. Doesnt make you a homer to admit that. Having said that we still had a chance to win and the defense blew it.

General Manager

Reaction score
They won but fair and square no they had help. That said we needed to play for keeps on offense and Wilson did zero read option so we didn't use everything in the arsenal either, and we should have thrown more in the early downs.. Also we don't have a WR of Crabtree's caliber this must change just stating facts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
General Manager":irx30868 said:
They won but fair and square no they had help. That said we needed to play for keeps on offense and Wilson did zero read option so we didn't use everything in the arsenal either, and we should have thrown more in the early downs.. Also we don't have a WR of Crabtree's caliber this must change just stating facts.

He did a bunch of read options, but SF made a concerted effort to NOT let Russell get wide. Their ends stayed home on just about every read play, which is why Lynch was given the ball on all of those plays.

Give SF credit, they had a good game plan to not let Russell do what he does best, scramble and make plays.

General Manager

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21lkz5z4 said:
General Manager":21lkz5z4 said:

He did a bunch of read options, but SF made a concerted effort to NOT let Russell get wide. Their ends stayed home on just about every read play, which is why Lynch was given the ball on all of those plays.

Give SF credit, they had a good game plan to not let Russell do what he does best, scramble and make plays.

We watched two different games is all I can say to that. There was a lot of green grass on the edge for Wilson and it was never taken advantage of.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seahawks_FanMan":1mcvlped said:
SoulfishHawk":1mcvlped said:

Which fumble?

Not that it matters now and the source is despised by most Seahawks fans but here you go

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 18h
Regarding your tweets, in the SF game, it shouldn't have been forward progress & Crabtree wasn't down

This is the play Pete wanted to challenge but was told forward progress had been called prior to Crabtree's fumble. Judgment call, you love them when they happen for your team, hate them when they go against your team.

Seahawks_FanMan

Reaction score
drdiags":2pnv59qy said:
Seahawks_FanMan":2pnv59qy said:
SoulfishHawk":2pnv59qy said:

Which fumble?

Not that it matters now and the source is despised by most Seahawks fans but here you go

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 18h
Regarding your tweets, in the SF game, it shouldn't have been forward progress & Crabtree wasn't down

This is the play Pete wanted to challenge but was told forward progress had been called prior to Crabtree's fumble. Judgment call, you love them when they happen for your team, hate them when they go against your team.

Ah, okay.

Yes, the arbitrary "progress has been stopped." I didn't really even pay attention because the whistle had blown. Not to continue to make excuses for thr 49ers, but they were screwed royally with such a call a couple years ago that most likely puts them in the SB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZF2LeSMm0

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
It's a silly question, can we stop.

The refs are involved in every game whether good or bad, it's just part of the game.