Preview of Preseason Game 2

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Friday, August 21, 5:00 p.m. PDT at Kansas City
TV: Q13 FOX, Live on NFL Network, Live on NFL Game Pass for out-of-market areas

For shrewd Seahawks fan, all eyes will be on the offensive line when the Seahawks have the football against the Chiefs. This has been an area where the team has elected to rely on the savvy coaching and development of Tom Cable over devoting resources, like cap space and draft capital, that could be used to help the team elsewhere.

The team traded away their best lineman, Max Unger, this off-season and allowed former First Round pick James Carpenter to sign with the New York Jets in free agency for four years, $19.1 million. These two decisions allowed the Seahawks to use that cap space in other ways, namely acquiring All-Pro Jimmy Graham in the Unger trade and extending Pro Bowlers Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, and Bobby Wagner, but it also has left a huge void in experience at center and left guard. Other than re-signing veteran backup center, Lemuel Jeanpeirre, to a minimum salary, the Seahawks elected not to add any other veteran lineman in free agency.

When you combine these cost cutting measures with the fact that, from 2012 until 2014, the team drafted only one offensive lineman higher than the 7th Round (Justin Britt at No. 64 last year), these decision have ultimately left the team with a lot of uncertainty. In a consequential change, Britt has now been moved inside to left guard. Meanwhile, undrafted free agent and former TE, Garry Gilliam, has taken first team reps at right tackle in the last two practices.

Britt started all 16 regular season games during his rookie season, and two of three playoff games, and performed admirably at one of the NFL's most challenging positions: outside pass protector. He ended up allowing 58 QB pressures (according to PFF's database), including six sacks and six QB hits. This was tied with two other players for the 2nd most pressures allowed in the league last season. On the other hand, Britt graded out as the best run blocker, among rookie offensive tackles, and was named to PFF's All-Rookie team for his efforts in 2014.

As a starter at RT, Britt showed a lot of raw power but was limited by his lack of lateral mobility and average arm length (33 1/2"). Many people on this message board and elsewhere felt that Britt could better showcase his unique skill set with a move inside to guard. After allowing a sack by Von Miller in the first preseason game, it appears Britt will finally get his chance to do just that. As Carroll said in his press conference yesterday, "We couldn't wait much longer to do this . . . we have to get better."

Gilliam, for his part, displayed good athleticism while playing 32 backup reps at left tackle in the first preseason game. He tends to play high, and there were a couple miscues from him. On one play, he seemed to be confused when the defensive end faked like he was going outside and then used a quick swim move to get inside. Gilliam looked improved as a run blocker, after getting stronger this off-season and adding weight to his frame to get up to 308 lbs, according to Carroll. As a former TE, he should be somewhat accustomed to lining up on both sides of the line. It will be interesting to see whether he makes his first start at right tackle on Friday and how he responds when he does get reps on the right side of the line.

Much like the Denver Broncos' defensive front, the Kansas City Chiefs have two excellent pass rushers and a stout defensive line. LOLB Justin Houston recently signed a record six-year, $101 million deal with the team that included $52.5 million guaranteed. ROLB Tamba Hali has been one of the league's more violent and aggressive pass rushers since he entered the league in 2006. But at 31 years old, Hali does not have the same level of explosiveness that he once possessed.

In the teams' matchup last November, Max Unger suffered a high-ankle sprain and the offensive line spiraled downward from there. Both Britt and right guard J.R. Sweezy struggled mightily with the Chief's dominant pass rush. Hali alone generated six QB hurries against them, including two QB hits and a sack.

It is unknown how many snaps the Chiefs will risk playing their prized edge rusher, Houston, and the 31-year-old Hali in the second preseason game. For what it's worth, they played just the first ten snaps in the first preseason game. Last year, they played a little more in their second preseason game with each playing 27 snaps.

If Gilliam starts the game at right tackle, I have no doubt Hali will pose a serious challenge for him. Gilliam appears to struggle the most against savvy power rushers like Hali. After playing mostly on the left side until three days ago, it will be a difficult mental challenge for Gilliam to make the adjustment to the right side of the line. I have a feeling a poor outing for Gilliam could spell the end of their experiment with him at right tackle.

The second key thing to watch in this game will be Drew Nowak's performance at center. Tom Cable said Nowak will likely be making his first start on Friday. I thought Nowak showed impressive power and tenacity while taking backup reps in the first preseason game. He seemed to be doing a good job knocking back defensive tackles and getting to the second level to hit linebackers in the run game. He also flashed athleticism in not allowing a single pressure in pass pro. All of his snaps were pretty much on the mark, and there were no bobbled exchanges, which was a good sign. He even showed the quick and decisive decision making to snap the ball early on one play in order to catch the defense offsides.

However, Carroll mentioned that were was some confusion as a result of a lack of communication on the line. Unlike when Unger was commanding the position, all the linemen are currently on their own in terms of making the line calls. In addition, there seemed to be some mistakes by Nowak in his directional blocking, which is critically important in the Seahawks' zone system. We will have to see how he grabs the bull by the horns and improves as a starter in his second outing.

The good news for Nowak -- and extremely bad news for Chiefs fans -- is that their powerful NT, Dontari Poe, will not be playing in this game after undergoing back surgery last month. Head coach Andy Reid said there is a possibility Poe will return this season, which makes him a candidate for the PUP list or IR with return designation.

In Poe's stead, the Chiefs have moved DE Jaye Howard inside to the zero technique. To adjust to the move inside, Howard gained 20 lbs this off-season. I remember Howard looking pretty good in last year's game between the two teams. In particular, he seemed very quick off the ball, though he is unlikely to be the powerful and explosive force that Poe was when he was anchoring the Chiefs' defense. Still, that Nowak-Howard battle will be one to keep an eye on for both teams.

Hebron "Loni" Fangupo is also likely to see reps at NT for the Chiefs. Some might remember Fangupo from a couple seasons ago when he was a rookie on the Seahawks' practice squad. I recall him being an athletic specimen but very raw in terms of his technique and use of leverage. I will be curious to see how much he has improved since that time. Behind Nowak, Jeanpierre and Patrick Lewis will also see time at backup center for the Seahawks.

Another thing to keep an eye on will be the return of dynamic SS Eric Berry. Berry was one of the league's most instinctual safeties, not named Earl Thomas or Kam Chancellor, until he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma last year, a few weeks after their game against the Seahawks. Even as a rival fan, it is impossible not to respect this player and the courageous road he has taken back to the football field.

Sorry about the long post. These are my initial thoughts on this upcoming preseason game. I will add more as we get closer to game time, including some thoughts on the Seahawks' defensive line going against a porous Chiefs' offensive line that will very likely be missing the services of injured starting LT Eric Fisher (high ankle sprain).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good post. I wonder if the Chiefs will play Charles this game, either way Davis and the 3rd string guy aren't bad.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":fgvtjuf4 said:
Good post. I wonder if the Chiefs will play Charles this game, either way Davis and the 3rd string guy aren't bad.

I doubt Charles plays very much. He's a known commodity for them, and there's no use getting him hurt when they could be developing other guys in their stable. He played just two snaps last week. I'm thinking maybe he plays around 10 snaps.

I still have nightmares from when he went off on us last year, post-Mebane injury, for 159 yards and two TDs. After that loss, a lot of people were questioning whether our defensive line was good enough to get us back to another Super Bowl.

Knile Davis is "probable" for the game after suffering a knee sprain against the Cardinals. He also probably won't play too much, but we will see.

All units of the Seahawks' defensive line should have a distinct advantage in this game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I still think we will see a lot of flip flops and players being experimented with and or combinations.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chris98251":pxnlkvpy said:
I still think we will see a lot of flip flops and players being experimented with and or combinations.

I agree. Cable mentioned yesterday that he hopes to have the starting offensive line in place by the end of next week to give the unit a chance over the final couple weeks to build cohesion before the regular-season opener at St. Louis. On the other hand, Carroll said during his press conference that he thought it would take all of the preseason to have it figured out.

At the very least, I like that they are all taking responsibility for it and making moves to get better.

"We've got to be better. We can't have people hit the quarterback like that. It's unacceptable," left tackle Russell Okung said. "We can't have seven sacks a game. I don't care what team is out there."

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/article314767 ... rylink=cpy

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't expect to see major improvement this game. I think it'll take all preseason and bleed into the regular season.

We're still not settled on starters. And the guys we're tinkering with are 1st/2nd year players. I think this won't begin to really sort itself out until after the bye week.

This is by design. We are going cheap on OL in order to have a great defense. That great defense has to win games despite our OL. The DL group is being paid almost 3 times what the OL group is alone.

Our blueprint is to win ugly. To bring other teams to our level and win the tight games. If the defense gives up 20+, we're not playing according to plan. This OL is going to make other defenses look extremely good.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The defensive line's performance in Preseason Game 1 was dominant, but I'm still hoping to see a few more sacks tonight.

Cliff Avril tallied one of the team's two sacks last week, while playing just six total snaps. Michael Bennett (three snaps) also played very little to give the young guys an opportunity to shine. They will be facing off against a Chiefs' offensive line that will be without both starting tackles. Donald Stephenson could be the replacement at LT, with Jarrod Pughsley taking reps at RT. Needless to say, neither of these two players are strong matchups against the ferocious pass rush of Bennett/Avril.

I am also hoping to see a little more from DT Ahtyba Rubin. He allowed played four snaps in the last game and I think he's going to need a little more time in the next couple games to gel with the rest of the defensive line. Despite the Chief's woes at offensive tackle, rookie Mitch Morse looked solid at center for them last week. Morse was a former teammate of Justin Britt at Missouri; he replaced him at LT after Britt declared for the draft. It's interesting that both former blindside protestors have now moved inside for this game. Morse was also a Seahawks draft prospect who visited VMAC. I'm very interested to see how Morse holds up against our defensive line.

T.Y. McGill made an outstanding first impression last week, showing a nice combination of explosiveness and power off the ball. After being not listed on the official Seahawks.com depth chart from last week, it is critically important for McGill to build on that first game with another standout performance tonight.

I fully expect Cassius Marsh, who had three pressures last week, to finish off some of those pressures against a less than stellar group of offensive tackles. On the flip side, Jordan Hill needs a better performance against the run this week. He says he gets off the ball too quickly, which allows the run to escape by him. I think it might be more of an issue of improving his field awareness, staying strong at the point of attack, and keeping his eyes on the backfield.

Frank Clark had an amazing first game against a terrible Broncos' offensive line. I have no doubt he would have similar success tonight, but I don't expect him to play nearly as many snaps after sitting out practice with an ankle sprain.

This is a deep and talented group of defensive linemen. Watching them work should be one of the more enjoyable aspects of Preseason Game 2.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
List of players not expected to play:
S Keenan Lambert, QB Tarvaris Jackson, WR Paul Richardson, WR Chris Matthews, CB Jeremy Lane, CB Will Blackmon, CB Richard Sherman, CB Tharold Simon, CB Marcus Burley, S Earl Thomas, S Ryan Murphy, CB Triston Wade, CB Mohammed Seisay, DE Frank Clark, T Jesse Davis, TE Cooper Helfet, DT David King, DT Jordan Hill.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/21 ... ected-play