Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The playcalling was called in that manner to set a physical tone and then wear down the small Falcons defense later in the game. This has actually worked many times this season, the Dallas/Jets and bears games come to mind and it worked again today, they were gassed in the second half.

And he actually called a lot of deep shots in the first half, it just wasn't open.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
GeekHawk":8dyq8xp6 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":8dyq8xp6 said:
Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....

This does not change the fact that Bevel is an idiot.

An idiot who orchestrated four touchdown drives in the second half and more than 400 points on the season.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
That was the first time all season that Robinson didn't get the first down on a short yardage play and it was because Giacomini missed his block.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3b01lvqo said:
That was the first time all season that Robinson didn't get the first down on a short yardage play and it was because Giacomini missed his block.

Remember not executing run blocks is Bevell's fault for calling a run.

jdblack

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3ie83h5d said:
The playcalling was called in that manner to set a physical tone and then wear down the small Falcons defense later in the game. This has actually worked many times this season, the Dallas/Jets and bears games come to mind.

And he actually called a lot of deep shots in the first half, it just wasn't open.

That makes sense pre-game, but it only works if the run is not going so completely shutdown as it was today because they were over-committing to run defense. Bevell needed to adjust quicker, as soon as he saw how the defense was consistantly lining up.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":234dku3q said:
Ignoring Marshawn for a couple 4th-and-1 attempts is genius play-calling, then? :roll:

You think Lynch would have gotten the 1st down? In his worst game of the season to boot?
Watch the play again, even at his best Beastmode would have been gobbled up there, we failed to get that through poor blocking, not poor running back play.

Though, with that said, the Falcons had been stopping the run well all game, I'd have went for a play action pass/designed roll-out

GeekHawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":249thnr8 said:
GeekHawk":249thnr8 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":249thnr8 said:
Apparently he was run blocking and tackling in the first half for us though....

This does not change the fact that Bevel is an idiot.

An idiot who orchestrated four touchdown drives in the second half and more than 400 points on the season.

What makes me call him an idiot is the fact that this keeps happening in the second half, after he gives up and puts the game on Wilson's shoulders instead of his own playcalling. I can see this happening a few times, but should have been corrected by himself long ago. Idiot...

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Bevell's biggest issue is that he should be a lot better than he is. His play calling can be totally boneheaded when he has to think on the fly, and at times it can be incredible when he has a plan put together. Im not a big fan of his play design, but he is so hot and cold you just want to smack the guy when he seems to be in a rut.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2qxpwlih said:
Bevell's biggest issue is that he should be a lot better than he is. His play calling can be totally boneheaded when he has to think on the fly, and at times it can be incredible when he has a plan put together. Im not a big fan of his play design, but he is so hot and cold you just want to smack the guy when he seems to be in a rut.

THIS. Except, most of his cold spots are in the first halves of games, and the hot ones are in the second halves.

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":25n2wlhp said:

I really dont know what it is anymore. I'm yet to see any evidence that the Seahawks cant do whatever they want, really, offensively. I understood, but disagreed, keeping things simple the first 7 weeks. And...I lost my train of thought.

I'm too discouraged.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell is doing a great job and I hope he continues to do a great job for this team. Last thing Russell Wilson needs is a different coordinator every year.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1t5lt728 said:
Darrell Bevell is doing a great job and I hope he continues to do a great job for this team. Last thing Russell Wilson needs is a different coordinator every year.

Yes. This last point is the most important. I hope Bevell/Wilson/Cable stay together for at least 2 more seasons.

hawk45

Reaction score
It took us too long to figure out that we did more harm than good by trying to protect Russell by relying heavily on the run. Earlier in the season that ended up putting us in these razor close games where there was even MORE pressure on the kid to try and lead a game winning drive, which he often did (when the defense wasn't busy allowing the opposition to come back with their own game-winner).

It also takes Bevell too long, in-game, to realize when his initial plan isn't working and it's time to just put it in Russell's hands and let him make plays. That was the story of this game.

I understand why on both accounts. We've had success running the ball, and Russell is a rookie QB. But it's not the run that makes us dangerous it is Russell Wilson.

I think Bevell wants to justify his paycheck and be cute and my uneducated opinion is that the offense is far better when the ball is in Wilson's hands and he can choose to throw, scramble, or bolt from the pocket.

Use the read option and the run for sure if it works right off the bat or if we have a lead. But I think we should have a hair-trigger to switch to the all-Russell-mode offense and I think Bevell isn't quick enough on the draw there and it hurt us this year and in this game.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should switch OCs, just what my criticism of Bevell is.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I have to wonder if Bevell was distracted from his game planning for this game by all the head coaching overtures? Is it fair to wonder that?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":f934cj1q said:
It took us too long to figure out that we did more harm than good by trying to protect Russell by relying heavily on the run. Earlier in the season that ended up putting us in these razor close games where there was even MORE pressure on the kid to try and lead a game winning drive, which he often did (when the defense wasn't busy allowing the opposition to come back with their own game-winner).

It also takes Bevell too long, in-game, to realize when his initial plan isn't working and it's time to just put it in Russell's hands and let him make plays. That was the story of this game.

I understand why on both accounts. We've had success running the ball, and Russell is a rookie QB. But it's not the run that makes us dangerous it is Russell Wilson.

I think Bevell wants to justify his paycheck and be cute and my uneducated opinion is that the offense is far better when the ball is in Wilson's hands and he can choose to throw, scramble, or bolt from the pocket.

Use the read option and the run for sure if it works right off the bat or if we have a lead. But I think we should have a hair-trigger to switch to the all-Russell-mode offense and I think Bevell isn't quick enough on the draw there and it hurt us this year and in this game.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should switch OCs, just what my criticism of Bevell is.
You beat me to many of the points I was going to make. Great minds think alike? LOL
I think we'll see them really let Russ loose sooner next year. Sure hope so.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm alright with Bevell staying, ***IF*** he can learn to be AGGRESSIVE from the beginning with his play-calling. I seriously question his ability to do this, however.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think I'd be just fine with losing Bevell. Or, if that would hurt continuity, if we kept Bevell but just sewed his mouth shut. We have to be honest about what Bevell's WAR would be. He did great in Minny with an all-world OL, AP, and Brett Favre. I'm supposed to believe that's all Bevell? He did great in SEA with a Cable-led OL, Lynch, and all-world rookie QB Russell Wilson. I'm supposed to give the Lion's share of credit to Bevell?

I mean come on, who doesn't think that a simple OC who just sprinkled in runs and read options early, then switched to all-Russell mode quickly if that didn't work out, would do just as good or better than Bevell? I'm being dead serious. The OC can be a weapon when they make the offense diverse, I think Russell's multi-tool arsenal does that all on his own better than Bevell can.

That's where I am on this one.

pinksheets

Reaction score
ATL did a superb job of shutting down the run in the first half, forced us to be one dimensional, and covered well. We outcoached them in the 2nd half with superior adjustments, but it just wasn't enough to overcome that 20 point deficit enough to hold the win. Bevell did what he should have, attacked a weak run defense, unfortunately, they were better prepared than anyone expected.

Latest posts