Denver defense - Overhyped

mrblitz

Reaction score
denver's regular season points ratio was 606:399 or 1.518...
seattle's was 417:231 or 1.805...

seattle has a stronger ratio

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Denver's D has been playing well later in the season, but they're still mediocre compared to Seattle D................that's right, I said "mediocre."

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wsfweswz said:
Denver's D has been playing well later in the season, but they're still mediocre compared to Seattle D................that's right, I said "mediocre."

Sherm! I didn't know you posted here. :lol: :stirthepot:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Hey I will not sell their defense short. They have been playing well of late and are not the defense that was struggling in the middle of the season. They have put things together and have become a much more solid unit. One thing they have always been good at this year is stopping the run.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
lsheldon":3ciovvdt said:
Hawkalypse":3ciovvdt said:
What's this Jacksonville reject they keep pumpin up, rump roast? How bout that retirement home they call a secondary.

Funny you mention that. I was reading one of the Donkey's forums last night and they have a thread about that guy. One of them posted that he was killing it and ranked as the #9 DT in the league by PFF. Two page thread on it calling him the "X-Factor". Funny thing is, not one of them happened to acknowledge that Brandon Mebane is ranked #3 on that same list. If I were them, I would be more concerned with Mebane killing it.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthr ... -Pot-Roast

Most telling point is, Pot Roast has the 2nd highest PFF on Denver's Defense.......

Pot Roast is Killin it!!!

According to Profootballfocus, which rates every play of every player, he was the 2nd best PFF rating on Denver defense and the 9th best Defensive tackle in the NFL!
Go Pot Roast!

Name Team Snaps Overall Rush Cov. Run Pen. # of Pen QB Sk QB Ht QB Hu BP Tks Ass MT St
1 Gerald McCoy TB 985 57.3 53.8 1.5 8.3 -6.3 12-1 10 14 56 3 30 5 4 36
2 Ndamukong Suh DET 913 39.9 36.1 -0.5 8.9 -4.6 9-1 5 13 54 4 34 13 3 33
3 Brandon Mebane SEA 540 36.2 10.9 0.5 22.7 2.1 0-0 0 6 26 1 24 13 1 22
4 Jurrell Casey TEN 891 36.1 28.6 2.0 4.0 1.5 2-0 11 7 36 2 37 7 7 39
5 Damon Harrison NYJ 510 34.8 -3.8 1.0 37.6 0.0 2-1 1 0 9 1 44 13 4 39
6 Marcell Dareus BUF 841 32.4 11.2 2.0 19.2 0.0 3-1 9 4 30 1 49 13 4 45
7 Randy Starks MIA 742 28.8 13.0 -0.5 15.3 1.0 2-0 4 6 30 1 39 9 5 35
8 Jason Hatcher DAL 773 27.3 26.9 0.5 -1.2 1.1 2-0 11 7 33 1 22 8 7 29
9 Terrance Knighton DEN 604 24.1 10.5 0.0 11.7 1.9 1-0 4 5 25 0 22 9 2 22
Holy catfish! Only behind MCCoy and Suh????? What a steal Bane is, Ruskell' s best overall pick IMO (Lofa didn't play long enough).

Shock2k

Reaction score
They have had pretty good D against the run.

They faced the top 3 running backs in the league DVOA:
McCoy, Murray, Charles. Charles blew them up one game, and got stuffed in another game. They held McCoy to 73 yards on the ground and 2 for 21 receiving. Which is kind of what their fans lay their hats on.

We really just wear people out from a run game perspective. Most of our big run yards happen in the second quarter, which may come down to conditioning.

I have another theory, I like to call it scrambling to set up the run game. Russell scrambles around, winding their line, then Marshawn pops one of his long runs. (This is a joke)

Seeker

Reaction score
Many of denvers defensive stats are skewed by the fact the opposing teams offense is usually down by a billion. Peyton aint throwing up video game numbers on Seattle.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
lsheldon":g17g5908 said:
These are the defenses that Denver has faced. Average ranking is about 20.

Baltimore - 12th ranked defense
New York Giants - 8th ranked defense
Oakland - 22nd ranked defense
Philadelphia - 29th ranked defense
Dallas - 32nd ranked defense
Jacksonville - 27th ranked defense (tied for 27th)
Indy - 20th ranked defense
Washington - 18th ranked defense
San Diego - 23rd ranked defense
Kansas City - 24th ranked defense
New England - 26th ranked defense
Kansas City - 24th ranked defense
Tennessee - 14th ranked defense
San Diego - 23rd ranked defense
Houston - 7th ranked defense
Oakland - 22nd ranked defense

My question would be what was their rank when they were faced by Denver. That would be a more telling stat.
:stirthepot: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
plyka":1agmv8qy said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":1agmv8qy said:
Just to keep this conversation in perspective (not implying this means they're good), stats can be miss leading. ...When you have an offense setting passing records it means the opposing teams are forced to play catchup, I'm inclined to think it's a possibility defenses don't always play their best when up by 20+ points, very likely there was a few cheap meaningless tds scored and that a high octane offense generally means a lack of ball control and leaving your d out there more to get tired out ect.

I've seen this argument before. It seems like it's one not based on any facts. Let's put some numbers out so we can actually get to the heart of the discussion. The Broncos did have the highest point differential, it was 13 points per game. They beat out their opponents by an average of 13 points per game. So you're saying that this causes your defense to allow more points/yards? Well, let's look at the 2nd place in points differential --the Seahawks. The Seahawks won by an average of 11.7 points per game ---so Denver won by an average of 1.3 points per game more than the Seahawks. So how is it that the Seahawks have the #1 defense by the statistics? How is it that the Seahawks, despite having similar leads in the average game, do not allow it to skew the stats?

Let's be frank, this is the excuse of excuses. Denver's defense just is not very good. Your excuse for them is good unless you dig a little deeper and do a little comparison.

Sometimes Common sense and watching football gives a more accurate assessment, stats can be miss leading. And no, that's not what i was saying, Sure the point differential is similar, but the points per game isn't. Denver scored a cap load more then us which you conveniently left out of your comparison of stats, if you can't see how being up by 3 scores could possibly affect the defense then that's fine idc lol cause..
Like I said, I wasn't implying that their D is good, only throwing out that they possibly aren't as bad as they seem. I have no reason to make excuses for them and I hope your right, as I'm ready for sea to light up the scoarboard, which they will need to do.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bayless and the other one we're pumping up the Denver defense, saying how good it was.

Sorry, Skip, but it'll take more than Knighton to stop our running game. This is the kind of defense we've owned over the last two years. Plus they've lost Von Miller and their best corner.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
the only case i hear for the broncos is how they stopped Blount and the patriots running game. To compare blount to Lynch is disrespectfull to Lynch I don't care how many yards and Td's he put up against the overrated colts. The Hawks Offensive line is one of the most physical groups in the NFL they are built to compete against J. Smith and Co. twice a year. So I don't think Pot roast and Sean Phillips will be a bad match up for this offensive line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30i364o7 said:
Bayless and the other one we're pumping up the Denver defense, saying how good it was.

Sorry, Skip, but it'll take more than Knighton to stop our running game. This is the kind of defense we've owned over the last two years. Plus they've lost Von Miller and their best corner.

Remember, this is the same Skip Bayless that said the Patriots would not only win the Superbowl this year, but destroy the Broncos last weekend.

Bayless pukes up a narrative, and hangs onto it until the wheels fall off............then continues to hang onto it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Shock2k":w1p4q0eo said:
They have had pretty good D against the run.

They faced the top 3 running backs in the league DVOA:
McCoy, Murray, Charles. Charles blew them up one game, and got stuffed in another game. They held McCoy to 73 yards on the ground and 2 for 21 receiving. Which is kind of what their fans lay their hats on.

We really just wear people out from a run game perspective. Most of our big run yards happen in the second quarter, which may come down to conditioning.

I have another theory, I like to call it scrambling to set up the run game. Russell scrambles around, winding their line, then Marshawn pops one of his long runs. (This is a joke)

Really hard to get a handle on these numbers without including the number of attempts as well. Denver's D likely appears better vs the run because they are typically ahead by a score that forces the opposition to pass...which makes them look better against the run (than they may actually be). The loss of Von Miller is huge as is the loss of Clady on the O-line. We should fare well against them on both sides of the ball.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
rightbench":cndl04in said:
when you look at our opponents since our bye:

Saints
Niners
Giants*
Cardinals
Rams
Saints
Niners

I think the Broncos defense is going to feel like a breath of fresh air for our players.
They're gonna line up and realize that they've faced much taller tasks than this and they're gonna go off next Sunday.

They were also good teams. Saints had 11 wins, 49ers had 12 wins and Cards had 10 wins. Even the Rams and Giants had 7 wins.

Domseahawks

Reaction score
All i have been hearing is Denver are pretty good at stopping the run and bad at defending the pass. Pretty good won't cut it against a team that was able to run against probably the best run stuffing team in the league in the 49ers..

CANHawk

Reaction score
Tell me if you think this is a sack if Tom Brady was actually Russell Wilson. Not only is that NOT a sack, it's likely a 20 yard gain (if Russell is allowed to run this time). Honestly, the more I see of this guy, I think he's a GREAT match up for Carpenter. Fight power with power. Carp should envelop him.

I'd love to see more clips of this dude, but I can't seem to find any. That Brady play was wierd though. Pot Pie is lines up in the A gap like a 1 tech, so the guard should have got help from the center, it actually looks like the guard tried to steer him into where the double team should have been, but the center went to double the 3 tech so fat boy just rumbled on through. That sack probably shouldn't have happened.

found this little bit from Heath Evans. i watched it with the sound off because... well... Heath Evans, but from what I can see, Beef Shawarma gets pwned if you double him with some big boys. He's fat and slow so he should be easy to get a hat on. Whoever they have at 3-tech doesn't appear to be able to get consistent pressure on the 1-1 against the guard, so we should be able to handle him easy enough. I think throwing Unger and Carp or Unger and Sweezy at him should be enough to take care of Charsiu Pork.

Naw, sorry. No matter how I look at it, I can't see this Denver devense being capable of anything besides getting carved up. Lynch is going to run for a $1.40 against these guys. it's going to look like this, only way worse...

Oh but hey... they shut down Legarrette Blount and that is somehow indicative of something. lolz...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1eag67k1 said:
Harvin is the wild card. If we can keep him on the field and keep him healthy and use him in the capacity we envisioned (kick returns, passing game, running game, decoy) when he signed him, we are going to move the ball and score points.

This game will be CRITICAL to score TDs and not settle for FGs. We have an incredible defense, but Manning is going to put some points on the board, no question.

Manning also chews up tons of clock. It isn't abnormal for him to chew up 7 minutes drives easily. That's half the quarter gone in one drive. If he can dink and dunk his way down the field and use up that much of the game, then it will be critical for our Offense to score as much as they can when they have a chance to. We have to force Peyton to not have the luxury of time on his side. If he has to rush drives to keep up with our Offense, then he'll make mistakes.

CANHawk

Reaction score
OMG... Why are these guys getting any kind of pub other than bad? These clowns let Tom Brady run one in on them for a TD. TOM BRADY! Perhaps the only other quarterback out there less mobile than Peyton "Frankenstein" Manning. THIS is the defense that's going to give us problems?!

If I were anyone on the Seattle offense, I would be deathly offended that anyone thinks that crap sandwich of a defense could stop me from doing anything I bloody well felt like.