Darrell Bevell, you're an idiot.

canfan

Reaction score
rsRyno":n2fa4vl3 said:
Why is Bevell the only one getting bashed for this? Don't get me wrong, he makes me want to rip my hair out at times and I personally wouldn't be upset in the slightest if he were to leave, but he's not the only problem. Cable gets held up on a pedestal, yet our o-line consistently sucks (they barely blocked the 3 rushers on the Hail Mary vs. Atlanta). I do however understand that he has done a lot with unknown guys, so perhaps it has more to do with talent. My main issue is Carroll. For most people on this board, if you say anything bad about him, it's blasphemy. I call BS. Carroll had said multiple times that he dictates what Bevell is allowed to call. So why is he getting a pass all the time? Pete has done a lot with this team and for this team. But he's done plenty to hurt them as well. And before you pull the "look at where this team was before he got here and where they are now" card, he's not the only one calling shots. Schneider is a HUGE cog in the decision making. Pete got us Lendale White and Charlie Whitehurst. Schneider got us Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. If not for Schneider, Wilson would not be a part of this team.... And yes I realize I'm simply picking a couple of players for my point, but those 4 players show how important Schneider is...

Pete needs to stop playing "to not lose games" and begin playing to win every game.

How amazing!! Schneider picks all the good players and Pete handpicks all the bums! Guess we need to take away his key to the executive washroom! :roll:

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
canfan":ahqrczda said:
Poor Bevell - in one brief season he has gone from a blithering idiot to a genius and now back to a mouth breather who needs the drool wiped off his chin for him. The D gives up a lead with about 30 seconds left in the game and the ball on the Falcon's 27 yard line. Yeah, you're absolutely right - its all Bevell's fault.

Intelligent post.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xqc8um6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1xqc8um6 said:
Yep. You don't roll up almost 500 yards of offense due to poor play calling.
Dude, look at the drive chart for the game. There's a strong assertion to be made that we had poor play-calling in the first half based solely off of that, even. We got most of our yards in the second half. You know, when we actually got aggressive on offense.

Yards on offense by half:
1st half: 184 yards
2nd half: 299 yards.

Significantly more chain-moving in the 2nd half. The Washington game had a more even yardage-gain set of numbers by half, but it's really skewed like: 1st quarter OMG nothing, we actually finished with -2 yards, then 2nd/3rd/4th quarters, lot of yards.

That's why you take the entire game into account when you're talking about stats, and not just criticize the first half plays.

This game was not lost because of Bevell's play calling. This game was lost because our defense couldn't stop the Falcons pretty much the entire game. Period.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gfkd0zhu said:
That's why you take the entire game into account when you're talking about stats, and not just criticize the first half plays.

This game was not lost because of Bevell's play calling. This game was lost because our defense couldn't stop the Falcons pretty much the entire game. Period.

I am taking the entire game into account. The defense did not play well; but as I said before, if we had called plays in the first half as we did in the second, we'd have had like 45 points. Comfortable win. You can re-assign blame all you want, but this thread is about Bevell and his vanilla first halves, specifically.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1sxrlo6f said:
if we had called plays in the first half as we did in the second, we'd have had like 45 points. Comfortable win. You can re-assign blame all you want, but this thread is about Bevell and his vanilla first halves, specifically.

You're assuming Atlanta was playing the same defense in the first half as they were in the 2nd. But they weren't.

The Falcons were stacking up against the run in the first half, which is why Lynch couldn't do anything. In the 2nd half they went to a softer zone which allowed us to complete all those intermediate 10-15 yard passes.

So if you're going to criticize Bevell's first half play calling, you have to take into account what the Falcons were doing. The play calling in the 2nd half would not have worked in the first half because Atlanta was not playing the same defense, they were playing tighter D.

Besides, we moved the ball just fine in the first half, we just couldn't score. That's execution.

Largent80

Reaction score
Prior to the game the Hawks were great at running the ball...Atlanta, crappy at stopping it.

Prior to the game Atlanta was crappy at running the ball, us , good at stopping it.

The game?...a total reversal of all of that.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I wish the OP had said "Darrell Bevell, your an idiot" .... would have made this thread more enjoyable.

rsRyno

Reaction score
canfan":ps78e32e said:
rsRyno":ps78e32e said:
Why is Bevell the only one getting bashed for this? Don't get me wrong, he makes me want to rip my hair out at times and I personally wouldn't be upset in the slightest if he were to leave, but he's not the only problem. Cable gets held up on a pedestal, yet our o-line consistently sucks (they barely blocked the 3 rushers on the Hail Mary vs. Atlanta). I do however understand that he has done a lot with unknown guys, so perhaps it has more to do with talent. My main issue is Carroll. For most people on this board, if you say anything bad about him, it's blasphemy. I call BS. Carroll had said multiple times that he dictates what Bevell is allowed to call. So why is he getting a pass all the time? Pete has done a lot with this team and for this team. But he's done plenty to hurt them as well. And before you pull the "look at where this team was before he got here and where they are now" card, he's not the only one calling shots. Schneider is a HUGE cog in the decision making. Pete got us Lendale White and Charlie Whitehurst. Schneider got us Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson. If not for Schneider, Wilson would not be a part of this team.... And yes I realize I'm simply picking a couple of players for my point, but those 4 players show how important Schneider is...

Pete needs to stop playing "to not lose games" and begin playing to win every game.

How amazing!! Schneider picks all the good players and Pete handpicks all the bums! Guess we need to take away his key to the executive washroom! :roll:

*sigh*

Why is that some people insist on picking out only one minor thing that was said and try to bash it? I didn't say Carroll hasn't had a ton to do with the roster. I was purely trying show that saying he's been the one to turn this team's roster over isn't correct. He and Schneider both have a say in personnel. I was hoping to cut off the people giving Carroll all the credit. Guess I should've known there would be at least one person on here that can't read and understand an entire post. My post was about it not all being on Bevell. Carroll has a big hand in the offensive scheme.

ATLFalFan

Reaction score
Largent80":1plrahox said:
Prior to the game the Hawks were great at running the ball...Atlanta, crappy at stopping it.

Prior to the game Atlanta was crappy at running the ball, us , good at stopping it.

The game?...a total reversal of all of that.

This

Latest posts