Dear Defense: It’s OK to get beat deep sometimes....

timmat

Reaction score
First off, awesome to see a huge defensive stop preserve the W. However, this concept of soft zone and allowing 7 to 12 yds over and over, with 11 to 15 play drives - game after game - is gonna bite us.

Press with our DBs. Keep your zone even if you want - but tighten it up and be more aggressive. And yes - giving up a big play will happen. But is that always a terrible thing if it eliminates many of the easy 8yd first down conversions? Maybe even combine a blitz AND press coverage so we don’t give the QB so many different options for a quick pass to beat the blitz.

I’d give up some quick strikes if it meant the D on the field less overall. I think we had 3 possessions in the 2nd half prior to the kneel downs. Our D philosophy seems to be that if we force them to run a zillion plays, sooner or later they fumble or throw a pick. But that really only works against teams with lesser QBs.

getnasty

Reaction score
If we can get pressure with 4 then i agree if we have to blitzs leaving no help over the top the i'm fine giving up s hand full of 7 yard out routes(see tonight)