DeBoer likely going to Bama

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah this sucks.

I'm sure DeBoer was busy interviewing for the job in the week leading up to the National Championship game, too. Nice. No wonder we lost.

Isn't it just so great being a fan of UW football? Knowing we will NEVER EVER win another championship. Ever. It's literally never going to happen. The administration just does not give a **** about it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It takes generations and generations to get to the level of the top programs in the country fender, and Bama is probably THE most coveted program with the deepest pockets, deepest roots for recruiting and biggest brand in the country.

UW can't compete with that, in any facet. Salary included. DeBoer would be crazy to pass up this opportunity, as hard as it is for me to say that as a Husky fan.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Damn too bad there’s not another candidate who just lost his job who has ties to Seattle and a great track record of winning at the college level

NoGain

Reaction score
I can't fault someone for wanting to leave for a new job with better pay and a greater opportunity for success. It totally sucks, but that's life.

Chapow

Reaction score
It takes generations and generations to get to the level of the top programs in the country fender, and Bama is probably THE most coveted program with the deepest pockets, deepest roots for recruiting and biggest brand in the country.

UW can't compete with that, in any facet. Salary included. DeBoer would be crazy to pass up this opportunity, as hard as it is for me to say that as a Husky fan.

This. As much as it sucks for us, I can absolutely understand his decision. It's the opportunity of a lifetime, and one that may never come again.

Unfortunately, this was inevitable. He's been so successful everywhere he's been, he was almost certainly going to get poached by either one of the blue blood programs or the NFL sooner rather than later.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This. As much as it sucks for us, I can absolutely understand his decision. It's the opportunity of a lifetime, and one that may never come again.

Unfortunately, this was inevitable. He's been so successful everywhere he's been, he was almost certainly going to get poached by either one of the blue blood programs or the NFL sooner rather than later.

Having said what I said above, I don't think it will go well for DeBoer.

Dude's an amazing football coach, but IMO he doesn't understand the gravity and pressure of what he's getting himself into. In no world could he, or will he live up to arguably the greatest college coach in history.

There's also the part where DeBoer's never proven himself in the recruiting and development of players part of coaching. No stop has he stayed long enough to prove to people he can recruit and develop. Of course he'll have the deepest recruiting roots in the country, and all the NIL money he wants......but still I think he would have been happier here without the pressure of getting fired if you don't win 11 games and play for National Championships every year.

Which IS the expectation at Alabama. Every..............single..............year.

NoGain

Reaction score
Kalen DeBoer, Dan Lanning, and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting were the bright new shiny objects of the college coaching ranks. Once Lanning decided to stay at Oregon, I couldn't think of a rising star on a par with DeBoer if Alabama was to go that route.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't understand his decision.

1. Living in Alabama over Washington? Really? ******* stupid.

2. Already proved that you can win a natty at UW. So what the ****? Guess it ain't about winning.

3. You really need $12m a year instead of $10m a year? What the **** do you need that extra money for? It won't make you happy. It won't do shit. Diminishing returns after the first couple million. Duh. Everyone with half a brain knows that.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Having said what I said above, I don't think it will go well for DeBoer.

Dude's an amazing football coach, but IMO he doesn't understand the gravity and pressure of what he's getting himself into. In no world could he, or will he live up to arguably the greatest college coach in history.

There's also the part where DeBoer's never proven himself in the recruiting and development of players part of coaching. No stop has he stayed long enough to prove to people he can recruit and develop. Of course he'll have the deepest recruiting roots in the country, and all the NIL money he wants......but still I think he would have been happier here without the pressure of getting fired if you don't win 11 games and play for National Championships every year.

Which IS the expectation at Alabama. Every..............single..............year.
So you’re saying he doesn’t understand the “gravity and pressure” but you do?

He understands how to coach winning football, he understands football relationships and he seems to up to date with NIL and Portal maneuvering. The recruiting is almost simple at Alabama, at least for his first couple years.

Echawks

Reaction score
sorry for the loss.. being a duck fan i know the sick feelings you are having..

NoGain

Reaction score
From an ESPN writer...

"For UW, it's simple: Ryan Grubb should be elevated from offensive coordinator to head coach immediately. If you are reading this and new UW athletic director Troy Dannen hasn't already hired Grubb to replace DeBoer, he's moving too slowly."

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Promoting a coordinator is a huge gamble. Plain and simple.

Jim Lambright
Jimmy Lake
Keith Gilbertson

Need I go on? The head coach is what makes 99% of the difference. Hoping that Grubb was a major part of what made Washington so successful for 2 years is just completely ignorant to anyone who has a basic understanding of football.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's a shame, I'm sure there's players that transferred to be with this organization just because of him and players still on the team because of him and he just sold his soul to the devil. UW, couldn't do anything to keep him?