Delano Hill is not good enough to be a starter

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":3xqgqyl3 said:
[or christs sake, your bringing up cheap and conserving cap space but want to sign a big money player in Norwell who's scouting notes are these.

Despite his decorated college career, Norwell was considered a borderline NFL prospect because of lingering questions about his athleticism.

We have plenty of those.

Ifedi, Germain G/T
Roos, Jordan G
Pocic, Ethan G/T
Odhiambo, Rees G/T

These guys are known for their athleticism. Raw, raw, athleticism. It was all through their scouting notes.

In fact, the opposite criticism is true - they have all the athleticism you could ask for, but none of the technique. Except for Pocic, who was a technician but lacked strength and anchoring.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":71qt57q0 said:
I agree with the posters who say it's too early. I'm with HB in that I really don't want us to re sign McDougald. He's done really well for us and has earned an extension that I don't think we should pick up. We've seen what he has to offer: he's a solid to good player.

That's not what this team needs. We need elite talent at as many positions as we can. If there's one thing Pete has shown he can do, it's develop elite DB talent. Let's develop the guy we took pretty early relative to most DBs we take.

Pete's track record with DB's has not been nearly as sterling as implied here. Jeremy Lane, Tharold Simon, Eric Pinkins, Tye Smith, Winston Guy, Mark Legree - bargain-bin busts as well as brilliant hits like the Legion (and one of those, Earl Thomas, was a first-round pick). It's also worth mentioning that the secondary coach that helped form the Legion is currently interviewing for head coaching positions elsewhere.

Dollar bills and clear team ledgers don't go to Pro Bowls. At some point, you get what you pay for. We have a LOT of places on the team where both depth and starters are needed, and Seattle has a known quantity in McDougald in a draft that's down on safeties. It wouldn't surprise me to see Seattle re-sign him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
But Norwell is a first team all pro in the NFL just this year, why would you bring up his scouting profile?

My point is I'd rather spend a lot of money on a proven all pro than a mid tier contract on a mid tier player. Eliminate the middle class, ideally.

homerun1970

Reaction score
adeltaY":3g1c6ge0 said:
But Norwell is a first team all pro in the NFL just this year, why would you bring up his scouting profile?

My point is I'd rather spend a lot of money on a proven all pro than a mid tier contract on a mid tier player. Eliminate the middle class, ideally.

Ideal yes. The salary cap makes it realistically impossible though. The teams the 49ers Built under the uncapped years are as close as you will ever see to a team of all upper echelon players. I can't imagine what the cost of that team would be in todays NFL.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I agree but rookie contracts can help with that because they are so cheap. Have to draft well. It's really tough as you say though.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":xsdkvlap said:

Because one system and player usage does not always translate to another teams system and usage. Yes I know they say they use the ZBS as well, but there are a variety of concepts within that name, we use one very close to the Original which is now handicapped by rules.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2jiuj8ch said:

Great analysis cherry picking a single play to say a guy can't start in the NFL

Nothing wrong with your thread questioning Hill's future but your declaration he isn't goo enough to be a starter is hilarious. I might even have to screenshot this thread so I can throw it in your face later like the people who thought we got cute trading down for Bobby Wagner and missing out on Mychal Kendricks

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
olyfan63":2l1q8ara said:
iigakusei":2l1q8ara said:
Earl is one of the best free safeties in the NFL (arguably one of the best of all time) and you want him to change positions?
Where do people come up with these ideas.

Earl is too small to effectively play SS in our scheme. We'd lose him to injury in two stingers flat. Er, two seconds.
And faster than TRULY needed for our SS. He's the perfect FS for our scheme. Switching Earl to SS? Ridiculous.
Haven't seen Earl toss aside quite as many O-Linemen as Kam has.

Why weaken two positions by moving Earl?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2bnk0qfz said:
I might even have to screenshot this thread so I can throw it in your face later

Please do.

Hill would be a disaster as a starter, IMO.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The problem is this whoever we replace him with is likely to be a downgrade from Kam . I really hope they stay at 18 and get someone that has star potential and not another second round grade that can do well but isn't a difference maker. There drafting has got to be better going forward the last few years haven't been good enough.