Countdown For The Dumping On Michael To Begin

Hawks46

Reaction score
I've been high on Michaels athleticism, but I've also been a detractor since last year. My opinion was if he didn't get it by now, he wouldn't.

MIchaels showed both speed, quickness and power tonight. His fumble was a bone headed play, but he looked really good in pass protection, which was an issue with him. He picked up two blitzes and stoned both guys in their tracks. That's not easy when you're picking up a blitzing 240 lb LBer coming full speed at you.

Like Fade said, let's see what he has this preseason.

I also agree with one of the above posters: trying to evaluate RBs behind this OL is futile.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hawks46":nz628xul said:
I've been high on Michaels athleticism, but I've also been a detractor since last year. My opinion was if he didn't get it by now, he wouldn't.

MIchaels showed both speed, quickness and power tonight. His fumble was a bone headed play, but he looked really good in pass protection, which was an issue with him. He picked up two blitzes and stoned both guys in their tracks. That's not easy when you're picking up a blitzing 240 lb LBer coming full speed at you.

Like Fade said, let's see what he has this preseason.

I also agree with one of the above posters: trying to evaluate RBs behind this OL is futile.

Agreed.

Short leash...I mean this is his third year. NOTHING keeps Pete up at night more than turnovers. NOTHING. I love his speed and quick moves and I really loved his picking up those blitzes for sure but as long as he remains inconsistent, he will continue to find himself on the outside looking in.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawks46":8318xdei said:

Not sure I follow. This line, overall, is average. In the running game they are very good, maybe even great - even with the departures of Unger and Carpenter. They are maulers, and create a lot of space in the run game, as evidenced by the No. 3 rushing attack in NFL history last season. Or is most of that attributed to the 849 yards that Russ picked up on the ground last season, with at least half of those coming because the pocket collapsed immediately? Honest question, because sometimes I feel like I overstate how good this line is in the running game.

Exittium

Reaction score
Rob12":1f11n7ja said:
Hawks46":1f11n7ja said:

Not sure I follow. This line, overall, is average. In the running game they are very good, maybe even great - even with the departures of Unger and Carpenter. They are maulers, and create a lot of space in the run game, as evidenced by the No. 3 rushing attack in NFL history last season. Or is most of that attributed to the 849 yards that Russ picked up on the ground last season, with at least half of those coming because the pocket collapsed immediately? Honest question, because sometimes I feel like I overstate how good this line is in the running game.

Well Everyone is raving about smith.. or a lot of people are.. But look at his situation vs Rawls, CMike and Turbin, by the time they had the ball the pocket was collapsed and defenders already on them. Where as with Smith archer was dumping the ball to him in "open space" where he could run more freely. Once Rawls got that same chance he ran that TD in.

Fade

Reaction score
chet380":3ni9yvw7 said:
"Christine Michael reminds me of Ahman Green, who coincidentally also had a fumble problem early in his career."

As did Tiki Barber.

another one.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I love Michael! I think he shows flashes that are fantastic and he did tonight but that fumble definitely hurt him. I think Rawls was fantastic basically playing against the same people Michael was. I think Michael's biggest problem is Rawls is probably too good to not be picked up by another team so we can't stash him on the practice squad. Obviously Smith looked fantastic but I'm thinking that was the competition he was playing against and the fact it was the 2 minute offense and the defense was in the prevent. I think Michaels competition is Rawls and at this point it is Rawls 1 Michaels 0.

Fade

Reaction score
peppersjap":mj9rpwuc said:
I love Michael! I think he shows flashes that are fantastic and he did tonight but that fumble definitely hurt him. I think Rawls was fantastic basically playing against the same people Michael was. I think Michael's biggest problem is Rawls is probably too good to not be picked up by another team so we can't stash him on the practice squad. Obviously Smith looked fantastic but I'm thinking that was the competition he was playing against and the fact it was the 2 minute offense and the defense was in the prevent. I think Michaels competition is Rawls and at this point it is Rawls 1 Michaels 0.

Rawls .5 Michael 0

Rawls did a good job not turning it over, but did you see him hesitate on that short yardage situation? That was awful.
Rawls also mostly went against 3s while Michael went against 2s.

I have both Rawls & Michael making the team unless Michael keeps fumbling of course.

25 on Offense (will change obviously)

QB 27 Russell Wilson
QB 32 TARVARIS JACKSON

RB 29 Marshawn Lynch
RB 25 Robert Turbin
RB 24 Christine Michael
RB 22 Thomas Rawls (R)
FB 25 Derrick Coleman

WR 27 Doug Baldwin
WR 25 Jermaine Kearse
WR 23 Tyler Lockett (R)
WR 26 Chris Matthews
WR 29 Ricardo Lockette
WR 23 Kevin Smith

TE 29 Jimmy Graham
TE 25 Luke Willson
TE 26 Cooper Helfet

LT 28 Russell Okung
LG 24 Alvin Bailey
OC 25 Drew Nowak
RG 26 J.R. Sweezy
RT 24 Justin Britt
CG 28 Lemuel Jeanpierre
OT 25 Garry Gilliam
OL 23 Mark Glowinski (R)
OG 24 Kristjan Sokoli (R)

--> I'm just trying to point out it is not an either or situation with Michael & Rawls.
--> They CAN keep both. :th2thumbs:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":3mr8vl8z said:
chet380":3mr8vl8z said:
"Christine Michael reminds me of Ahman Green, who coincidentally also had a fumble problem early in his career."

As did Tiki Barber.

another one.

Nice comparisons. Ahman Green had a nice career after leaving Seattle.

Possibly this may be the year CMike wakes up and realizes it's the NFL and he has to work at it to get on the field.
Maturity/smarts/whatever the issue is, it's hard not to feel like giving up on CMike. The talent is definitely there.

All that said, he had a nice pass-pro block or two, for a change.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2hsniqrq said:
Turbin is never going to be better than average. Ever.

I actually think average is a charitable description. He is a serviceable back that can catch the ball. I like him but let's be honest.

But I don't think Walter Payton could have gotten many yards behind this dogcrap we call an OL. Maybe Barry Sanders, MAYBE. So expecting to evaluate runningbacks behind it? Foolish or dumb, you pick.

The dumping is deserved but it shouldn't be on Michael. It needs to be squarely leveled at the OL. Maybe we should pick up Bowie from the Browns since they will likely cut him?

Michael fumbled once. I get it.

But that OL was so vomit inducing I am confused as to why you would think it would matter? Did you think we could have moved down the field anyway? With no protection and no opening of holes for the RB?
Turbin is only not a starter in this league because he's behind Beast Mode.

Michael can't get any playing time because he's buried behind Turbin.

Run blocking is actually the one thing our O-line does do a decent job of.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks should trade Michael now while he may have some perceived value. The rate he's going he'll have zero value by the end of next two weeks. Even if it's for a late 7th round pick, trade him.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Michael knows he has a fumbling and ball handling problem
The coaches know Michael has a fumbling and ball handling problem
The fans know Michael has a fumbling and ball handling problem
Opposing defenses know Michael has a fumbling and ball handling problem

So going out in game 1 and fumbling on one of your first opportunities is a poor look, not to mention the fact that on his first carry he got tackled and was down but still basically dropped the ball.

he can go be someone else's "Ahman Green" in my opinion, if that's the only reason to give him a roster spot.

Cut him yesterday and move on. I'm all for showing patience with these D-line guys that can at least hop in and fill some kind of role when they are healthy even if they haven't been for several seasons. Michael is just a waste of a roster spot if he can't hold on to the football.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":14fx9hut said:
Michael fumbled the ball when he tried to transfer it to his left hand. Michael easily looked the most explosive of the RBs, I'm willing to give him the entire preseason before I hop on the cut him train.

My concern with Rawls going into the game was if he was fast enough to be a #1, and he confirmed that concern for me. He has all the tools except speed. So career backup at best.

It's not the 40 time it's the 7 yd time and being able to cut, Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen and many others had slow 40's they were career back ups as well?

Speed is great, it can cover up mistakes also.

I think the push for his roster spot is real and I think Michael knows it, these are not just camp bodies this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The tides turn quickly. This guy was like .net's favorite player not too long ago. I read the word "explosive" so often I heard it in my sleep.

You know, if Michael ever gets to a team that let's him be himself: stay right-handed, doesn't need to block much, is allowed to drop it some ...I think he still has some potential to be a highlight guy. And I'm not being facetious. There are teams that forgive all kinds of stuff and there are all kinds of unorthodox runners (Demarco Murray?). I just don't think that's going to be here. The run game is Carroll and Cable's show. If you can't secure the ball and you can't help the line, you're done. He will never, ever surpass Robert Turbin in that respect. I'm not convinced this is his last offseason, but he's got an uphill battle. I'd like to see him get some extended run with the 1s soon. Can't put it on the ground again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jqkvdldm said:
The tides turn quickly. This guy was like .net's favorite player not too long ago. I read the word "explosive" so often I heard it in my sleep.

You know, if Michael ever gets to a team that let's him be himself: stay right-handed, doesn't need to block much, is allowed to drop it some ...I think he still has some potential to be a highlight guy. And I'm not being facetious. There are teams that forgive all kinds of stuff and there are all kinds of unorthodox runners (Demarco Murray?). I just don't think that's going to be here. The run game is Carroll and Cable's show. If you can't secure the ball and you can't help the line, you're done. He will never, ever surpass Robert Turbin in that respect. I'm not convinced this is his last offseason, but he's got an uphill battle. I'd like to see him get some extended run with the 1s soon. Can't put it on the ground again.
CMike as a part of the fastest show on turf? Those guys didn't give a crap about fumbling.

Laloosh

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sv4l5hr said:

He's still got all of the physical traits. He also seems to have just what it takes to stomp on our hopes and dreams at the absolute worst time. I don't feel like he's bad, he'd just scare the hell out of me if we had to rely on the guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
I remember Larry Brown having this problem, George Allen made him carry a football with him for like a week or maybe longer everywhere he went. It fixed the problem.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Dump_Truck_1b.jpg