DeBoer likely going to Bama

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's a shame, I'm sure there's players that transferred to be with this organization just because of him and players still on the team because of him and he just sold his soul to the devil. UW, couldn't do anything to keep him?
So it's begun, top recruits have canceled their commitment as well as other players are re-entering the transfer protocol in the wake of his departure.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
UW is literally in worse shape than they were after 0-12 season in 2008.

That's okay...I'm sure we can right the ship temporarily again in about 15-20 years.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
UW is literally in worse shape than they were after 0-12 season in 2008.

That's okay...I'm sure we can right the ship temporarily again in about 15-20 years.
With NIL & the Portal 2nd tier teams should expect to see wild swings every couple years as a best case scenario.

Only the top tier teams will be able to maintain consistent recruitment while pillaging assets from lesser programs.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
UW has plenty of money to pay a HC
but they cannot get the numerous 4-5 star players
like Alabama can at this point.
It also needs to be said UW is in reload mode for next
season.
KDs stock wasn't going to stay high like now.
I think he's going to hate that job fit wise with his roots
and type of guy he seems to be.
I do think he would fit the NFL better but we will see.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I think He's a terrific coach and I think Alabama will be a contender for years to come. Sure, he's put a lot of pressure on himself with King Kong size shoes to fill. But maybe that's how he likes it.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Doesn’t take much to get eaten alive at a school like that.

Alabama wasn’t much until Saban took over.

Look at Ryan Day at Ohio State, they’re ready to run him out of town. As opposed to Dan Lanning who hasn’t won shit and Oregon fans are ready to chisel him in rock outside the stadium.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So you’re saying he doesn’t understand the “gravity and pressure” but you do?

He understands how to coach winning football, he understands football relationships and he seems to up to date with NIL and Portal maneuvering. The recruiting is almost simple at Alabama, at least for his first couple years.

I don't know this, and either do you. DeBoer's never been anywhere long enough to prove he can recruit successfully...............and certainly not at the level and expectations he'll have on him at Alabama. Even before he took the job UW was like 25th in country in the current recruiting class. He was getting lapped by Oregon and the other Big 10 powerhouses. Not a good sign for a guy at the top of the mountain.

IMO taking over the Michigan job after Harbaugh dips out would have been a better fit for DeBoer, than the insulated good ol' boy network that is the SEC as an outsider.

Because he will get NO rope.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I don't know this, and either do you. DeBoer's never been anywhere long enough to prove he can recruit successfully...............and certainly not at the level and expectations he'll have on him at Alabama. Even before he took the job UW was like 25th in country in the current recruiting class. He was getting lapped by Oregon and the other Big 10 powerhouses. Not a good sign for a guy at the top of the mountain.

IMO taking over the Michigan job after Harbaugh dips out would have been a better fit for DeBoer, than the insulated good ol' boy network that is the SEC as an outsider.

Because he will get NO rope.
I used quotations because you literally said “he” didn’t understand the gravity and pressure. I think he understands quite well what he is getting into. Anybody in the country that has even basic knowledge of college football understands the pressure and expectations of coaching football at Alabama.

2023 the first full group under DeBoer is #25(for now) the previous season was #96…
I would say that was a huge improvement in recruiting.

With NIL and the Portal rules recruiting will never be the same.
The guy has been an absolute winner at every stop, he may never reach Saban status but I think he will be ok.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I used quotations because you literally said “he” didn’t understand the gravity and pressure. I think he understands quite well what he is getting into. Anybody in the country that has even basic knowledge of college football understands the pressure and expectations of coaching football at Alabama.

2023 the first full group under DeBoer is #25(for now) the previous season was #96…
I would say that was a huge improvement in recruiting.

With NIL and the Portal rules recruiting will never be the same.
The guy has been an absolute winner at every stop, he may never reach Saban status but I think he will be ok.

Fair enough, but I don't think anyone outside of the SEC fully understands the gravity of the Alabama job. It's why guys like Norville, Sark, Deebo and Kiffin turned it down before Bama went hard after DeBoer.

There's no room for error, and successful coaches that now have the full power of their boosters, NIL cash and transfer portal know having some leeway with not getting to a national championship game every year, yet still making top coaches money in a place with more forgiveness is a much better coaching life.

So yeah, I don't blame DeBoer. But IMO he's going to crash and burn in a couple years and wish he would have just stayed at UW where he had all the goodwill, loyalty and been beloved by an entire fanbase and region.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
deFRAUD. His players have been calling him out all week. He flat out talked to Alabama BEFORE the championship game.

F that guy.

NoGain

Reaction score
deFRAUD. His players have been calling him out all week. He flat out talked to Alabama BEFORE the championship game.

F that guy.
I never saw/read that he talked to Bama before the title game. Can you give me a link?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was talked about on 710 and some other podcasts. The tweets from players were pretty telling too.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He left them high and dry. Zero respect from me. I have no problem with a guy leaving to go to Alabama.
The way he did it was ridiculous.Fraud1

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kalen wasn't going to get this job if he didn't take it now.

UW would have likely went close to .500 if he stayed. You don't get offered the big jobs after a .500 record.
Not sure he would have done nearly as well without Penix. I don't see him lasting longer than 2 years in AL anyway.

We did OK.
We got near the top of the mountain. We were consistently ranked all year.
Had one of the greatest Huskies to ever play QB.
And now we have a new coach, so our issue with recruiting, (and my concerns about the defense), are no longer concerns. The offense won't be as good, but that is to be expected when you move from 4 NFL WRs to more CFB-level talent.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Kalen wasn't going to get this job if he didn't take it now.

UW would have likely went close to .500 if he stayed. You don't get offered the big jobs after a .500 record.
Not sure he would have done nearly as well without Penix. I don't see him lasting longer than 2 years in AL anyway.

We did OK.
We got near the top of the mountain. We were consistently ranked all year.
Had one of the greatest Huskies to ever play QB.
And now we have a new coach, so our issue with recruiting, (and my concerns about the defense), are no longer concerns. The offense won't be as good, but that is to be expected when you move from 4 NFL WRs to more CFB-level talent.

This is where I'm at. I bet Kalen saw the writing was on the wall after the conclusion of the football season and he knew the Huskies would regress with all their graduates.